Google Nexus 5X by LG User Thread (LG H790)

WiWavelength

My 5X arrived today, much to my surprise because it only shipped last night! Turns out it came from a distribution center in Chicago and FedEx is delivering on Mondays right now.

First impressions of this phone are great. I just got it setup and am loving it already. No noticeable lag to speak of yet. I noticed HDR+ photos take awhile to process which I believe was one of the complaints. So far I actually think this phone is flying. Downloading all my apps went pretty quick.

And an FYI since this is little documented, advanced calling aka VoLTE comes up when I put a Verizon SIM in, and to my surprise VoLTE is already working on T-Mobile with this phone too (the interwebs said they didn't have it working with T-Mo as of release). No VoLTE from at&t of course.

I have my at&t SIM in and it right away connected to band 4 from 3 miles away, switched off to B17 and is now happily parked on -112 dbm band 2 from a tower three miles away where my iPhone 6 would only camp on it when it was sitting down.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

So to answer my own question from before about how well the 5X performs on GSM carriers, so far it's quite well. On at&t's network I drop off LTE in my basement when a phone is in my pocket normally and this phone didn't. I put it in the "black hole" zone on the concrete floor in a very particular spot that makes phones lose signal all together and it didn't, it clung to 1 bar of WCDMA which my iPhone 6 does too (but not without falling to searching and no service first for a few minutes).

I'm pleased with RF so far, makes my Nexus 5 look like a total POS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my area the Nexus 5X holds onto a Sprint signal for dear life before going to roaming. It will try to stay on 3G, 1X or LTE to the very last moment and then some before roaming.

At first I thought the phone did not or could not roam.

• Like 1

My 5X arrived today, much to my surprise because it only shipped last night! Turns out it came from a distribution center in Chicago and FedEx is delivering on Mondays right now.

First impressions of this phone are great. I just got it setup and am loving it already. No noticeable lag to speak of yet. I noticed HDR+ photos take awhile to process which I believe was one of the complaints. So far I actually think this phone is flying. Downloading all my apps went pretty quick.

And an FYI since this is little documented, advanced calling aka VoLTE comes up when I put a Verizon SIM in, and to my surprise VoLTE is already working on T-Mobile with this phone too (the interwebs said they didn't have it working with T-Mo as of release). No VoLTE from at&t of course.

I have my at&t SIM in and it right away connected to band 4 from 3 miles away, switched off to B17 and is now happily parked on -112 dbm band 2 from a tower three miles away where my iPhone 6 would only camp on it when it was sitting down.

I'm only speaking to capturing HDR+.....

There is going to be lag. Takes a lot of processing power to capture those shots.

On my 6P?

Not as much but you should be expecting lag with HDR+.

VoLTE works on T-Mobile but band 12 doesn't (yet, no word on when).

That whole situation is weird. If VZW were doing this the Magentans would be the same people laughing at Verizon for, say, forcing manufacturers to pull Band 13 access, for example.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hey guys. Is anyone else having issues with Bluetooth in their car?

I'll be listening to music fine and get a call. When I hang up the call, my music stutters to no end and the only fix is to reboot the device. At first I thought it was my ROM but another user on XDA got this issue on stock so I'm just curious if anyone else is having this issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

That whole situation is weird. If VZW were doing this the Magentans would be the same people laughing at Verizon for, say, forcing manufacturers to pull Band 13 access, for example.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It's not that simple. My guess is that T-Mobile withholds approval of band 12 on a handset until they can test and validate it can handle the various cartwheels it needs the device to turn in order to be compliant with some of their concurrent operating agreements.

You can read more about what those devices have to do in order to be compliant here: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applAdmin.jsp?applID=9040203#attachments (click on the Engineering Statement)

Edited by GoWireless

I started using the N5X on Verizon today through Straight Talk and everything's been smooth so far. It's the same $45 for unlimited talk and text with 5GB of high-speed 4G data that I was using with an AT&T SIM.

I've heard that Verizon speeds are throttled more on ST vs at&t on ST. Probably way better coverage with Verizon though.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

That seems to be true so far. On ST AT&T, the highest DL speed I got was around 40 mbps. On Verizon, the highest DL I've seen is 6 mbps. Not surprised knowing it's Verizon, the greediest & least generous of all USA carriers.

Hey guys. Is anyone else having issues with Bluetooth in their car?

I'll be listening to music fine and get a call. When I hang up the call, my music stutters to no end and the only fix is to reboot the device. At first I thought it was my ROM but another user on XDA got this issue on stock so I'm just curious if anyone else is having this issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Yes. Bluetooth is terrible in my car. Stock rom not rooted.

Yes. Bluetooth is terrible in my car. Stock rom not rooted.

Terrible overall, or are you experiencing the bug with the stuttering?  

I'm thinking about processing an exchange to maybe fix the issue.  I wonder, will they give me a refurb or a new unit?

Stupid phone. I just upgraded to 6.0.1 and now my sprint experience is bad again. This happened with the first Nexus 5 as well. I bought a strong performer and on the first update, it went to below average.

There is a possibility this is due to Sprint... Sprint in OC likes to go for a few months of crappiness and then a couple weeks of nirvana and then back to months of crappiness. Their network engineers here need to be the first ones to be shown the door.

Stupid phone. I just upgraded to 6.0.1 and now my sprint experience is bad again. This happened with the first Nexus 5 as well. I bought a strong performer and on the first update, it went to below average.

There is a possibility this is due to Sprint... Sprint in OC likes to go for a few months of crappiness and then a couple weeks of nirvana and then back to months of crappiness. Their network engineers here need to be the first ones to be shown the door.

I've noticed my LTE doesn't come back as often and I drop to 3G at home randomly. Not sure if it's my local site or not but I think you're right. I just took 6.0.1 update when it came out.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Flash the old radio, that's the beauty of a Nexus device :).

Just flashed the old radio.  It has CA and triband so I don't see much of a need to use the new one anyways.  Back to being on LTE 99% of the time. :D  This is definitely awesome considering my previous devices would soft-brick if you flashed out-dated radios.

• Like 2

Flash the old radio, that's the beauty of a Nexus device :).

Just flashed the old radio.  It has CA and triband so I don't see much of a need to use the new one anyways.  Back to being on LTE 99% of the time. :D  This is definitely awesome considering my previous devices would soft-brick if you flashed out-dated radios.

Where did yall find the old radio to flash? My google-fu is failing me :(

Where did yall find the old radio to flash? My google-fu is failing me :(

I haven't attempted it myself (I haven't gotten the OTA prompt yet) but the old flashable radio IMGs are always in the factory images and you should just be able to fastboot flash radio <name-of-radio.img> with no problems. Obviously it would be more convenient to use a mirror of the radios specifically, but that may not exist yet.

I haven't attempted it myself (I haven't gotten the OTA prompt yet) but the old flashable radio IMGs are always in the factory images and you should just be able to fastboot flash radio <name-of-radio.img> with no problems. Obviously it would be more convenient to use a mirror of the radios specifically, but that may not exist yet.

This is your only option at the moment, normally there is one specific user on XDA that makes flashable zips of the radios. However I believe he's on a 6p at the moment.