Google Nexus 5X by LG User Thread (LG H790)

WiWavelength

Ordered it from Google.

Went online and found that it needed a special sim, couldn't just cut my N5 sim to fit. Called the store, told me to call Sprint cause it needed to be ordered, so I did Chat which gave me some special number to call.

Then went to the online portal of which my phone does not appear in the system. Chat confirmed of which they put in a ticket for me.

I did take advantage of the ProjectFi deal, so the phone did have to activate on ProjectFi. But that is cancelled. Does Google send Sprint a list of phones that get activated on ProjectFi so Sprint to remove them from the Whitelist?

Folks, I am sorry, but I have little sympathy for this.  Receiving a service paired discount on an MVNO device, then almost immediately canceling service to move that device to Sprint is borderline fraud.  And to protect its MVNO partners, this may be a reason why Sprint makes returning to the whitelist a compatible BYOD device that has been on an MVNO not all that easy.

AJ

• Like 4

Folks, I am sorry, but I have little sympathy for this.  Receiving a service paired discount on an MVNO device, then almost immediately canceling service to move that device to Sprint is borderline fraud.  And to protect its MVNO partners, this may be a reason why Sprint makes returning to the whitelist a compatible BYOD device that has been on an MVNO not all that easy.

AJ

Sympathy for what?  Making it slightly more difficult to get a phone on the network?  TMo is pretty big MVNO provider and doesn't really have this issue as far as I am aware.

And not fraud.  Google's only requirement was to activate service.  I fulfilled that requirement. If they don't want people to take the device off Fi a day, or a week later, then they should put a clause in there that says "keep Fi service active for a month", "for a year", "for life of the device", or something.  

The big thing is they need to move N5X, so to move some N5X they did the sale to get people onto Fi to at least try it for a day.  Google knows with the N5X being unlocked, that people are going to take the device to their carrier of choice.  If they didn't want people to do this they would have added some extra clauses.   The N5X is NOT selling.  The one I got was manufactured in October.  And it isn't that much of a sale.  I saw it for $300 recently new.  This deal through Project Fi is really ~$260 w/tax and Fi service after all said and done. 

So you took advantage of the Fi deal and they let you cancel it without a penalty? That's pretty surprising.

There is no penalty cancelling Fi.  The potential penalty would being charged the $150 difference from the phone sale price vs its regular price but that penalty comes from NOT activating ProjectFi, and that is it.  A requirement which I fulfilled. 

Sympathy for what?  Making it slightly more difficult to get a phone on the network?  TMo is pretty big MVNO provider and doesn't really have this issue as far as I am aware.

And not fraud.  Google's only requirement was to activate service.  I fulfilled that requirement. If they don't want people to take the device off Fi a day, or a week later, then they should put a clause in there that says "keep Fi service active for a month", "for a year", "for life of the device", or something. 

You can justify, rationalize, or spin it however you want.  But you did not enter that transaction with Project Fi in good faith.  And that is an instance of poor ethics.

AJ

• Like 1

You can justify, rationalize, or spin it however you want. But you did not enter that transaction with Project Fi in good faith. And that is an instance of poor ethics.

AJ

I did enter in good faith as I fulfilled the contract and assumptions within that contract. No where did I break bad faith. I fulfilled my obligation/agreement and I did not mislead Google as they requested no input of my intentions.

Just because I went in knowing I was going to cancel the service does not mean that I exercised bad faith nor poor ethics as this possibility based on assumption is built into the contract and I fulfilled all my obligations.

I did enter in good faith as I fulfilled the contract and assumptions within that contract. No where did I break bad faith. I fulfilled my obligation/agreement and I did not mislead Google as they requested no input of my intentions.

Just because I went in knowing I was going to cancel the service does not mean that I exercised bad faith nor poor ethics as this possibility based on assumption is built into the contract and I fulfilled all my obligations.

The intent of the discount is to increase the subscribers on Project Fi. Since your "game plan" was to order it, activate it, and immediately cancel service makes the offered discount pointless. Google basically used the phone subsidy business model without utilizing a contract in good faith that people would stick with the Project Fi service for at least a trial period. Basically, a loophole was found and extorted.

Side note: I would bet that the reason they didn't utilizing a short contract such as 3 or 6 months is because of the current state of the industry. 

• Like 1

The intent of the discount is to increase the subscribers on Project Fi. ........Basically, a loophole was found and extorted.

Lets not be overly dramatic.  You must have a different set of offer terms available to you than what we are privy to but based on whats available to ME and linked to below, there is no problems with what the OP did.

First: https://fi.google.com/about/phones/#phone-prices  In big green bold letters at the top "Get the Nexus 5X for $199 when you buy and activate with Project Fi"

From that page, clicking on the text "See Offer Terms" https://fi.google.com/about/faq/#supported-devices-3

"Project Fi is offering a discount of $150 off our normal price for the Nexus 5X, with activation required." (bolding mine)

"You must then activate Fi service on the same account within 30 days of device shipment, or an additional $150 will be charged to your Google Payments account to match the full price of the device." (bolding mine)

And the real kicker (bolding mine again) "There is no minimum activation time needed to be eligible for the discount."

Google spelled out the offer quite well it seems.

The OP did the three things required for the offer...didnt he?  If you dont believe he did by all means correct me but he bought the device, he activated the device and then he allowed the device to stay active for X minutes.  Was there a step he missed according to the linked offer page?

The reason i dont think they really care is the fact they wanted to move units and clear stock and i dont believe they really lost any money on this promo either.  They win either way.

• Like 3

It may be legal. It may be technically allowed because it hasn't been stopped, yet. But it is unethical. Justify it all you want. But hey, you got away with it. Like you planned. Good job.

Hopefully you will do something good with your savings. Maybe something that will help your karma. If you gave it to orphans or the poor, maybe you can even be a modern Robin Hood. Who steals from big wealthy companies and gives to the poor.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

how wide can the nexus 5x do carrier aggregation with band 41?

• LTE CA DL: B2-B2, B2-B4, B2-B5, B2-B12, B2-B13, B2-B17, B2-B29, B4-B4, B4-B5, B4-B7, B4-B12, B4-B13, B4-B17, B4-B29, B41-B41

I got that from the Google Play device specs.

So for Sprint specifically, it's B41-B41.

Edited by HTCandroid

• LTE CA DL: B2-B2, B2-B4, B2-B5, B2-B12, B2-B13, B2-B17, B2-B29, B4-B4, B4-B5, B4-B7, B4-B12, B4-B13, B4-B17, B4-B29, B41-B41
I got that from the Google Play device specs.

So for Sprint specifically, it's B41-B41.

So for band 41 it's 2X CA

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but I noticed they added 'LTE Roaming' for the Nexus 5x on Sprint's coverage maps. Nothing on Wifi Calling though.

Hmm, an interesting experiment would be for someone with a Nexus 5X to venture into USCC territory.  Check for LTE roaming.  If none, temporarily return to Sprint coverage and do a profile update.  Head back to USCC.  Again, check for LTE roaming.

AJ

Hmm, an interesting experiment would be for someone with a Nexus 5X to venture into USCC territory.  Check for LTE roaming.  If none, temporarily return to Sprint coverage and do a profile update.  Head back to USCC.  Again, check for LTE roaming.

AJ

My sister has a Nexus 5X on my account and she did not have LTE roaming last time she visited my parents' house in USCC land.  She will be back there after graduation in two or three weeks; I'll bug her about it then.

Oh, and I have her running SCP in the background for me, so if she sees it and doesn't know it, I'll have it logged.

- Trip

My sister has a Nexus 5X on my account and she did not have LTE roaming last time she visited my parents' house in USCC land.  She will be back there after graduation in two or three weeks; I'll bug her about it then.

I am more curious about the profile update.  I bet Nexus 5X LTE roaming will require a profile update.  Alternatively, for whatever reason, LTE roaming just could have been blocked at the Sprint backend.  The experiment I described basically would isolate which explanation.

AJ

I am more curious about the profile update.  I bet Nexus 5X LTE roaming will require a profile update.  Alternatively, for whatever reason, LTE roaming just could have been blocked at the Sprint backend.  The experiment I described basically would isolate which explanation.

AJ

Ah, understood.  Will it not attempt to update itself at some point?

In any case, I'll show her how to do a profile update and try to have her do it half-way down.  nTelos vanishes after Carysbrook and then it's US Cellular roaming until Sprint picks up again in Farmville and falls off again south of town.  If she does the profile update in Farmville, that should give the opportunity for US Cellular without the update north of Farmville and with the update south of Farmville.

- Trip

Ah, understood.  Will it not attempt to update itself at some point?

Yes, I am pretty certain that profile updates get "pushed" just like PRL updates do.  But I am not sure how frequently they do.  PRL updates seem to roll out fairly quickly.  And while a profile update also includes a PRL update,  a PRL update does not also include a profile update.  At least, that is my understanding.

AJ

Is it normal for this phone's RSRP to fluctuate a lot? I can hold my N5X on my hand without movement and see my RSRP go from -95 to -103 and back and forth. Is this normal operation for the phone. It happens on all the bands just in case anyone is wondering.

Also, I'm highly disappointed in this phone's RF performance overall. It is about the same as the Galaxy S5 on band 26 and it performs a lot worse on Band 41. I've read the FCC article on this phone, but then I read some of the reviews on this thread which gave me hope. Overall, this phone performs terribly on Band 41, which is the only band that matters moving forward. In the same area I get B41, my S5 used to have -104 to -107 outdoors while the N5X is all over the place (-110 to -117).

And the phone randomly hard bricks and gives a QHSUSB_BULK reading...

And no replacement phone til Monday...

I've been having Bluetooth issues with my N5x for awhile now.  I tried to RMA it but they keep having me troubleshoot.  And now they're "investigating my logs" for about 2 months.  How did you go about getting it replaced so quick?  I went through Google support.

I've been having Bluetooth issues with my N5x for awhile now.  I tried to RMA it but they keep having me troubleshoot.  And now they're "investigating my logs" for about 2 months.  How did you go about getting it replaced so quick?  I went through Google support.

They very fact it doesn't even start.

• Like 1