Google Nexus 5X by LG User Thread (LG H790)

WiWavelength

Heads up. Google has the Nexus 5X on sale for $199 when bought in conjunction with Project Fi.

Man, this device is depreciating in value more than any other nexus in history. Edited by Overstew

Man, this device is depreciating in value more than any other nexus in history.

And it's Google causing the depreciation

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

And it's Google causing the depreciation

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

True, but the phone isn't doing much to help itself. I bought my wife and I this phone and it is significantly slower than our old Nexus 5x (thanks Google for unwanted software encryption). Also, the speaker isn't front facing even though it appears to be... you can hear the sound louder from the back than the front. I'm sad I went all in with this phone.

True, but the phone isn't doing much to help itself. I bought my wife and I this phone and it is significantly slower than our old Nexus 5x (thanks Google for unwanted software encryption). Also, the speaker isn't front facing even though it appears to be... you can hear the sound louder from the back than the front. I'm sad I went all in with this phone.

Are you in the right thread? Nexus 5x has front facing mono speaker. And how can the Nexus 5x be slower than a Nexus 5x?

Are you in the right thread? Nexus 5x has front facing mono speaker. And how can the Nexus 5x be slower than a Nexus 5x?

Software encryption is enabled by default on the Nexus 5x. If you do a Google search on Nexus 5 versus 5x, it will be blatantly apparent that Nexus 5x is slower than the 5 and probably one of the slowest phones around.

Also, the speaker grill problem can also be found via a search. It is not well known but it is definitely not a mono speaker and, if it is, the speaker is faced towards the back of the phone and not towards the grill.

Software encryption is enabled by default on the Nexus 5x. If you do a Google search on Nexus 5 versus 5x, it will be blatantly apparent that Nexus 5x is slower than the 5 and probably one of the slowest phones around.

Also, the speaker grill problem can also be found via a search. It is not well known but it is definitely not a mono speaker and, if it is, the speaker is faced towards the back of the phone and not towards the grill.

On the other hand, it was only $300 and now only $199. Yes it's not a top end phone, on the other hand it is not $700.

Are you serious?  The Nexus 5x has the speaker facing backwards in the device?  I've already heard of the upside-down camera, but even the external speaker is backwards.  What a ridiculous design!

It's definitely not hi-fi, but it works. :)

I've been really happy with my 5X - the screen and camera are fantastic, and the LTE speeds have been blazing. I just wish it was smaller, and didn't have the occasional lag - though that hasn't been a problem since I deleted Facebook and FB Messenger. I just hope when baseball season gets into full swing, I don't have the same problem I have on my Nexus 4. The gamecast is useless on the N4 because the phone can't keep up. Other than that, I have NO issues with cm12.1 on the N4 (plus I couldn't use it on Sprint..). I'd hate to have to track down an ancient apk of the ESPN app from before they ruined the performance.

Edited by Grabber5.0

Haven't received it yet, but the latest March OTA update is supposed to fix the speed and stability issues. Maybe we can use the camera now to actually take pictures reliably? Thanks Google.

Haven't received it yet, but the latest March OTA update is supposed to fix the speed and stability issues. Maybe we can use the camera now to actually take pictures reliably? Thanks Google.

Yea, my camera experience has been horrible. My old N5 performed & looked better. Hope this update provides substantial improvements.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I noticed since the March update there is an LTE Roaming setting in EPST; it may have been there previously but I didn't notice it then. Alas no potential LTE roaming to test around these parts.

More generally, so far it does seem to have improved lag and stability.

I noticed since the March update there is an LTE Roaming setting in EPST; it may have been there previously but I didn't notice it then. Alas no potential LTE roaming to test around these parts.

More generally, so far it does seem to have improved lag and stability.

Same on the 6P regarding performance and stability.

I think LTE roaming showed up there on a previous build for the 5X actually. The 6P still doesn't have it for what it's worth.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I got my phone, currently on the February update, downloading N right now. Not having any of these issues... Yet at least. Very fast. Much faster and smoother than my N5. Nice RF performance boost.

As far as the NAND speed, looking at reviews it does fairly well considering it is all encrypted. Still an upgrade from the N5 and even N6. However, the method used is less than ideal with the SoC provides a much faster implementation I hope Google implements on this device. Then it wouldn't be as much an issue.

The only thing that I think I might have run into is CA on Band 41. 2x CA is live in my market, but I don't see to have connected to CA yet. :-( Anyone know what is going on there?

I got my phone, currently on the February update, downloading N right now. Not having any of these issues... Yet at least. Very fast. Much faster and smoother than my N5. Nice RF performance boost.

As far as the NAND speed, looking at reviews it does fairly well considering it is all encrypted. Still an upgrade from the N5 and even N6. However, the method used is less than ideal with the SoC provides a much faster implementation I hope Google implements on this device. Then it wouldn't be as much an issue.

The only thing that I think I might have run into is CA on Band 41. 2x CA is live in my market, but I don't see to have connected to CA yet. :-( Anyone know what is going on there?

The engineering screennis broken. It never shows CA even when connected. :(

The only way to tell is to run a speed test and see if it's A.) Faster than 80mbps or B.) Twice as fast as a non-CA device on the same site.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it so difficult to get a 5X added to the network.  Phone/Chat support has been great, but these steps are just so unnecessary. 

Had to get a new special ordered sim, and not just any nano-sim. At least shipping was fast, got it next day.  Now I find out the MEID/IMEI isn't in the system (after trying via the online portal). I thought ALL N5X phones would get added to the system automatically?  So I had to get a ticket put in to get my phone added to the whitelist.  Ticket is going to take forever!  Won't be till next week.  My N5 is busted up to hell so I will be serviceless between open WiFi networks. :-/ 

The good is I haven't had to wait on the phone or with chat.  Everything is instant and people know what they are doing.  The bad is it shouldn't take so long to get a BYOD device freaking activated.  I can right now take my prepaid sim card, activate it, and be rolling on TMobile's service in less than 3 minutes. 

I just hope that the person who works the ticket actually gets my phone added to the system. :-(

Why is it so difficult to get a 5X added to the network.  Phone/Chat support has been great, but these steps are just so unnecessary. 

I activated mine through the website without any Sprint interaction.  Where did you buy your phone from?

Edit: to add link re: activation: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7309-huawei-nexus-6p-activation-info/

Edited by TimS

Had to get a new special ordered sim, and not just any nano-sim. At least shipping was fast, got it next day.  Now I find out the MEID/IMEI isn't in the system (after trying via the online portal). I thought ALL N5X phones would get added to the system automatically?  So I had to get a ticket put in to get my phone added to the whitelist.  Ticket is going to take forever!  Won't be till next week.  My N5 is busted up to hell so I will be serviceless between open WiFi networks. :-/ 

The good is I haven't had to wait on the phone or with chat.  Everything is instant and people know what they are doing.  The bad is it shouldn't take so long to get a BYOD device freaking activated.  I can right now take my prepaid sim card, activate it, and be rolling on TMobile's service in less than 3 minutes. 

I just hope that the person who works the ticket actually gets my phone added to the system. :-(

That's very strange.  I was able to get the SIM for mine from a local corporate Sprint store for free.  Went home and was able to get my 5X activated with a live chat on sprint.com in less than 20 minutes.

I actually broke my first 5X and was able to replicate the activation with a replacement in under 20 minutes as well.

Ordered it from Google.

Went online and found that it needed a special sim, couldn't just cut my N5 sim to fit. Called the store, told me to call Sprint cause it needed to be ordered, so I did Chat which gave me some special number to call.

Then went to the online portal of which my phone does not appear in the system. Chat confirmed of which they put in a ticket for me.

I did take advantage of the ProjectFi deal, so the phone did have to activate on ProjectFi. But that is cancelled. Does Google send Sprint a list of phones that get activated on ProjectFi so Sprint to remove them from the Whitelist?

I did take advantage of the ProjectFi deal, so the phone did have to activate on ProjectFi. But that is cancelled. Does Google send Sprint a list of phones that get activated on ProjectFi so Sprint to remove them from the Whitelist?

I believe that is your problem.  I think it happens with any Sprint MVNO.

• Like 1

I believe that is your problem.  I think it happens with any Sprint MVNO.

Ordered it from Google.

Went online and found that it needed a special sim, couldn't just cut my N5 sim to fit. Called the store, told me to call Sprint cause it needed to be ordered, so I did Chat which gave me some special number to call.

Then went to the online portal of which my phone does not appear in the system. Chat confirmed of which they put in a ticket for me.

Back when I first received my ProjectFi sim card and activated and then tried to re-activate my Sprint sim on the same phone I had a similar issue.  Unfortunately, it took almost 5 days to fix...  Thankfully I had an old N5 laying around I could use in the interim.  I believe the process is supposed to be smooth and hopefully by now is better, but when I activated on Fi the IMEID went into their database / flagging Sprint's.  The cancellation process from ProjectFi took forever for them to let go of the IMEID.  It eventually had to be manually entered, or at least that is how they described it to me.