Google Nexus 5X by LG User Thread (LG H790)

WiWavelength

hey cool thanks.  *73 and *74 worked perfectly.  guess google voice needs an update to its instructions.  now i just wish the voicemail tab in the dialer of marshmallow would work but from what i read that needs carrier support.

No biggie. Install the Google voice app.

I'm sure their advertising department is gonna love your search and browsing history haha.

I've gotten 110 mbps....on my WiFi! haha Was that speed on CA? I've gotten 75mpbs on B41 no CA in Orange County.

I got it on CA in southern ct

Too quiet in this thread! Something I've noticed with this phone is DPI scaling is off. By default, it's set to 420. Normal is 480, but I think 480 is too big so I went to 440 and it looks natural.

Another thing, LTE ping and connectivity is a night and day difference when compared to my old HTC One M8. I don't get a dreaded "Unable to access Wireless Data." message daily and the phone appears to have a stronger reading on LTE B25/B26 by about 3-5dBm over my One. Great phone. Wish it was slightly smaller, but I'm adjusting. No way would I want a phone any bigger.

I don't feel the need to upgrade until 3xCA comes out in devices.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 1

Anyone know how to get the Service Code for this phone? Haven't tried Sprint yet, but I'm not sure if they would have it since the phone is from the Play Store.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Not sure about the 5X, but for the 5 you could call Sprint support and ask for the MSL code (master subsidy lock) for the phone and they'd give it to you. If they asked why you needed it you could say you were an app developer that needed access to the debug info. I assume it's the same for the 5X.

• Like 2

Replacement came in just now.... still have the rattle.... meh. 

I guess i'll just live with it.

It's just the sim card ejector. It was annoying for me until another person on the thread pointed out what it was heh

So now that I've been using this thing for a while I'll do a mini-review in an attempt to help anybody considering upgrading from a 5.

First, battery life is CRAZY good compared to the 5. Maybe it's just my configuration, but my 5X is lasting 1.5x to 2x as long as my 5 did. I'm getting home with 60+% left whereas with the 5 I'd be around 35. Obviously YMMV.

Second, the size difference is significant. But personally it's not as big of an issue as I thought it would be. It works for me, but I really hope I never have to go any bigger. Again, YMMV.

Third, the camera is way better than the 5's at getting lighting right and it takes HDRs faster. But I don't see huge differences in plain old pixel detail that one may expect from a 3MP bump. There's definitely a difference, but it's not that much. I'll edit this post tomorrow with some comparison photos.

Here they are:

Nexus 5:

2OZAkUx.jpg

Nexus 5X:

fTdU4bQ.jpg

Nexus 5:

ZvxZRBg.jpg

Nexus 5X:

k1A6zms.jpg

Nexus 5:

38FI8P8.jpg

Nexus 5X:

xyqMkP2.jpg

Fourth, it's smoother than the 5. This might also just be my configuration (I haven't changed anything major from the 5 to the 5x in terms of apps or settings, but the slightest change can make a huge difference in Android) but it seems a lot faster. Chrome no longer randomly force-closes. I thought that was RAM-related, but since both the 5 and the 5X have 2GB I guess it's not.

Fifth, the speaker is pretty much the same as the 5 in terms of sound quality. Maybe a tiny bit better.

Now on to more general observations mostly unrelated to the 5:

This is probably pretty important to most of the people that will end up reading this: The 2xCA field (i.e. SCC) on the *#*#DEBUG#*#* screen does not populate. I've tried a lot of things to get it to work, but so far it looks like the only way to test for 2xCA is to look for speeds over 80mbps or compare a test to a non-CA phone on the same site. Not a deal-breaker for me, but really annoying. Hopefully it'll be fixed in a patch at some point. I might try submitting it as a bug to Google if nobody has already.

Another annoying radio thing: turning airplane mode on and off too quickly will screw up the LTE radio and multiple reboots may be required to get it to work again. Rule of thumb is wait till the quick settings network status text says "No Service" to turn airplane mode off. If you do while it still says "Sprint," stuff might break.

I got the Ice Blue model. I've always wanted a blue phone, but I wish it were a little darker. Looking at the iFixit teardown, unlike the old 5 the only part affected by color choice is the detachable back. So one could theoretically swap out the back for a different color if they wanted to. My only other thought on design: I never thought I'd say this, but I actually kinda miss the weird hump-shaped top and bottom bezels on the 5. I thought they were ugly at first, but now that I own a generic rectangle of a phone I kinda miss the unique shape.

The fingerprint sensor is awesome. As I've said before, it's instant. I haven't seen my lockscreen since my last reboot.

The USBC connector is a little bigger than I thought it would be. It feels pretty sturdy. I'm a little wary of it, as the iFixit teardown revealed that it's part of the main motherboard rather than an easily-replaced daughterboard. I had to replace my old 5's USB connector twice, so I guess I'll just cross my fingers that the USBC won't die on me. The lack of wireless charging doesn't make me feel any better about this. If the port dies, I'll have to replace the motherboard. And hopefully if it does happen it's during the one year of warranty. Another complaint about the new port: Google ships the phone with a double-ended USBC cable. I knew about this before I purchased it so I wasn't surprised, but I wish I hadn't had to buy a cable from Amazon just to plug this thing into a computer. On a more positive note, the 5X charges fast. Like, really fast. I can wake up with the phone at 60% from the day before and if I remember to plug it in it's at 100% when I leave 40 minutes later.

Oh, and I know it's a minor detail, but the headphone port feels really sturdy compared to all of my previous devices.

Overall not that big of a change from the OGN5. Honestly if I hadn't been able to sell my subsidy to cover the cost of the 5X I'd have been totally OK with holding on to the 5 for a while longer. The 5X is a very good upgrade from the 5, but it's not night and day. I guess a big part of this is the spec wall the phone industry is starting to hit plus my personal experience (my last upgrade was from an OG EVO to an OGN5, an extreme change to say the least). I'm definitely glad I made the jump though. Mostly for the battery and the fingerprint sensor. ^_^

Edit: this post ended up way longer than I intended. Oh well. :sunny:

Edit 2: I totally forgot about radio performance. And there's a reason for that: it feels pretty much the same as the 5. Maybe a tiny bit better on 25 and a tiny bit worse on 41. I'm (basically) never on 26 so I can't really judge that. It holds on to fringe 25 about as well as the 5 did, but that isn't saying much. The scan timer is better than the 5 which is nice. It appears to be user-accessable if you have your MSL code. I plan to get mine tomorrow so I can test it out.

• Like 8

Edit 2: ... The scan timer is better than the 5 which is nice. It appears to be user-accessable if you have your MSL code. I plan to get mine tomorrow so I can test it out.

The MSL on my 5X is all 0's

• Like 1

I just wish I could finance this thing through Sprint!  The only way I know of is to go to Project Fi. 

My M8 is a total POS and I hate it.  It won't even charge any longer.  Apparently the charging port issue I'm experiencing is very common with this phone.  As of this writing, the phone will no longer charge beyond 3 percent.   The worst part?  It was an Asurion insurance replacement for my OG N5 as the N5 was no longer being carried by Asurion (this was over a year ago).  I really miss my N5 and so I was definitely looking forward to the 5X.  

If I can find a way to finance it, I will.  If not, I will have to give in and get the Galaxy S6 Edge, Edge Plus or iphone 6S (all of which can obviously be financed or leased through Sprint).

Ugh! My 5x has a rattling noise if you shake it and it's not the power or volume buttons (coming from the camera area) which is really noticeable...

Ugh... gotta contact google support to see if I can get a replacement I suppose.

Happens on a lot of phones, actually. If you open the camera app and shake the phone it should rattle less if not at all. I'm guessing it has to do with the auto focus since a lot of phones without OIS rattle as well.

Edit: never mind I saw that the rattle was figured out in another post. Carry on!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I just wish I could finance this thing through Sprint! The only way I know of is to go to Project Fi.

My M8 is a total POS and I hate it. It won't even charge any longer. Apparently the charging port issue I'm experiencing is very common with this phone. As of this writing, the phone will no longer charge beyond 3 percent. The worst part? It was an Asurion insurance replacement for my OG N5 as the N5 was no longer being carried by Asurion (this was over a year ago). I really miss my N5 and so I was definitely looking forward to the 5X.

If I can find a way to finance it, I will. If not, I will have to give in and get the Galaxy S6 Edge, Edge Plus or iphone 6S (all of which can obviously be financed or leased through Sprint).

The M8 trade-in for Sprint is $125 atm. Just a heads up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 1

I'm scared to death to take updates. An update took away my Band 4 LTE on my Nexus 4. And an update took away my Band 12 on my Nexus 6P. Although that is now not affecting me at the moment as my 6P is smashed.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

I'm scared to death to take updates. An update took away my Band 4 LTE on my Nexus 4. And an update took away my Band 12 on my Nexus 6P. Although that is now not affecting me at the moment as my 6P is smashed.

My philosophy on firmware updates is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  But in Robert's case, uh, it's broke.

;)

AJ

• Like 5

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

But that's the magic of Android Nexus.  If the update broke something, flash the old one back. :D

• Like 2

This bug is driving me crazy on my phone. 

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=190544&q=Hotmail&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

It's causing my Hotmail email to constantly attempt to sync, draining battery like crazy.  I've missed some important emails too as a result.  Of course, people will tell me to switch to Gmail, but my hotmail is well known amongst friends/family to the point where it'd be like changing your phone number. 

Anyone use a good email app alternative to Google that support hotmail?

It's causing my Hotmail email to constantly attempt to sync, draining battery like crazy.  I've missed some important emails too as a result.  Of course, people will tell me to switch to Gmail, but my hotmail is well known amongst friends/family to the point where it'd be like changing your phone number. 

Can you set up automated forwarding from Hotmail to Gmail?

AJ

• Like 3

That's actually a great idea for a work-around!!! I'll do that.

For replies, you should be able to set up Gmail to send as your Hotmail address, too.

AJ

For replies, you should be able to set up Gmail to send as your Hotmail address, too.

AJ

On the Gmail site?  I may never need to touch hotmail again if that's true.  I had it configured in the Gmail app for Android for Hotmail, but that's where the bug plays its part.

On the Gmail site?  I may never need to touch hotmail again if that's true.

Yes, you need to configure at the Gmail site first.  Under Settings > Accounts and Import > Send mail as.  I have four different e-mail addresses configured, including my s4gru.com domain tech editor address.  I can use Gmail to send from any of those four addresses.  Once configured via browser, those Send mail as options are available via mobile app, too.

2ezrzpc.png

AJ

• Like 2