Google Nexus 5X by LG User Thread (LG H790)

WiWavelength

This bug is driving me crazy on my phone. 

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=190544&q=Hotmail&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

It's causing my Hotmail email to constantly attempt to sync, draining battery like crazy.  I've missed some important emails too as a result.  Of course, people will tell me to switch to Gmail, but my hotmail is well known amongst friends/family to the point where it'd be like changing your phone number. 

Anyone use a good email app alternative to Google that support hotmail?

Have you considered the Outlook app?  I haven't used it but some tech sites talked like it was better than the Gmail app.

This bug is driving me crazy on my phone.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=190544&q=Hotmail&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

It's causing my Hotmail email to constantly attempt to sync, draining battery like crazy. I've missed some important emails too as a result. Of course, people will tell me to switch to Gmail, but my hotmail is well known amongst friends/family to the point where it'd be like changing your phone number.

Aquamail

No need for more words.

• Like 1

I had a similar issue. I use gmail for my gmail(obvious one there) and my outlook address. Sometimes I don't get notified of an email until 20 minutes after it was received. I've check the settings for each individual account and the settings for the app itself. I have both accounts set for push. It often ranges from 3-320 minute notification delay.

I believe I can get you or anyone who wants it the .apk of the last working Outlook.com (not the Outlook app they have now) prior to the final update that 'discontinued' it, for those that used it and still prefer it....I still use it on my phone and made sure to grab a backup of it with MyBackup Pro.

AquaMail is another good solution, though I still prefer the Outlook.com app over everything else for Outlook/Hotmail webmail acccounts.

The MSL on my 5X is all 0's

Oh. Sweet! Thanks.

I just wish I could finance this thing through Sprint!  The only way I know of is to go to Project Fi. 

My M8 is a total POS and I hate it.  It won't even charge any longer.  Apparently the charging port issue I'm experiencing is very common with this phone.  As of this writing, the phone will no longer charge beyond 3 percent.   The worst part?  It was an Asurion insurance replacement for my OG N5 as the N5 was no longer being carried by Asurion (this was over a year ago).  I really miss my N5 and so I was definitely looking forward to the 5X.  

If I can find a way to finance it, I will.  If not, I will have to give in and get the Galaxy S6 Edge, Edge Plus or iphone 6S (all of which can obviously be financed or leased through Sprint).

Yeah I really wish Google had sold it through carriers. Especially the 6P given how expensive it is.

I added the comparison photos to my earlier post. I figured cell towers would make decent test subjects since it's easy to gauge level of detail by looking at the radios and antennas.

Somehow my radio went crazy this afternoon (data wouldn't register and texts wouldn't send) and after multiple live chats with Sprint I factory reset it and it started working again. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary at the time so I have no idea what happened. Oh well.

Another thing I forgot to include in my review: cases. In the past I've just gotten the cheapest soft TPU I could find on Amazon and used that for the lifespan of the phone. This time I decided I'd invest a little more in a nicer case and I'm really glad I did. I went with a Ringke fusion crystal and it's already saved me from a shattered screen 3 or 4 times. It's very well-made, it fits the phone perfectly, and it's a nicer TPU that doesn't feel nasty and probably won't turn green after 6 months. The buttons work even better than they did without the case. I'm patiently waiting for Zagg to do a glass protector for the 5X.

*#*#DATA#*#*, LTE > Edit > Service Code is 000000. Enable away. :)

Maybe it's different with the 5X, but in the past, each individual device has had a unique MSL. I went through 3 different G3s (extreme stretch of bad luck) and each time the MSL was different.

Maybe it's different with the 5X, but in the past, each individual device has had a unique MSL. I went through 3 different G3s (extreme stretch of bad luck) and each time the MSL was different.

I just tried it on my Nexus 6.  Six zeroes worked.  I never knew that.

• Like 1

I just tried it on my Nexus 6.  Six zeroes worked.  I never knew that.

Unique to the Nexus line? Doesn't work on my G4.

Unlocked, third party.  Unlocked, third party.  What more is there to understand?  The MSL/SPC code is Sprint specific, but Sprint does not have control over these unlocked handsets purchased from third parties.

Sent from my Nexus 5X with MSL/SPC code 000000.

;)

AJ

Unlocked, third party.  Unlocked, third party.  What more is there to understand?  The MSL/SPC code is Sprint specific, but Sprint does not have control over these unlocked handsets purchased from third parties.

Sent from my Nexus 5X with MSL/SPC code 000000.

;)

AJ

I don't recall it working on my N5. But I will have to try when I get home.

I don't recall it working on my N5. But I will have to try when I get home.

Sprint, et al., also sold the Nexus 5.  It was a different animal from the current round of Nexus handsets.

AJ

6 or 6P? 

Robert's Nexus 6P is kaput.

AJ

So then, the Nexus 6 was/is sold by Sprint yes?

Circumstances have changed.

AJ

I would be interested to hear more stories about RF performance. What is everyone seeing?

This device performs wonderfully on LTE B25/B26.  Haven't had much experience with b41 yet.  I will say, compared to my M8, signal is better by 1-3dBm on B26/B25.  And my ping has been consistently lower every time.  I don't know exactly what has changed between the phone's modems, but I understand now why Sprint has the best pings of all carriers.  Maybe it was an HTC issue.  But I consistently get sub 50ms ping on nearly every test on the new Nexus.

• Like 1

I would be interested to hear more stories about RF performance. What is everyone seeing?

Compared to the OGN5, 25/41 are pretty similar in terms of reported RSRP. 41 might be 1-2dBm worse.

However - 1) it holds on to both 25 and 41 a bit better than the OGN5. It holds both bands on -116 to -117 about 30 seconds longer than the OGN5 would before giving up. This is very good for situations where LTE signal is briefly terrible i.e. driving under a bridge or walking through a windowless hallway and 2) the scan timer problems with the OGN5 are gone. The 5X hops from 3G to LTE just as fast as my parents' HTC E8s.

Thanks to B26's capacity configuration in my market, I'm only on B26 when I'm in range of B41. As a result, I'm really never on 26 for more than the 30 seconds it takes the network to switch me over to B41 so I can't really judge performance on that band. :/

• Like 1

Thanks to B26's capacity configuration in my market, I'm only on B26 when I'm in range of B41. As a result, I'm really never on 26 for more than the 30 seconds it takes the network to switch me over to B41 so I can't really judge performance on that band. :/

#FirstWorldProblems.

:lol:

• Like 1

#FirstWorldProblems.

:lol:

Well the downside is dropping to 3G instead of B26 if you go more than a mile from a tower in the suburbs where density is roughly 1 tower per 3 square miles. :/ I'm really not sure why 26 isn't configured for coverage yet.