Google Nexus 5X by LG User Thread (LG H790)

WiWavelength

Ok, here are my thoughts:

Battery Life:

Seems good enough, it's no iphone but battery under normal usage gets me through the day

Screen:

Excellent!  Very bright/clear!  I dont miss SAMOLED at all.

Camera:

This is STILL a sore spot for the Nexus.  The Camera on the LG G4 and GS6 (and iPhone 6) is far superior.  Granted, this is a HUGE upgrade over the original nexus 5 camera, it still needs to come a long way before it can be considered flagship level.  I still view it better than the Nexus 6 camera, though.

Form Factor:

I think one of the things that made the Nexus 5 unique was the fact that it was a bit smaller than your average flagship.  I miss the older size, which I found to feel just great in the hand.  This is actually a bit taller than a GS6 and about the same width.  Disappointed that Google didn't keep the unique size of the Nexus 5 and carry it into the Nexus 5x.

Performance:

Stock Nexus - enough said?  This phone flies.  Compared to a GS6, this is a MUCH faster phone despite only having 2GB ram and a slower processor.  Everything is buttery smooth as it should be.

Radio:

Phone works great on sprint!  Handles bands EXTREMELY well - FAR better than the GS6 ever did.  For example, in my office, I would bounce between B41/25/26 at my desk on a GS6.  The GS6 could only reliably handle B26 but would always try and shift to a higher band as in an urban environment signal fluctuates.  The N5x behaves and just sticks with a stable connection.  Band changes in general are smooth and I haven't noticed any issues.

Imprint:

Probably the biggest surprise feature of the phone.  Much better than Apple's TouchID.  This is extremely fast and extremely accurate, best on the market.  I did not expect this.

USB Type C:

While many complain about progress, I was actually VERY happy to see this finally start to make it on flagship phones.  It's a far more reliable and stable cable which is a good thing.  I find the cable to be plugged/unplugged easily and securely.  I bought 3 USB Type C to USB Type A cables from oneplusone's website, they are the cheapest at about $5.50/cable for 4ft and $6.50 for 6ft and a flat $4.99 shipping regardless of how many cables you buy.  They seem to be a very high quality cable sold "at cost" according to oneplusone.

Charging:

Google's decision to go 3A over 5V is sort of annoying given that I have a bunch of 9V/12V chargers (quickcharge 2.0 chargers).  Even AJ's favorite HP Touchpad 5.3V 2A charger can't give the N5x the juice it can take.  For me, I'll settle for using my existing chargers at slower rates until USB Type C charging market matures.  Given that the N5x can support quickcharge 2.0, I hope a software update unlocks higher voltage charging.

• Like 6

Ok, here are my thoughts:

Battery Life:

Seems good enough, it's no iphone but battery under normal usage gets me through the day

Screen:

Excellent! Very bright/clear! I dont miss SAMOLED at all.

Camera:

This is STILL a sore spot for the Nexus. The Camera on the LG G4 and GS6 (and iPhone 6) is far superior. Granted, this is a HUGE upgrade over the original nexus 5 camera, it still needs to come a long way before it can be considered flagship level. I still view it better than the Nexus 6 camera, though.

Form Factor:

I think one of the things that made the Nexus 5 unique was the fact that it was a bit smaller than your average flagship. I miss the older size, which I found to feel just great in the hand. This is actually a bit taller than a GS6 and about the same width. Disappointed that Google didn't keep the unique size of the Nexus 5 and carry it into the Nexus 5x.

Performance:

Stock Nexus - enough said? This phone flies. Compared to a GS6, this is a MUCH faster phone despite only having 2GB ram and a slower processor. Everything is buttery smooth as it should be.

Radio:

Phone works great on sprint! Handles bands EXTREMELY well - FAR better than the GS6 ever did. For example, in my office, I would bounce between B41/25/26 at my desk on a GS6. The GS6 could only reliably handle B26 but would always try and shift to a higher band as in an urban environment signal fluctuates. The N5x behaves and just sticks with a stable connection. Band changes in general are smooth and I haven't noticed any issues.

Imprint:

Probably the biggest surprise feature of the phone. Much better than Apple's TouchID. This is extremely fast and extremely accurate, best on the market. I did not expect this.

USB Type C:

While many complain about progress, I was actually VERY happy to see this finally start to make it on flagship phones. It's a far more reliable and stable cable which is a good thing. I find the cable to be plugged/unplugged easily and securely. I bought 3 USB Type C to USB Type A cables from oneplusone's website, they are the cheapest at about $5.50/cable for 4ft and $6.50 for 6ft and a flat $4.99 shipping regardless of how many cables you buy. They seem to be a very high quality cable sold "at cost" according to oneplusone.

Charging:

Google's decision to go 3A over 5V is sort of annoying given that I have a bunch of 9V/12V chargers (quickcharge 2.0 chargers). Even AJ's favorite HP Touchpad 5.3V 2A charger can't give the N5x the juice it can take. For me, I'll settle for using my existing chargers at slower rates until USB Type C charging market matures. Given that the N5x can support quickcharge 2.0, I hope a software update unlocks higher voltage charging.

Like yr detailed post but I don't think the Nexus 5x supports quick charge 2.0. It does charge quick, but it doesn't use the Qualcomm quick charge technology to do it. On a separate note, I do hope proprietary fast charging goes away as it evolves way too quick and it shouldn't be a licensing/royalty thing.

Like yr detailed post but I don't think the Nexus 5x supports quick charge 2.0. It does charge quick, but it doesn't use the Qualcomm quick charge technology to do it. On a separate note, I do hope proprietary fast charging goes away as it evolves way too quick and it shouldn't be a licensing/royalty thing.

Sorry, my post wasn't very clear.

The iFixit teardown did show the Nexus 5x having the SMB1358 Quick Charge 2.0 IC

So we just don't know why its not enabled.

I will keep the Google voice mail as the main voice mail on my number with the 5X but what options do I have as far as notifications from the Sprint voice mail if some calls keep getting through to it? Is it possible to install Sprint's crappy VM app on a non-branded phone? Any other alternatives?

No, I don't believe you can install Sprint's voicemail app on the Nexus.  Google Voice has been pretty reliable for me.  I haven't tested it yet but I don't think you even need the Google Voice app anymore if you are using it just for voicemail.  I think you can enable Google Voice through the web and activate it with a dialer code on the phone.  It will then add a new tab in the phone dialer for voicemail.  

• Like 1

No, I don't believe you can install Sprint's voicemail app on the Nexus.  Google Voice has been pretty reliable for me.  I haven't tested it yet but I don't think you even need the Google Voice app anymore if you are using it just for voicemail.  I think you can enable Google Voice through the web and activate it with a dialer code on the phone.  It will then add a new tab in the phone dialer for voicemail.  

the tab is already there since marshmallow was released, even on the nexus 5...would love to get that working. 

EDIT- Seems the visual voicemail in marshmallow is not working for sprint, verizon or AT&T.  Just TMobile.  Anyone have evidence to the contrary?

the tab is already there since marshmallow was released, even on the nexus 5...would love to get that working. 

EDIT- Seems the visual voicemail in marshmallow is not working for sprint, verizon or AT&T.  Just TMobile.  Anyone have evidence to the contrary?

I dont have the tab there with sprint. I just have the three tabs. Favorite, Recent, Contacts. Voicemail is missing. 

I dont have the tab there with sprint. I just have the three tabs. Favorite, Recent, Contacts. Voicemail is missing. 

For me, the tab only appeared after activating Google Voice.  

Thx to the 1st post, I was able to smoothly order 2 SIM cards with free 2-day shipping.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, I took the bait and ordered the 5X today.  Really looking forward to it.. Ya can't beat the value here, that is for sure.

Funny story (or, so I think):  I was watching hulu via Chromecast when the Nexus 5X commercial comes on.  I pick up my Android phone and activate the Sound Search for Google Play widget to find out what song was playing (Lean On).  I immediately purchased the song through Google Play/Music.  Two hours later, I get on my Chromebook, go to Google.com and purchase a Nexus 5X.

At least when they evaluate the effectiveness of their advertising.. and services & products in general.. I will have made them proud.

Talk about taking the bait.. hook, line and sinker. 

• Like 7

The biggest problem with the N5 was battery life. So if this one has a decent battery, that's reason enough to upgrade to the N5X.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 2

Well, I took the bait and ordered the 5X today.  Really looking forward to it.. Ya can't beat the value here, that is for sure.

Funny story (or, so I think):  I was watching hulu via Chromecast when the Nexus 5X commercial comes on.  I pick up my Android phone and activate the Sound Search for Google Play widget to find out what song was playing (Lean On).  I immediately purchased the song through Google Play/Music.  Two hours later, I get on my Chromebook, go to Google.com and purchase a Nexus 5X.

At least when they evaluate the effectiveness of their advertising.. and services & products in general.. I will have made them proud.

I'm sure their advertising department is gonna love your search and browsing history haha.

So far this phone is pretty good. Battery is decent, screen is awesome. I pulled 110mbps on it also

I've gotten 110 mbps....on my WiFi! haha Was that speed on CA? I've gotten 75mpbs on B41 no CA in Orange County.

Edited by HTCandroid
  • Like 1

I'm sure their advertising department is gonna love your search and browsing history haha.

I've gotten 110 mbps....on my WiFi! haha Was that speed on CA? I've gotten 75mpbs on B41 no CA in Orange County.

There is CA in Orange at Tustin & Katella in the CVS plaza. I pulled 87.12 Mbps there.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Yeah my only real complaint is the camera.

GS6/G4 have much better cameras.  But, again, for the price, hard to complain all things considered.

• Like 1

This is exciting.

Al0e4ath.jpg

It's about as big as I expected. I'll get used to it.

I had to do a live chat to get it activated, but it was quick and painless.

Everything seems super smooth. Display looks to be a bit brighter than the OGN5. The fingerprint sensor works as advertised, which is to say it's instant and has near-100% accuracy. The DPI scaling change is... interesting. I think I like it. I'll withhold judgement of the radios until I get some real experience with them. I can't wait to try out 2xCA!

Edit: Uh oh. It's doing the 1x and LTE thing in SCP.

• Like 3

i cant get google voice to take over my voicemail duties.  i call the number the set up tells me to with *28 but it just rings and rings and voicemail is still stuck with the sprint system.  i seem to remember it is just suppose to ring like once isnt it?

i cant get google voice to take over my voicemail duties.  i call the number the set up tells me to with *28 but it just rings and rings and voicemail is still stuck with the sprint system.  i seem to remember it is just suppose to ring like once isnt it?

I called Sprint about this a couple days ago. Apparently you can't use *28 anymore. You need to issue the two types of conditional forwarding (*73 and *74) separately. I tried it and it works, at least for me. They said they will fix the info. on the website to correct this but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Edited by GoWireless
  • Like 1

I called Sprint about this a couple days ago. Apparently you can't use *28 anymore. You need to issue the two types of conditional forwarding (*73 and *74) separately. I tried it and it works, at least for me. They said they will fix the info. on the website to correct this but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

This seems weird to me... Are you sure you have it setup correctly on the Google Voice website as well?  I have had it setup for awhile, but just re-did it when 6.0 came out and I did a full wipe.  May want to check all settings, you aren't talking about full integration are you?  I do not use full integration, so I cannot speak to that.

Did you try to activate/deactivate via the Google Voice website?

This seems weird to me... Are you sure you have it setup correctly on the Google Voice website as well?  I have had it setup for awhile, but just re-did it when 6.0 came out and I did a full wipe.  May want to check all settings, you aren't talking about full integration are you?  I do not use full integration, so I cannot speak to that.

No, just for voicemail not full integration.  the same steps worked on the nexus 5 way back when and whenever i had to redo it.

I will have to poke around the google site I guess to reset things.

I am not familiar with the other dialer options like 73 and 74...dont those charge by the minute for forwarding?

*73 is no answer forwarding and *74 is busy forwarding. *28 is just a short way of enabling both of them at the same time. There shouldn't be any cost with these.

*72 is unconditional call forwarding (forward all calls, your mobile will not even ring). Last I checked, if you are not on a plan which includes unlimited minutes then every minute is 20 cents.

hey cool thanks.  *73 and *74 worked perfectly.  guess google voice needs an update to its instructions.  now i just wish the voicemail tab in the dialer of marshmallow would work but from what i read that needs carrier support.