Wahoo! US Cellullar (and other) EV-DO Roaming Is Live

Mr.Nuke

So yesterday I called Sprint customer service and asked if they would remove my 300mb roaming data cap since I am going to a USCC area this weekend and Sprint coverage is not good.

They said I have already reached my limit and they would remove my limit if that's what I wanted.

They warned me that it would be 3 cents for every kilobyte over the 300mb limit. I told them no thanks.

That would be 90 dollars for an additional 300mb. Holy cow!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Wouldnt that be more like $9,000 for another 300 megabytes?

Yes, you're right. I was going by what the rep told me. He said another 300mb would be 90 dollars but that doesn't equate to 3 cents per kilobyte which is what he said.

Yes, you're right. I was going by what the rep told me. He said another 300mb would be 90 dollars but that doesn't equate to 3 cents per kilobyte which is what he said.

Possibly the actual rate is $0.0003 per kilobyte, which makes a little more sense.  Wouldnt be the first time a rep can not understand decimal placement.  Anyone remember that Verizon issue from several years back?  The caller recorded the convo and it was pretty funny.  "But sir, there is no such thing as 3 hundredths of a cent!"

EDIT--

• Like 1

Possibly the actual rate is $0.0003 per kilobyte, which makes a little more sense. Wouldnt be the first time a rep can not understand decimal placement. Anyone remember that Verizon issue from several years back? The caller recorded the convo and it was pretty funny. "But sir, there is no such thing as 3 hundredths of a cent!"

That's probably what happened.

Now, if it were 3 cents per mb, wouldn't all of you roamers be willing to pay that? That would be 30 dollars for an additional 1gb of roaming data. Sprint and USCC could make some additional revenue and everybody wins.

• Like 2

Now, if it were 3 cents per mb, wouldn't all of you roamers be willing to pay that? That would be 30 dollars for an additional 1gb of roaming data. Sprint and USCC could make some additional revenue and everybody wins.

I would pay that, though I have a feeling Sprint would lose money at that rate. What I wouldn't mind seeing would be something similar to the international data speed packs, they could offer domestic roaming packs at a preset cost that you could add on before heading out on vacation.

not that it probably means anything, but i activated a new LG G4 for one of my family members last night and it had LTE roaming enabled in the LTE settings under ##DATA#, not sure if it was enabled out of the box or it got enabled during activation/profile updates.

• Like 1

They're also doing their conversions wrong with KB to MB.  It should be $92.16 for 300 MB at $0.0003/KB. 1GB = 1,024MB = 1,048,576KB. Normally they actually get this right since my screen used to say I had 41,943,040KB/month which is really 40GB, but now it says just plain old 40GB.  I kind of liked the old way because it says I've used 0.0018GB of roaming this month and that's not as easy to visually see for roaming caps mesuared in MB.  In case anyone is wondering 100MB is 0.09765625GB and 300MB is 0.29296875GB.

FYI I'm on the family share pack and according to T&C I'm with a 100MB limit and $0.25/MB after that up to a hard cap of 300MB.  I'm about to go up to a USCC area in Maine next week so I'll see how it really goes down.  It's the only time of year I am in a fully roaming area (and not just a random roaming moment like my 0.0018GB this month) and I use about 250MB.  I was hesitant to switch plans and lose the 300MB "free" roaming, but the cost savings on my monthly charges far outweigh the charges I'm about to encounter.  Though since I won't be on 1X, I'll probably consume more data because it'll be more responsive and I'll want to multi-task, so I gotta remember one thing at a time to prevent myself from overusing, hah.

Being that they have done network testing together in the past, Sprint would be one of the networks that they could get initialized in such a short time frame.

That is great news! Thanks for posting this link.

not that it probably means anything, but i activated a new LG G4 for one of my family members last night and it had LTE roaming enabled in the LTE settings under ##DATA#, not sure if it was enabled out of the box or it got enabled during activation/profile updates.

It was enabled out of the box on my G4 as well. 

• Like 1

Band 5 yes, but not 12. I don't think it'll work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Nexus 6, yes.

Edit. Band 5 not 4

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I believe Band 5 will work on the Nexus 5 is MFBI is enable on the USCC towers.  5 is a subset of band 26.

I believe Band 5 will work on the Nexus 5 is MFBI is enable on the USCC towers.  5 is a subset of band 26.

Band 12 was deployed for the iphone correct?  Is band 5 their normal band throughout their entire footprint?

Band 12 was deployed for the iphone correct?  Is band 5 their normal band throughout their entire footprint?

Band 12 lower 700 is not on the iphone. 

I believe USCC did most of their LTE on band 5.

The Nexus 5 inherently supports both band 5 and band 26.  No MFBI necessary.

See my two year old article:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-351-teaser-is-the-lg-d820-the-nexus-5/

AJ

• Like 2

I wonder how much data traffic runs on 4g for sprint?

So, I not sure if this is a mistake or not. But uscc coverage map, has 4g lte coverage in kansas city now. I don't know if it is a mistake or the sign of the linked deal? I hoping for the linked deal :D

Bet it's a mistake...sprint lte doesn't have that big of coverage area

Hopefully this will help Sprint's bottom line as well as expand their roaming.

Can other Sprint devices use part of USCC LTE? Even year+ old devices without the extra bands?

USCC, IIRC, uses B5 and B12 for LTE. Both of which Sprint's newest devices support.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks#Americas

EDIT: As for old devices, they do not support it. Only phones capable of CCA roaming are compatible.

So, I not sure if this is a mistake or not. But uscc coverage map, has 4g lte coverage in kansas city now. I don't know if it is a mistake or the sign of the linked deal? I hoping for the linked deal :D

For Sprint coverage, USCC devices generally support only band 25.  To maintain capacity for single band users and roamers, that could be a driving factor in the band 25 additional carrier deployment and load balancing that many tri band users seem to be experiencing, putting them on band 26 or band 41, rarely on band 25.

AJ