Wahoo! US Cellullar (and other) EV-DO Roaming Is Live

Mr.Nuke

For roaming on Cricket, I don't see why Sprint 3G map doesn't show Crickets coverage.  Would make their 3G map look even better.

When is AT&T supposed to shut down Crickets CDMA network?  That will be a major PRL update we all know is coming. :-P

For roaming on Cricket, I don't see why Sprint 3G map doesn't show Crickets coverage. Would make their 3G map look even better.

When is AT&T supposed to shut down Crickets CDMA network? That will be a major PRL update we all know is coming. :-P

Cricket CDMA has mostly been shutdown already. AT&T started back in March/April and shut down another round in May/June. The final markets will be shutdown in August/September.

See http://www.fiercewireless.com/press-releases/cricket-network-shutdown

Cricket CDMA roaming has probably been removed from the map for a while now.

Just returned home from my annual camping week at Lake Billy Chinook in central Oregon. Service was so much better this year than previous years. The USCC 3G EVDO worked great. I streamed Spotify on the boat until my 300 MB roaming limit was reached. To get it to work I had to set my phone to only use the 850 cell CDMA band in the hidden service menu. The phone kept finding 1x sprint service that was only good for talk and text which was an improvement from last year but still not good enough to listen to Spotify. Sprint LTE even worked great when out of the canyon. I think a single small cell with band 41 wireless backbone and Sprint could be the king of Lake Billy Chinook.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Also just returned from my trip to Kentucky. 3G roaming was slow but usable- i hit my 300MB limit after only 2 days of being in the area. I didn't know the 300MB limit was a hard cap, I would've been much more conservative in my usage had I known that. Talk and text still worked afterwards so it wasn't a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

• Like 1

Yo, EV-DO, where did you go?

e12i6c.png

This is the Sprint coverage tool -- as depicted 7/21/2015.

AJ

• Like 1

AJ

It's under the 3G & More selection.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 2

Also just returned from my trip to Kentucky. 3G roaming was slow but usable- i hit my 300MB limit after only 2 days of being in the area. I didn't know the 300MB limit was a hard cap, I would've been much more conservative in my usage had I known that. Talk and text still worked afterwards so it wasn't a big deal.

Which carrier?!

• Like 1

Which carrier?!

The only carriers with service in the area are Appalachian Wireless and AT&T, so I'm assuming Appalachian. I believe Verizon was also 3G roaming on Appalachian there.

It's under the 3G & More selection.

I could have sworn that the roaming EV-DO footprint was shown on the Sprint Spark map section, as native EV-DO is shown on that section, too.  But, yes, if you filter down to 3G & More, then the roaming EV-DO coverage appears.

AJ

Several S4GRU members noticed an update to the coverage map tool yesterday on Sprint’s website. One prominent difference was a significant increase in off-network "3G" EV-DO roaming, particularly in the Midwest. This new coverage happened to coincide with US Cellular’s native footprint. Yes, rumors have persisted over the better course of a year now about upcoming LTE roaming on US Cellular. That has not happened yet, but it may be progressing in that direction.

As of today, we can definitively confirm Sprint’s newly released PRLs (25026/55026) on most devices now allow EV-DO roaming on the US Cellular network. It is important to note this coverage is flagged as roaming, not pseudo native, and thus is subject to each user's monthly roaming data limits. Nevertheless, this PRL change marks a significant service improvement over the prior 1x roaming for Sprint customers in many US Cellular areas.

As I just noted in the Northern New England thread, this is huge. I was in Central NH for the 4th of July and it was the typical scattered 1X coverage I've been used to. There is no native Sprint service off I-93. This past weekend I was there again, and spent a good amount of time trying to figure out how/why I had so much EV-DO coverage. USCC has an excellent footprint around Lake Winnipesaukee, where Sprint (surprisingly) has none at all. This is a very noticeable difference. I'd almost rather they keep LTE roaming disabled, because the 300mb would be gone much quicker..

-Mike

• Like 2

As I just noted in the Northern New England thread, this is huge. I was in Central NH for the 4th of July and it was the typical scattered 1X coverage I've been used to. There is no native Sprint service off I-93. This past weekend I was there again, and spent a good amount of time trying to figure out how/why I had so much EV-DO coverage. USCC has an excellent footprint around Lake Winnipesaukee, where Sprint (surprisingly) has none at all. This is a very noticeable difference. I'd almost rather they keep LTE roaming disabled, because the 300mb would be gone much quicker..

-Mike

If they keep the 300mb limit when they turn on LTE roaming, it'll be useless to me. I burned through the 300mb in two days and that was crappy Appalachian Wireless 3G. Never got above 1Mbps.

Question- when did the 300MB limit become a hard cap?

• Like 1

It would be nice to allow more data roaming for a set fee, such as $1 per 100MB or something close to that, just so you can still use data (and pay for it) if you need it, not just cut it off.

Sent from my Note 4.

It would be nice to allow more data roaming for a set fee, such as $1 per 100MB or something close to that, just so you can still use data (and pay for it) if you need it, not just cut it off.

That price point will not cut it.  Operators typically pay wholesale approximately $.10/MB for roaming data.

AJ

That price point will not cut it. Operators typically pay wholesale approximately $.10/MB for roaming data.

AJ

I had no idea it was that much. Hopefully they could negotiate something better.

Sent from my Note 4.

That price point will not cut it.  Operators typically pay wholesale approximately $.10/MB for roaming data.

AJ

I would be willing to pay that plus a reasonable markup for their overhead. 

Yeah but under a reciprocal roaming agreement the net cost tends to be much less.

That is debatable.  The aggregate subscriber base of Sprint's roaming partners is smaller than Sprint's subscriber base.

Plus, Sprint may not wish to look at roaming as a net cost -- inbound roaming minus outbound roaming -- but as a gross cost.  Sprint may want to make money on roaming.

AJ

If they keep the 300mb limit when they turn on LTE roaming, it'll be useless to me. I burned through the 300mb in two days and that was crappy Appalachian Wireless 3G. Never got above 1Mbps.

Question- when did the 300MB limit become a hard cap?

Last August it started getting enforced.. there was (of course) a thread about it here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6332-sprint-to-enforce-roaming-data-limits-send-sms-notifications/

It should be noted that 300mb is the cap for most of us, but check your plan terms if you need an exact answer. I believe some newer plans have lower caps.

-Mike

Last August it started getting enforced.. there was (of course) a thread about it here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6332-sprint-to-enforce-roaming-data-limits-send-sms-notifications/

It should be noted that 300mb is the cap for most of us, but check your plan terms if you need an exact answer. I believe some newer plans have lower caps.

-Mike

The Framily plans list a 100MB cap, however 100MB was the point at which they started sending notifications about approaching the roaming limit. It wasn't until 300MB that they cut off roaming for me. 

Also, remember, 300mb = 300 millibars... ;)

The Framily plans list a 100MB cap, however 100MB was the point at which they started sending notifications about approaching the roaming limit. It wasn't until 300MB that they cut off roaming for me. 

Also, remember, 300mb = 300 millibars... ;)

Gotcha. I'm on an old plan and went over once at the end of last year while traveling; I got e-mail notification after I went over and they shut me off, but I never got any texts.

I have lousy integrity when it comes to abbreviations/acronyms. I prefer my AM's and PM's to be lowercase too..  ;)

-Mike

• Like 1

I have lousy integrity when it comes to abbreviations/acronyms. I prefer my AM's and PM's to be lowercase too..  ;)

-Mike

Just wondering why you were streaming data at jet stream level. Pretty sure the airlines don't like that :P

Gotcha. I'm on an old plan and went over once at the end of last year while traveling; I got e-mail notification after I went over and they shut me off, but I never got any texts.

I have lousy integrity when it comes to abbreviations/acronyms. I prefer my AM's and PM's to be lowercase too.. ;)

-Mike

I'm also on an old plan and didn't receive any text messages. I really would've appreciated a couple texts to tell me to slow down.

But to be honest it got me off my phone and allowed me to do what I was down in Kentucky to do, which was help a (very sweet) low income family make their home better. So it was a blessing in disguise. ;)

• Like 3

I'm also on an old plan and didn't receive any text messages. I really would've appreciated a couple texts to tell me to slow down.

But to be honest it got me off my phone and allowed me to do what I was down in Kentucky to do, which was help a (very sweet) low income family make their home better. So it was a blessing in disguise. ;)

It took like a day for it to process. I was driving to Denver from KC, so driving on I-70 managed to rack up about 260MB in roaming (didn't even think about it, my brother was streaming music). The next day I got the alert that I was close to the cap. Then on the trip back to KC, I hit the cap. Didn't get a text alert until I got to KC, but it shut me off somewhere in western KS. So it's no immediate. If you use all 300MB in one day, you might not get an alert.

It took like a day for it to process. I was driving to Denver from KC, so driving on I-70 managed to rack up about 260MB in roaming (didn't even think about it, my brother was streaming music). The next day I got the alert that I was close to the cap. Then on the trip back to KC, I hit the cap. Didn't get a text alert until I got to KC, but it shut me off somewhere in western KS. So it's no immediate. If you use all 300MB in one day, you might not get an alert.

I think Sprint is watching me.. tonight I got an e-mail warning me that I had used up 220MB in roaming over the weekend. It was dated yesterday, but the e-mail was sent today (and wasn't delayed in SMTP-land). Still no text notification though, and when I tried sending a message to the shortcode in the e-mail, it said my number wasn't with Sprint. I went onto the website and tweaked my notification settings, perhaps that will change it in the future. But that 24 hour delay kind of limits its usefulness.

-Mike

• Like 1

I'd love to be on the network side of USCC right now to see the spike in traffic usage.  See the usage of 3G on these towers increase.  I bet some USCC customers are going to have worse experience in some places.  Might be a good thing that still limited to just 300MB.  Softbank should just pony up the cash and give an offere USCC can't refuse!!! 

• Like 3