Wahoo! US Cellullar (and other) EV-DO Roaming Is Live

Mr.Nuke

Yeah, I know VZW bought a huge chunk of Alltel, but it is still labeled as Alltel gear.

It is no different then say ATT and Cricket. I have roamed on Cricket, it is still Cricket, but it is owned by ATT.

Yeah, I know VZW bought a huge chunk of Alltel, but it is still labeled as Alltel gear.

It is no different then say ATT and Cricket. I have roamed on Cricket, it is still Cricket, but it is owned by ATT.

I am not quite sure what we are debating here -- semantics or facts.

But here are the facts.  All Alltel in Florida went straight to VZW.  No AT&T.  No ATN, which continued to operate as Alltel.  All VZW for many years now.

Next, CDMA1X roaming is "3G," but Sprint does not include VZW EV-DO in consumer PRLs.  That has not changed with the recent PRL updates.

And you do know that SignalCheck Pro is not reporting "Alltel" as being broadcast from these cell sites, right?  That does not happen.  No, SignalCheck Pro is just cross referencing a historic SID database that is about a decade old at this point.  Nobody really cares about SIDs any longer.

AJ

Out of curiosity does anyone know who is providing Sprint with 3G roaming in Arkansas?

I know that I am being pedantic, but can we call it EV-DO roaming, not "3G" roaming?  The latter runs into definition problems.

AJ

• Like 2

I know that I am being pedantic, but can we call it EV-DO roaming, not "3G" roaming?  The latter runs into definition problems.

AJ

I've edited. I suspect that most people likely just go by what Sprint themselves describe as the "Sprint 3G network" on their coverage map.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity does anyone know who is providing Sprint with 3G EV-DO roaming in Arkansas?

But that is an excellent question -- and I thank you for it (in my best Al Gore halting cadence).

We should use this thread to track the other operators in the PRL that have had EV-DO added, restored, or retained?

In my Midwest neck of the woods, USCC, Nex-Tech Wireless, United Wireless, Pioneer Cellular, and PTCI are obvious.

AJ

• Like 1

Looking at northern Wisconsin, I would have to say that Cellcom is included.

On a related note, is no one doing PRL interpretation any longer?  A PRL interpretation would definitively answer these questions.  digiblur used to be the source, but he went apeshit on Sprint/S4GRU and left long ago.

AJ

• Like 3

Also, include James Valley Telecom in northeast South Dakota.

AJ

Looking at northern Wisconsin, I would have to say that Cellcom is included.

On a related note, is no one doing PRL interpretation any longer?  A PRL interpretation would definitively answer these questions.  digiblur used to be the source, but he went apeshit on Sprint/S4GRU and left long ago.

AJ

How does one do that exactly? Extract the file or whatever and then look for names?

And a tracking thread for EV roaming sounds like a good idea.

How does one do that exactly? Extract the file or whatever and then look for names?

Yes.  Despite containing thousands of entries, a PRL file is relatively tiny -- because it is entirely binary text.  To interpret a PRL, the binary text has to be cross referenced against a known database of SIDs, then organized into a readable format.  As I recall, Qualcomm's CDMA Workshop software may be a key piece in the process.

PRL interpretation used to be a popular online activity, and several individuals besides digiblur maintained PRL databases.  But that seems to have fallen by the wayside, as users have grown tired of the process, ported to AT&T or T-Mobile, or stayed with VZW or Sprint but spent nearly all of their time on LTE.

AJ

• Like 1

If someone has copies of the last PRL and the current one, I can try to give it a shot, time permitting.  I've used the Qualcomm software before, just tinkering with it.

- Trip

• Like 2

Yes. Despite containing thousands of entries, a PRL file is relatively tiny -- because it is entirely binary text. To interpret a PRL, the binary text has to be cross referenced against a known database of SIDs, then organized into a readable format. As I recall, Qualcomm's CDMA Workshop software may be a key piece in the process.

PRL interpretation used to be a popular online activity, and several individuals besides digiblur maintained PRL databases. But that seems to have fallen by the wayside, as users have grown tired of the process, ported to AT&T or T-Mobile, or stayed with VZW or Sprint but spent nearly all of their time on LTE.

AJ

Sounds sort of intriguing. How would one get a hold a known list of SIDs?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sounds sort of intriguing. How would one get a hold a known list of SIDs?

That is the easy part.  The FCC transferred SID maintenance to the private sector over a decade ago.  SID lists of varying degrees of current accuracy are readily available.

http://www.roamingzone.com/sid/

http://ifast.org/SIDtables.htm

AJ

• Like 3

But ifaster than you.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

but Imuch older than you. Brain work slower, fingers work slower.

Maybe, but I am no spring chicken.  And that is probably a good thing -- with a hungry Robert roaming The Forums.

:P

AJ

Maybe, but I am no spring chicken.  And that is probably a good thing -- with a hungry Robert roaming The Forums.

:P

AJ

Just stay out of the sun and do not get "fried".  Stick with "Grilled" and he will leave you alone.

Just stay out of the sun and do not get "fried".  Stick with "Grilled" and he will leave you alone.

tumblr_mdwfi4jyKH1qza49co1_500.png

AJ

• Like 5

It took you exactly 2 minutes to come up with this.   I suspected you soon were going to come up with a "funny".  You never miss an opportunity.

Well, I thought you might be alluding to that exact "Seinfeld" reference -- Kramer used butter as lotion and stayed out in the sun too long.

CEgxut5WoAExMH_.jpg

AJ

• Like 1

If someone has copies of the last PRL and the current one, I can try to give it a shot, time permitting.  I've used the Qualcomm software before, just tinkering with it.

- Trip

A PRL repository is (somewhat) maintained here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1880781

Kudos to jcfunk for 55026: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=61791842&postcount=2151

55025.zip

55026.zip

• Like 1

enhanced-buzz-22363-1370234478-2.jpg

Man, I am hungry!  One of my biggest regrets was not trying Kenny Rogers Roasters before they went out of business.  Well, I can still try them if I ever go to Malaysia.

KRR-Freebies.png