T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

Lol i like how mostly from everyone thinks band 12 will solve it. Btw the ZTE hotspot has band 12 :)

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I was just being funny cause the T-Mobile fans will be quick to say that and to tweet John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yup 20x20 Band 4

The tower is right around the corner where I work, Full bars LTE, They recently upgraded the tower too a few months ago..

Still pulling crap speeds

That is an absolutely pathetic situation for T-Mobile to be in there, to which I question if it really is congestion, or some very atrocious engineering or equipment issues for those speeds to occur.

Anyways, back to this Uncarrier 10 thing I abruptly stopped writing about in my previous post, because I was going into a Verizon store to look at the new Droid Turbo 2, which BTW looks very good - none of the dim lighting and weird colors being reported by the media, etc.

I believe T-Mobile is going to institute a speed cap as I mentioned, perhaps raising the speed cap up to 30mbps, though I really doubt anywhere beyond that, as 30mbps is plenty of speed for 4k video streaming. Actually, according to this link on Netflix :

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

It says 25mbps is needed for 4k video streaming. However, this link here :

http://www.reelseo.com/4k

It mentions from Netflix CEO, Reed Hastings, that 4k streaming won't require more than a stable 15mbps.

Now, I'm not advocating streaming 4k on a mobile device. I'm simply presenting different scenarios which T-Mobile might use for this Uncarrier 10 plan. I expect John Legere may very well try to institute a speed cap to allow for it, if my other prediction from earlier about the 8/9 mbps speed cap doesn't occur. In that case, I suspect a speed cap of 15mbps to 18mbps across the board.

This is how I believe T-Mobile will manage their network congestion issues, by instituting speed caps. To make up for it, this "Movie/Video Freedom" Uncarrier move likely will satisfy most people, as long as the speed cap is reasonable. So, I think I'll take back what I said about the 8/9 mbps speed being the speed cap. I'm thinking more likely it'll be around the 15mbps to 18mbps range especially considering this issue regards Mobile devices, not televisions which very well may need that 25mbps mentioned earlier.

Yup 20x20 Band 4

The tower is right around the corner where I work, Full bars LTE, They recently upgraded the tower too a few months ago..

Still pulling crap speeds

wow if that's the case any carrier should technically be brought down there. Must be a lot of T-Mobile customers in your area or terrible site density.
  • Like 1

wow if that's the case any carrier should technically be brought down there. Must be a lot of T-Mobile customers in your area or terrible site density.

Terrible cell site density in this part of town. Everyone hopping over to T-Mobile isnt helping either.

All the sectors are congested except a few pointing to the highways.

T-Mobile could help itself if they jump on a nearby tower with VZW, Sprint and AT&T.. Not sure why they don't but they always build their own towers with just them ontop of it

• Like 1

B12 Lol. Has a 4th of the bandwidth of B4.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

But according to T-Mobile, it shouldn't really matter. All that matters is that it is extended range no matter how bad the bandwidth is. After all, according to rumors and what many people think, T-Mobile may only get 5x5 of 600mhz in the spectrum auction, which that'll be bad bandwidth too, but still extended range.

T-Mobile knows what they need and what they need to do to get what they need. By doing that, they are data strong in mind, body, spirit, and soul. That is more powerful than any bandwidth could provide. It is part of what makes them the Uncarrier. If anyone doesn't like it, they can just troll along. ????

But according to T-Mobile, it shouldn't really matter. All that matters is that it is extended range no matter how bad the bandwidth is. After all, according to rumors and what many people think, T-Mobile may only get 5x5 of 600mhz in the spectrum auction, which that'll be bad bandwidth too, but still extended range.

T-Mobile knows what they need and what they need to do to get what they need. By doing that, they are data strong in mind, body, spirit, and soul. That is more powerful than any bandwidth could provide. It is part of what makes them the Uncarrier. If anyone doesn't like it, they can just troll along.

I thought T-Mo was going to get 10x10? and DT is willing to sell T-Mobile DE assets to gain funds to get that spectrum lol

I thought T-Mo was going to get 10x10? and DT is willing to sell T-Mobile DE assets to gain funds to get that spectrum lol

Irl, I have more hopes for T-Mobile's success than many of the online Magentans who post on sites like TmoNews, Fierce, etc. The main difference between my support of it and theirs, is I'm thinking of things the company really ought to be doing, even if it means acquiring and spending every available cent towards network improvements. The magentans however, are happy with minimum as long as these insane Uncarrier promotions continue.

If I were the CEO of T-Mobile, I'd do a few things I think are very important to do right away. I'd raise the rate on all current unlimited plan subscribers to $90 monthly, eliminate the high-speed tethering allotments, but I'd keep the unlimited tethering, raising the speed of it to 1.5mbps maximum. I'd end any further subscribing to unlimited.

Then, I'd offer to all new and current customers my per gb rate plan of $45 monthly per line, which includes unlimited talk, text, and taxes/fees included. Every 1 gb of data for $1.50. Basically everything plus 10gb is $60 monthly, 20gb $75 monthly, 30gb $90 monthly, and so on. That would be the only rate plan available, other than $15 as the base price point for tablets.

After getting the rate plans simplified to that, I'd end all of the Uncarrier attacks on the other carriers. I'd make it a major objective to do as much positive spectrum swapping possible. I've been reading more about T-Mobile's VoLTE capabilities lately, which now I think it's best for T-Mobile to really focus on that, and working hard in getting rid of GSM.

In areas where there is only 5x5 AWS or less, I'd keep 5x5 PCS and 5x5 700mhz where available. I would have those and all low and rural markets at 10x10 600mhz. All others 15x15 600mhz. For AWS, I would try to trade in as much PCS for as much AWS, in order for more spectrum uniformity. Other than those areas I mentioned, a minimum of 10x10 would be sought out for below mid markets, 15x15 for mid markets, 20x20 for major markets. However, those I believe are more rational, realistic spectrum figures. If I could do more than that though, I'd sell off all PCS and 700mhz for a network wide 10x10 600mhz and 10x10 AWS in below mid markets, 15x15 600mhz and 15x15 AWS in mid markets, then expanding AWS to 20x20 in major markets.

Anyways, simplified and reasonably priced rate planning would be my first objective at T-Mobile, followed by working with spectrum swapping resources to unify T-Mobile's spectrum allocations. In order to make the most of it though, T-Mobile needs to stop acting like such a bratty carrier with its current CEO running it so immaturely. The Magentans like it that way though, so perhaps any real network progress beyond the 5x5 may never happen, other than for AWS.

• Like 1

attachicon.gif 20151029_124413.jpg

Data strong eh?

These are the speeds I get in the wee hours of the night. once daylight hits and people start to wake up, I don't see anything past 20. Which is still good but it's not that 50 I was getting months ago. 2cbb5535b71bd53a4c314cc5e6c6236c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

600MHz is broken up into hundreds of licenses of varying sizes. Tmo is likely to get a mix of 5x5, 10x10 and zero all over the country in various channel assignments.

There will be no one 10x10 license nationwide for anyone. It's going to be hand to hand combat for every license on every block. If someone spent some major coin and tried really hard outbidding everyone everywhere, they could *possibly* end up with an amalgamation of 10x10 licenses nationwide. But not likely.

Sent using Nexus 6P on Tapatalk

• Like 3

600MHz is broken up into hundreds of licenses of varying sizes. Tmo is likely to get a mix of 5x5, 10x10 and zero all over the country in various channel assignments.

There will be no one 10x10 license nationwide for anyone. It's going to be hand to hand combat for every license on every block. If someone spent some major coin and tried really hard outbidding everyone everywhere, they could *possibly* end up with an amalgamation of 10x10 licenses nationwide. But not likely.

Sent using Nexus 6P on Tapatalk

Arysyn's dream just went out the window.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 3

I think it's far more likely T-Mobile gets 600 MHz 10x10 first where they have no low band in places like Chicago, STL, and Puerto Rico where they have no low band currently, and just goes for 700 MHz squatters and speculators in most other places. They may be able to get the 700 MHz band for cheaper in lots of other places. Not saying 600 MHz isn't important but in the areas where they have 700 MHz, especially rural, there isn't a lot of incentive for them to get into a bidding war with Google, Comcast, and AT&T.

• Like 2

Seems kind of ironic that T-Mobile claims to have much, much more LTE coverage than Sprint. Here's the Sensorly map of both carriers, condensed into a GIF.

EDIT: Won't let me link a GIF, so you'll have to look at the direct link.

Newer coverage takes time to get mapped. There is newish (6months) TMo 2G -> LTE coverage that still hasn't been mapped yet. A lot of area too. Ive been thinking of getting an elcheapo phone just to get it mapped.

• Like 1

Arysyn's dream just went out the window.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I have no "dream" for T-Mobile. The only way it would be that important is if I were a T-Mobile executive, or if I were Fabian Cortez. Neither of those options are true of me, as I generally dislike T-Mobile in its current state. I'm only saying things that T-Mobile needs in order to improve enough on is own for it not to need a merger.

Otherwise, I've generally been a supporter of T-Mobile being acquired, as it likely would mean there would be a new CEO of it. So again, there is no "dream" I have, just as I wouldn't say that to anyone here on S4GRU regarding Sprint. Although, I've heard that term being used derogatorily of people here by others on different tech sites criticizing Sprint and S4GRU.

I think it's far more likely T-Mobile gets 600 MHz 10x10 first where they have no low band in places like Chicago, STL, and Puerto Rico where they have no low band currently, and just goes for 700 MHz squatters and speculators in most other places. They may be able to get the 700 MHz band for cheaper in lots of other places. Not saying 600 MHz isn't important but in the areas where they have 700 MHz, especially rural, there isn't a lot of incentive for them to get into a bidding war with Google, Comcast, and AT&T.

Chicago is a perfect example of how Tmobile should aim to build for 10x10 of 600 MHz and pressure Laser, Inc to sell Tmobile the 700 MHz license at a cheaper rate.

• Like 1

Seems kind of ironic that T-Mobile claims to have much, much more LTE coverage than Sprint. Here's the Sensorly map of both carriers, condensed into a GIF.

EDIT: Won't let me link a GIF, so you'll have to look at the direct link.

Wow. Look at the entire state of Iowa for T-Mobile. That's a little scary.

-Anthony

Wow. Look at the entire state of Iowa for T-Mobile. That's a little scary.

T-Mobile has coverage in Iowa through iWireless, but they don't count it as native coverage on their maps (even though T-Mobile owns half of iWireless and they have no restrictions on roaming on the iWireless network).

• Like 3

T-Mobile has coverage in Iowa through iWireless, but they don't count it as native coverage on their maps (even though T-Mobile owns half of iWireless and they have no restrictions on roaming on the iWireless network).

So if somebody tried to map it on Sensorly it wouldn't show up as T-Mobile coverage?

-Anthony

So if somebody tried to map it on Sensorly it wouldn't show up as T-Mobile coverage?

Iowa Wireless Services dba iWireless has a separate MCC-MNC from T-Mobile.

AJ

I drove yesterday between Las Vegas and Los Angeles and T-Mobile may cover more in their maps with LTE as actually is being covered. Parts are just HSPA+ and not as promissed LTE on I-15. Even some Edge is still available before Barstow!

I drove yesterday between Las Vegas and Los Angeles and T-Mobile may cover more in their maps with LTE as actually is being covered. Parts are just HSPA+ and not as promissed LTE on I-15. Even some Edge is still available before Barstow!

I haven't left the city yet with T-Mobile service, but from the maps I should be covered quite well in FL. I'll have to test T-Mobile next time I drive out of town.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 1