The RootMetrics 2nd Half 2014 US Mobile Network Performance Review

Fraydog

More recently, sprint has FINALLY added coverage on the MBTA subway system (prior, only option was roaming on Verizon).

With the other 3 majors having native coverage underground, switching to Sprint was a non-starter for many commuters.

Sprint still has a lot of work to do in Boston, but I think at this point, I am about ready to drop my T-Mobile prepaid account.

• Like 3

I feel that Hesse really didn't want to ruffle any feathers, but Marcelo seems like he will throw a punch if need be (or at least his twitter staff).

There was an exchange shortly after the Super Bowl ads aired between the two, where Legere questioned if Marcelo actually ran his own Twitter account... A day or so later, Marcelo responded that he did.

I like that it's genuine. I hate seeing company BS Tweets that read like a press release. Good for those two for embracing the platform and being so public.

There are definitely places where 1X is the only option, particularly areas where 1X 800 is the only thing that works (rural areas, train tunnels, etc). If I see 1X only I don't even bother trying for data. In any event, I imagine it would be hard to find your way onto 1X-only on Sprint and shouldn't be a factor in these tests.

- Trip

The point is that Sprint 1x is far less prolific than T-Mobile EDGE.

There are definitely places where 1X is the only option, particularly areas where 1X 800 is the only thing that works (rural areas, train tunnels, etc).  If I see 1X only I don't even bother trying for data.  In any event, I imagine it would be hard to find your way onto 1X-only on Sprint and shouldn't be a factor in these tests.

- Trip

I'm in the middle of suburbia but the tower density is so low that I drop into 1x in clear outdoor areas between towers and often, within buildings.  It seems it doesn't matter if the building is wood construction, masonry or steel.  The signal just tanks.

We have pretty sparse tower density in my area, pretty big B26 holes, no B25 and very few B41 sites.

• Like 1

I'm in the middle of suburbia but the tower density is so low that I drop into 1x in clear outdoor areas between towers and often, within buildings.  It seems it doesn't matter if the building is wood construction, masonry or steel.  The signal just tanks.

We have pretty sparse tower density in my area, pretty big B26 holes, no B25 and very few B41 sites.

No Band 25 1900MHz?  If there is Band 26 800MHz then there is Band 25, after all Sprint has the PCS G Block nationwide.  

I'm in the middle of suburbia but the tower density is so low that I drop into 1x in clear outdoor areas between towers and often, within buildings. It seems it doesn't matter if the building is wood construction, masonry or steel. The signal just tanks.

The problem with Phoenix is that everything outside the 101 Loop was exurban relatively recently. Now exurban quickly converted to suburban within the 303 Loop and even in some pockets outside. Like Buckeye/Verrado.

Sprint still has exurban density outside the 101. They do need to increase density appropriately. But since most of these customers outside already churned when they moved to the new suburban interface, Sprint probably does not have this as high priority over many other items.

In time though, I expect Sprint to address new suburban areas around the country. Maybe even a specific project and capital outlay. Project Ferris Bueller 1.0.

Also, 800MHz will help somewhat too. Whenever Sprint will start B26 deployment in Phoenix remains to be seen. It has to be soon. Right?

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 2

The problem with Phoenix is that everything outside the 101 Loop was exurban relatively recently. Now exurban quickly converted to suburban within the 303 Loop and even in some pockets outside. Like Buckeye/Verrado.

Sprint still has exurban density outside the 101. They do need to increase density appropriately. But since most of these customers outside already churned when they moved to the new suburban interface, Sprint probably does not have this as high priority over many other items.

In time though, I expect Sprint to address new suburban areas around he country. Maybe even a specific project and capital outlay. Project Ferris Bueller 1.0.

Also, 800MHz will help somewhat too. Whenever Sprint will start B26 deployment in Phoenix remains to be seen. It has to be soon. Right?

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

It can't happen soon enough. Coverage in the heart of phoenix isn't that good either. I was surprised how badly lte coverage was in Phoenix itself when I spent some time down there last week. The whole Phoenix market needs 800 and to densify.

It can't happen soon enough. Coverage in the heart of phoenix is that good either. I was surprised how badly lte coverage was in Phoenix its self when I spent so time down there last week. The whole Phoenix market needs 800 and to densify.

I agree. I do t mean to beat a dead horse here with my tales of woe. Sprint has come a long way and I'm finding more LTE everyday. I'm remaining optimistic, but wish that enhancing coverage in areas with decent population density but poor tower density was a higher priority.
  • Like 1

No Band 25 1900MHz? If there is Band 26 800MHz then there is Band 25, after all Sprint has the PCS G Block nationwide.

I got them backwards. B25, no B26. Sorry.

In new developments...Legere deleted his tweets criticizing Root Metrics! Lol

I guess his PR team would like to use their data in the future if they ever get out of last place.

Sprint will have to screen cap everything this guy tweets.

• Like 3

In new developments...Legere deleted his tweets criticizing Root Metrics! Lol

I guess his PR team would like to use their data in the future if they ever get out of last place.

Sprint will have to screen cap everything this guy tweets.

Ryan exactly echoes my thoughts.

Somebody, start and maintain the @LegereScreencap Twitter account.  Hold him accountable -- pun intended.

Many of us have observed this from the beginning, and it is proving more and more true.  John Legere is a snake oil salesman.  His words are ever malleable or deletable.  Evidence shows that even some Magentans are growing weary of this act.

Legere's proverbial 15 minutes of fame are nearing the 13:59 mark.  And what lies on the other side for John?  The Kardashians -- again, pun intended.

AJ

• Like 5

I have to say though, some/many of you in the past few quarters have bashed RootMetrics for many many reasons when Sprint did poorly. I've always thought we shouldn't bash it because we need to savor when Sprint rises to the top. Just saying that we have a bunch of Legeres in here.

• Like 1

I have to say though, some/many of you in the past few quarters have bashed RootMetrics for many many reasons when Sprint did poorly. I've always thought we shouldn't bash it because we need to savor when Sprint rises to the top. Just saying that we have a bunch of Legeres in here.

I defended Root too...

That said, it is a fair point. I just had faith that it would turn around upon NV completion. Well, guess where we are at.

• Like 1

Big difference....I don't run a company that uses that data. Also, I have bashed Root independent of how they rank Sprint or anybody else.

• Like 1

Taken like a grain of salt, one can agree or disagree with any sort of metric, survey or ranking regardless of the sources or how they come to their conclusions. I just look at the charts/images and say like my niece "It's pretty"  :devil:

Jokings aside, rankings are made to be broken sooner or later. But it does feel good when your team is on top.

TS

• Like 1

Somebody, start and maintain the @LegereScreencap Twitter account. Hold him accountable -- pun intended.

I created an IFTTT recipe that logs all of his Tweets with permalink, time stamp, and embed code to a Google Drive Spreadsheet. Searchable!

When it triggers for the first time to create the sheet, I'll share the link with everyone.

• Like 15