The RootMetrics 2nd Half 2014 US Mobile Network Performance Review

Fraydog

Long term I think the B41 intra band CA and then the b41-b25 CA where b41 serves as an additional downlink to b25 will go a long way to ameliorate Sprint's data problems. Sale of EBS spectrum should provide them with some cash for the upcoming 600MHz auction.

The more I read the 600 auction papers the more I believe it will not happen in 2016.  I think pico cells will be the future to a solid network.

Marcelo said in last week's Quarterly Conference call that they would start 800MHz in the IBEZ before the end of the year.

I thought he said they'd finish the last 40% of sites without 800Mhz, and that included the IBEZ issues.  Still, impressed with the results and surprised T-Mobile overall came in behind Sprint.

I thought he said they'd finish the last 40% of sites without 800Mhz, and that included the IBEZ issues. Still, impressed with the results and surprised T-Mobile overall came in behind Sprint.

He said they "are focused on completing the other 40% by the end of the year when rebanding is complete." So it is contingent on the completion of rebanding. Which may extend beyond December 31st. The rebanding portion is out of their hands.

Sprint plans to be working on adding 800 capability in the IBEZ in 2015. Adding the radios at sites that are ready for them. In fact, work is already underway. This portion Sprint does have control over.

That way as each IBEZ region is certified and complete, Sprint can turn on 800MHz right away. But the actually fire up dates will be into 2016 in some instances. Because I imagine there will be places like Miami/Dade and San Bernardino that will pop up in the final IBEZ rebanding. Hopefully Sprint will be much more aggressive and early with their complaints to the FCC this time.

• Like 1

Still claiming RootMetrics methodology is bad.

https://twitter.com/JohnLegere/status/565173562257178624

I could say Ookla is a flawed data source as well if he wants to disagree with Root methodology.

1. T-Mobile whitelisted Ookla. T-Mo urban users are more likely to hit the button on Speedtest knowing it won't count.

2. There aren't enough EDGE users on T-Mobile to bump down the sample.

3. Ookla doesn't even do that great of a job tracking the crowd sourced data they get.

4. T-Mobile cherry picks data like crazy off Ookla.

It would have been better for T-Mo execs to say "we have to do some work on reliability and coverage, but we're on it" over spinning this.

Final point: Johnny loves Ookla but VZW wins it overall and is starting on a nice 1 Mbps gap on T-Mobile.

• Like 5

And most EDGE users can't even complete a speedtest!

On T-Mo here I'm usually at .12 Mbps. Usable for talk and text and some Twitter. Anything more data intensive and you're sitting and staring at the screen for a while.

The bigger issue is the topography of my town which you probably know is hilly as can be, that screws with mid band signal. Big reason why most here have Verizon. They were really the only carrier with low band here for a long time.

He said they "are focused on completing the other 40% by the end of the year when rebanding is complete." So it is contingent on the completion of rebanding. Which may extend beyond December 31st. The rebanding portion is out of their hands.

Sprint plans to be working on adding 800 capability in the IBEZ in 2015. Adding the radios at sites that are ready for them. In fact, work is already underway. This portion Sprint does have control over.

That way as each IBEZ region is certified and complete, Sprint can turn on 800MHz right away. But the actually fire up dates will be into 2016 in some instances. Because I imagine there will be places like Miami/Dade and San Bernardino that will pop up in the final IBEZ rebanding. Hopefully Sprint will be much more aggressive and early with their complaints to the FCC this time.

Does this mean getting 800 onto the GMOs too?

Does this mean getting 800 onto the GMOs too?

No.  Although some headway will be made with GMO upgrades this year, he is talking about sites ready to receive 800 upgrades.  Sites already NV full builds and those expected to be completed with NV full builds by end of year.  But I believe we will see half of the original GMO's converted by year's end based on things I am hearing.

I don't expect Sprint to ever publicly acknowledge GMO's.  Other than S4GRU members and the most nerdy wireless enthusiast, no one knows what a GMO is.  And Sprint doesn't want to start publicly talking about the crazy aunt living in the attic if the tech media isn't discussing it.  So we likely will only hear about GMO plans in hushed whispers.

No.  Although some headway will be made with GMO upgrades this year, he is talking about sites ready to receive 800 upgrades.  Sites already NV full builds and those expected to be completed with NV full builds by end of year.  But I believe we will see half of the original GMO's converted by year's end based on things I am hearing.

I don't expect Sprint to ever publicly acknowledge GMO's.  Other than S4GRU members and the most nerdy wireless enthusiast, no one knows what a GMO is.  And Sprint doesn't want to start publicly talking about the crazy aunt living in the attic if the tech media isn't discussing it.  So we likely will only hear about GMO plans in hushed whispers.

How many sites are GMOs? Compared to the rest?

Some are trying to diminish the measures of reliability in the mobile networks today. With all due respect, I can't disagree more. For most normal users, they need coverage, reliability, and speed. Most average users that I know couldn't care less about speed test apps. Now you want me to be completely realistic, the two smaller networks still have a gap between the two bigger ones. However that gap is closing quickly.

I just have a deep disagreement with those who don't think reliability matters, it certainly does in data. There's also going to be people using the legacy networks for voice for a long time. That's not going away.

• Like 8

Some are trying to diminish the measures of reliability in the mobile networks today. With all due respect, I can't disagree more. For most normal users, they need coverage, reliability, and speed. Most average users that I know couldn't care less about speed test apps. Now you want me to be completely realistic, the two smaller networks still have a gap between the two bigger ones. However that gap is closing quickly.

I just have a deep disagreement with those who don't think reliability matters, it certainly does in data. There's also going to be people using the legacy networks for voice for a long time. That's not going away.

Spend some time in the Sprint sub-reddit. Same clowns as FierceWireless and other sites using the same derp comments.

• Like 1

Jesus, good thing this board has strict moderating, in every other discussion channel this "03" guy is very trollish....

He's a good man. I just have a deep fundamental disagreement at this point.

Besides the data speeds, Sprint held their own overall. I was looking at the article on phonearena and was shocked they came in third I was expecting T-Mobile to take. So T-Mobiles network is not all too reliable and that speed is one thing but if you don't have a all around reliable network it won't go for much.

Sprint will absolutely do well in 2015. I'm happy with the results shown. BUT I know people will find a way to discredit Sprints results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People have already started discrediting them by saying that Call and Texting are the thing of the past and they they dont matter.

If I can't make a phone call or texts cant go out then i would be mad. I love my data but overall I want a network that will work for me in every way. Nobody lets Sprint have their time to shine. They are just hurt that T-Mobile lost to Sprint. Imagine how Johns' ego feels now. LOL

• Like 1

People have already started discrediting them by saying that Call and Texting are the thing of the past and they they dont matter.

If I can't make a phone call or texts cant go out then i would be mad. I love my data but overall I want a network that will work for me in every way. Nobody lets Sprint have their time to shine. They are just hurt that T-Mobile lost to Sprint. Imagine how Johns' ego feels now. LOL

Yea I know I've been seeing it all day but I'm sure if it was the other way around and T-Mobile came out ahead of Sprint OVERALL then it would call for a celebration. But I'm really shocked at how the tech sites have gave sprint their credit. T-Mobile just got caught slipping simple as that and shocked everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where does Sprint average over 20mbps?

I've hit 80Mbps in Baltimore...but usually around 5-10Mbps.

Central Illinois in the Pekin, Morton, Peoria, East Peoria area always get way above 20+ Mbs.

• Like 1

Clearly, they need to boost advertising in those markets.

Yeah they need to but they don't. I see Sprint's new commercials a lot. We have Spark here and thats why we get awesome data speeds. I know a lot of people who have Sprint and Love them. I switched to Sprint in 2012 and love them. I will be with them the rest of my life. 

• Like 1