HTC EVO 4G LTE

P_M_G

I played with it all day in Santa Fe and could never get it to come up with eHRPD. EVDO-A, all the way. :(

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I played with it all day in Santa Fe and could never get it to come up with eHRPD. EVDO-A, all the way. :(

That included eHRPD on this site: KC60XC007. By the deployment schedule and the site's slower data speeds, that site seems to be still all legacy infrastructure. According to the schedule, most other sites in Lawrence have at least gotten Network Vision backhaul.

AJ

Here is a noob question:

Are all NV sites automatically going to be LTE sites?

I know the whole deal is that NV is supposed to consolidate Sprint's various networks, but I am just starting to learn about all this telecom stuff. It's pretty interesting to follow you knowledgeable folks.

Also, how in the world do you access the forums with the interactive maps? I guess you are supposed to be some sort of sponsor, but I don't see any info on what that means or how to become one...

Edited by Oleyo3D

Here is a noob question:

Are all NV sites automatically going to be LTE sites?

I know the whole deal is that NV is supposed to consolidate Sprint's various networks, but I am just starting to learn about all this telecom stuff. It's pretty interesting to follow you knowledgeable folks.

Also, how in the world do you access the forums with the interactive maps? I guess you are supposed to be some sort of sponsor, but I don't see any info on what that means or how to become one...

What he said above. You can also go to this post to see more about what sponsoring is all about.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/page/index.html/_/announcements/s4gru-member-ranks-and-groups-r20

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to keep my off-topic post on it's own.

Anyway, I've had a good day of usage on battery today. This included a couple of navigation sessions, some calls, emails, web surfing, photo taking and uploading, game playing, etc. Fairly active usage for me. I'm very happy with this battery life.

PE6H6.png

**EDIT** The announcer on the NBA broadcast on TNT just called the phone the HTC 4G "Lite"! I'm sure the SPprint PR folks are tearing their hair out!

• Like 2

**EDIT** The announcer on the NBA broadcast on TNT just called the phone the HTC 4G "Lite"! I'm sure the SPprint PR folks are tearing their hair out!

No Kidding... I missed that. Also, Go Spurs!.. Would love to see a Boston - San Antonio Championship

Yeah, the weird thing is that I was in radioshack a couple days ago and everyone there was calling evo "lite" as well.

Yeah' date=' the weird thing is that I was in radioshack a couple days ago and everyone there was calling evo "lite" as well.[/quote']

Someone in another thread was saying how even non-techie people know what LTE means. That hasn't been my experience. Most folks I know have no idea what it means. I'm not surprised that folks are seeing LTE and thinking "lite".

• Like 1

Someone in another thread was saying how even non-techie people know what LTE means. That hasn't been my experience. Most folks I know have no idea what it means. I'm not surprised that folks are seeing LTE and thinking "lite".

well it just goes to show you how much the average person selling cellphones actually knows about their products.

But you can actually say it is a evo "lite" it weighs in and feels alot lighter than my old evo shift.

It seems to me that people know that LTE is somehow different than other 4G, and maybe better. But I am asked all the time...what is the difference between 4G and LTE by non-techies. FWIW...

It seems to me that people know that LTE is somehow different than other 4G, and maybe better. But I am asked all the time...what is the difference between 4G and LTE by non-techies. FWIW...

Tell them that LTE stands for "limited edition" and that they better hurry up and get theirs before LTE is sold out.

Seinfeld: I like the names they have for cars. Like, no baron has ever owned a LeBaron. Or the Ford LTD. "LTD." Limited. It's a "limited" edition. What did they make, fifty million of those? "Yes, it's 'limited' to the number we can sell." Or when they try and mangle a positive word into a car name, you know how they'll do that? The "Integra." Oh, integrity? No, Integra. The "Supra." Or the "Impreza." Yeah? Well, I hope it's not a "lemona." Or you'll be hearing from my "lawya."

AJ

• Like 9

FYI, I took this screenshot today in Macon (Georgia market), which I don't believe is scheduled for NV until 2013 at the earliest. Maybe eHRPD is being activated at the RF switch level, not by market?

eHRPD in Macon?

For the ehrpd people...and others. If you dial ##DATA# then hit view. Go to advanced and scroll down to the bottom. What is your LTE and ehrpd set to?

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

For the ehrpd people...and others. If you dial ##DATA# then hit view. Go to advanced and scroll down to the bottom. What is your LTE and ehrpd set to?

eHRPD = enabled

LTE = enabled

Hmmm...mine were both set to disabled.

That is Sprint's way of saying, "Hey, Baton Rouge, don't get your hopes up."

:P

AJ

• Like 2

Hmmm...mine were both set to disabled. I did enable them though.

Mine came that way.

Robert

That is Sprint's way of saying, "Hey, Baton Rouge, don't get your hopes up."

AJ

Ain't that the truth...wasn't a year or two ago that we finally got native EVDO here.

It is possible to run eHRPD in a legacy site through legacy backhaul. But its my understanding eHRPD will only be present after NV equipment upgrade. I dont believe the cards are there before hand.

But in the case where eHRPD runs through legacy backhaul and not connected to a new 4G core, there would likely not be any performance advantage over EVDO.

I have not been able to connect to any eHRPD here in New Mexico on our legacy sites here.

From what I know, eHRPD can be run network wide without any base station upgrades and is a software based solution that resides in the regional operations switch. In the case of Verizon, they are running eHPRD network wide without equipment being available in some area's and requires no additional cards of base station equipment.

Basically all eHRPD is, is a software that is stacked on top of HRPD and emulates the IMS LTE core functions for EVDO data session's to seamlessly handover between the two network's and is evolved HRPD or EVDO, being it run's with new routing protocols to more efficiently handle latency and multimedia session's, latency is typically decreased and its possible speed's are increased, but that would be a more direct result of backhaul as you stated.

But if your handset is connected to eHRPD, that is the *4G* core so you are already connected to it so it likely means they are going to deploy it network wide via software at the switch, or that area or neighboring area is ready to have LTE activated or is in progress.

It look's like Sprint is dividing the network up by regions which is what Verizon had to resort to because of all the eHRPD core outages, when Verizon's old system would go out, it would affect every 3G/LTE phone even in areas with no LTE nearby because eHRPD directly controls the authentication at this point for LTE and EVDO, now they have divided it up by region's and if one fails the others won't be tied in together and Sprint is very smart for doing this.

• Like 6

Both are enabled, thats how it came out of the box. My fiance's evolte also came enabled out of the box.

eHRPD = enabled

LTE = enabled

Not to be a stickler but mine said "Enable" for both, not "Enabled". Are you guys actually showing "Enabled" with the "ed" on the end?

Not to be a stickler but mine said "Enable" for both' date=' not "Enabled". Are you guys actually showing "Enabled" with the "ed" on the end?[/quote']

After further review, you're correct.