HTC EVO 4G LTE

P_M_G

The LTE/CDMA setting uses eHRPD (if available), while the CDMA only setting may fall back to traditional EV-DO. If so, that could account for the difference in data speeds.

AJ

Thanks for this. Was really confused how some people at xda were getting such good speeds there compared to the 3S in areas that NV hasn't started to he deployed really...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Yup....really really hate that I will have to use a 3rd party app now to manage my sound volumes bc I always have the notification set lower than ringtone here...

3rd party apps don't seem to be affecting the setting. I was reading some post reference this issue on Androidforums and apparently the linking is coded at a level that apps can't reach. In Audio Manager Pro the notification slider is grayed out and it only moves when you move ringer volume.

3rd party apps don't seem to be affecting the setting. I was reading some post reference this issue on Androidforums and apparently the linking is coded at a level that apps can't reach. In Audio Manager Pro the notification slider is grayed out and it only moves when you move ringer volume.

That was my understanding, too, third party apps are no help. Pretty sure I've read that this is an ICS "feature," not a Sense 4 limitation.

That was my understanding, too, third party apps are no help. Pretty sure I've read that this is an ICS "feature," not a Sense 4 limitation.

Correct. I had a friend check on stock ICS (not rooted) on a Nexus - tying notification and ring volumes is an ICS thing.

On the Nexus, a custom rom saved the day on that.

Dumb feature move.

• Like 1

Correct. I had a friend check on stock ICS (not rooted) on a Nexus - tying notification and ring volumes is an ICS thing.

Dumb feature move.

Yea, pretty sure it was you I originally heard that from, actually. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for this. Was really confused how some people at xda were getting such good speeds there compared to the 3S in areas that NV hasn't started to he deployed really...

By no means is my hypothesis about eHRPD and data speeds automatically correct. But if it is, then it reveals something interesting about Sprint's data network congestion. The slowdown may be due to bottlenecks in the EV-DO core network as much as it is lack of airlink and backhaul capacity.

To illustrate, eHRPD uses the same airlink and backhaul as EV-DO but uses the LTE core network instead of the EV-DO core network. If the airlink and backhaul are the same but eHRPD produces significantly higher data speeds than does EV-DO, then the LTE or EV-DO core network is the primary independent variable, hence likely responsible for the observed differences.

AJ

• Like 1

eHRPD should only be available on NV sites. So far, here in rural New Mexico, our EVO LTE is producing almost identical speeds to the E4GT and OG EVO's we have on EVDO. And, of course, we have no eHRPD or NV here.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 3

here mine is using eHRPD

also of note' date=' we (where i work) do have 1 evo lte left.....[/quote']

Here is your what? Is there supposed to be an attachment?

• Like 1

Dumb feature move.

That's an understatement!.....what possibly could be the reasoning behind removing that ability?

Were you able to do it on nexus devices running stock 2.3 without a 3rd party app?....

eHRPD should only be available on NV sites. So far, here in rural New Mexico, our EVO LTE is producing almost identical speeds to the E4GT and OG EVO's we have on EVDO. And, of course, we have no eHRPD or NV here.

That makes since....Ima have to double check but I swear someone in xda showed speeds vastly better side by side with the 3D on the lte and they were not in a NV market...

One thing i noticed is there is no more power saving mode overall like in the 3D...

That makes since....Ima have to double check but I swear someone in xda showed speeds vastly better side by side with the 3D on the lte and they were not in a NV market...

One thing i noticed is there is no more power saving mode overall like in the 3D...

And there are lots of reasons why two devices can have vastly different speeds, of course. The most obvious is being connected to different sites. And this is something difficult for most users to be able to definitively rule out.

But eHRPD is only available at NV sites. As AJ points out above that eHRPD is connected through new backhaul to new NV 4G cores. So only NV sites will have eHRPD.

My first speed test of the day was about 3 miles or so from the nearest site that is confirmed NV Complete according to your map here. It was showing as ehrpd. Here is the screenshot. As you can see, the speed was terrible. This is with CDMA/LTE enabled. I can't imagine it being much worse with just CDMA.

3j3J7.png

My first speed test of the day was about 3 miles or so from the nearest site that is confirmed NV Complete according to your map here. It was showing as ehrpd. Here is the screenshot. As you can see' date=' the speed was terrible. This is with CDMA/LTE enabled. I can't imagine it being much worse with just CDMA.

[/quote']

These sites don't have 4G LTE ready in your area, which typically means the 4G cores are not ready for your market or the enhanced backhaul, or both. So in a case where you can connect to eHRPD but 4G LTE is not ready, then the eHRPD is going to be limited...because it is either not connected to new NV backhaul or not connected to the new 4G core.

But eHRPD is only available at NV sites. As AJ points out above that eHRPD is connected through new backhaul to new NV 4G cores. So only NV sites will have eHRPD.

Robert, are you sure about that? I am under the impression -- quite possibly mistaken, though -- that eHRPD resides deeper in the network than the BTS. If so, eHRPD could still connect through non Network Vision backhaul.

Unfortunately, I still have some irregularity on my account that prevents me from activating a new device via the online activation tool. So, I cannot yet run any tests on eHRPD, as my EVO LTE sits here powered up but not activated.

AJ

These sites don't have 4G LTE ready in your area, which typically means the 4G cores are not ready for your market or the enhanced backhaul, or both. So in a case where you can connect to eHRPD but 4G LTE is not ready, then the eHRPD is going to be limited...because it is either not connected to new NV backhaul or not connected to the new 4G core.

Not to doubt you because I know nothing about this subject. I am just showing you the information I have from my experiences. This test that I did about an hour after the earlier one was directly across the street from a tower that does not appear on your list as NV complete. The speed here was excellent and it is showing ehrpd.

**EDIT** Now that I look at the map again, even though I was directly across the street from a non-NV tower, I was approx. 2000 meters or so as the crow flies from 2 NV complete towers. Although when I was across the street from the NV tower I was getting not so good speed. Oh well, it's all very interesting stuff to me. I wouldn't even have a clue about this stuff if it wasn't for you all on this site.

hLjO5.png?1

Robert' date=' are you sure about that? I am under the impression -- quite possibly mistaken, though -- that eHRPD resides deeper in the network than the BTS. If so, eHRPD could still connect through non Network Vision backhaul.

Unfortunately, I still have some irregularity on my account that prevents me from activating a new device via the online activation tool. So, I cannot yet run any tests on eHRPD, as my EVO LTE sits here powered up but not activated.

AJ[/quote']

It is possible to run eHRPD in a legacy site through legacy backhaul. But its my understanding eHRPD will only be present after NV equipment upgrade. I dont believe the cards are there before hand.

But in the case where eHRPD runs through legacy backhaul and not connected to a new 4G core, there would likely not be any performance advantage over EVDO.

I have not been able to connect to any eHRPD here in New Mexico on our legacy sites here.

**EDIT** Now that I look at the map again' date=' even though I was directly across the street from a non-NV tower, I was approx. 2000 meters or so as the crow flies from 2 NV complete towers. Although when I was across the street from the NV tower I was getting not so good speed. Oh well, it's all very interesting stuff to me. I wouldn't even have a clue about this stuff if it wasn't for you all on this site.

[/quote']

If you have CDMA/LTE enabled, you likely will default to the nearest site with eHRPD. Not the nearest EVDO site.

• Like 1

Unfortunately' date=' I still have some irregularity on my account that prevents me from activating a new device via the online activation tool. So, I cannot yet run any tests on eHRPD, as my EVO LTE sits here powered up but not activated.

AJ[/quote']

I too suffer from this problem and always have to call in. Its very annoying.

That's an understatement!.....what possibly could be the reasoning behind removing that ability?

Were you able to do it on nexus devices running stock 2.3 without a 3rd party app?....

I had my pals (trusted mods at AF and a few users) cross-check --> in stock ICS, the ability is simply gone, brand and OEM Android overlay notwithstanding.

As for why - my personal theory is that if you leave anything successful well enough alone long enough, some programmer or project manager or marketing group with clout will come along and fix it.

My life of software/hardware systems is full of people answering questions never asked, solving problems that didn't exist and adding feature without any regard for what they broke that made the solution worthwhile in the first place.

Buy me a brew, compadre, and I'll peel your ears back!!! :D:)

• Like 1

I did this speed test 1/8 mile away from Sprint site between 17th and 11th in hutch, west of hwy 61, and got eHRPD. Not a NV site. But its a legacy site. The closest site that is a NV site is 3 miles to the north(don't think I was connected to it) and did speed tests by it and didn't get ePHRPD.

186081094.png

• Like 2

I did this speed test 1/8 mile away from Sprint site between 17th and 11th in hutch' date=' west of hwy 61, and got eHRPD. Not a NV site. But its a legacy site. The closest site that is a NV site is 3 miles to the north(don't think I was connected to it) and did speed tests by it and didn't get ePHRPD.

[/quote']

You live in an active NV deployment area. You cannot definitively ever say you are or are not connected to a NV site when on eHRPD. Not all NV sites are on our maps, just ones statused as "On-Air." Sites also will likely go live before showing up on our maps.

How do you know which site you are connected to? Also, it may be possible to get EVDO from one site and eHRPD from another. I have yet to see anything definitive where someone is connected to a legacy site with eHRPD.

If someone connects to eHRPD in North Dakota, New Mexico or Maine, then I may be inclined to think something is up. But all the sources I have seen so far from trustworthy sources are from.people on NV deployment areas.

Also, eHRPD will only be beneficial in sites that have upgraded backhaul.

• Like 2

Well I now know that idle battery life is excellent. I unplugged with a full (well 99%) charge before bed. I woke up, checked a few emails and took this screenshot.

As you can see, cell service is pretty bad in my house right next to a window but that still didn't put any drain on the battery overnight. Of course, having wifi turned on helped as it wasn't hunting for a data signal all night.

The decision to keep my OG Evo and not do the buy-back is working as I use that device for my Sleepy Time rainstorm sound while I sleep and save the battery on the new phone.

Less than 24 hours in and I am overall very pleased with this phone. I use Chrome as my browser and over wifi it is dumb fast. I had one Sense reload when returning to the Home screen. The keyboard is not bad but I switched to Swiftkey as that's one I'm used to. It's taking some getting used to the ICS app drawer as my instinct is to swipe up and down not left to right. The facial recognition unlock is working very well. Even in some low-light conditions it has recognized me and unlocked.

The only real con so far is the strange decision to perma-link the ringer and notification volumes. The screen size is great visually although it now makes some interactions a two-handed affair, even with my large hands. I can't hold the device in one hand and reach the menu button in the top right with my thumb.

Oh well, more thoughts and observations as they come to me.

uwEB8.png?1

• Like 1

Well, at the very least, I can confirm that the the Preferred network mode toggle does enable/disable eHRPD. See the Field Trial screen caps below:

LTE/CDMA mode:

v2qjba.png

CDMA only mode:

k48olu.png

AJ

• Like 3