Sharp AQUOS Crystal User Thread

COZisBack

I've noticed that putting your ear half way down the phone had made a great difference in being able to hear with my Kyocera torque and vibe. Kyocera and sharp must be sharing parts... lol

installed signalcheck on the sprint demo at a local sprint store yesterday, noticed it was getting band 41 ( -105dBm ), while my lg g2 was getting -108dBm from band 25 ( Same site)  :o   ( even did airplane modle cycle on lg g2 and opened a web page to get data going with no sniff of band 41 

• Like 2

Just picked this Lil puppy for my mother in law and her data usage shot up 10 folds, went from 1gb month average to 11gb so far. She had an LG single band device before.

Also did RF comparison with my G3, it definitely performed better, 2-3dbm better on every band. Also held the connection better.

That is saying a lot, I consider the G3 one of the better RF performing devices out there.

• Like 2

Just picked this Lil puppy for my mother in law and her data usage shot up 10 folds, went from 1gb month average to 11gb so far. She had an LG single band device before.

That is a big jump on data. Was that the initial sync and app downloads?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

That is a big jump on data. Was that the initial sync and app downloads?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I was a bit surprised myself, when I finally asked her she admited that she has been online quite a bit more.

But watching streaming TV during her lunch break was the culprit, which is totally fine since we do have her on an unlimited plan.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up the Crystal last night and as I went into the engineering screen, discovered that you can have it overplayed on your main screen while doing your usual activities with your phone. Me I found B26, B41 in the Herndon/Reston area.

• Like 6

Yes the screen is sensitive, not use to a bezzle less phone, takes a little getting use to, voice sounds good thru the display but loudspeaker on back is a different story, this phone has no problem keeping lte signals I have seen, keeps it longer than other phones I have had which is the EVO 4G LTE, GS3, Note 2, and currently with Ativ S Neo.

• Like 1

Just got this device as an upgrade from the Optimus G that I bought from Robert. I feel the LTE reception is on par with the N5 from the 1-2 days of use that I have had. I love this phone. I have always been the type to get a phone that no one else has. My only qualm is the lack of quality accessories.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about picking this phone up, looks really nice. For those of you that own this device what do you think of it?  Does it play well with SignalCheck Pro?  Thoughts?  

Thinking about picking this phone up, looks really nice. For those of you that own this device what do you think of it?  Does it play well with SignalCheck Pro?  Thoughts?  

Just got mine on Friday but so far so good.  It performs basic smartphone tasks competently and so far I haven't experienced any lag or network speed issues.  Have successfully picked up all 3 LTE bands and it seems to hold signal well.  Definitely not a high end phone but I've had no issues with it as my daily driver.  Besides the price was definitely right!

• Like 1

It's a nice device, though call quality is odd (at least to me) due to not having a front speaker.  Plays well with SCP.  My only complaints are no root yet so you have to toggle airplane outside of SCP and no *#*#4636#*#* to set to LTE only (I use regularly searching for sites with my Nexus 5).

Honestly, glad I picked it up.  I switch between it and my Nexus 5 every once in a while just because.

• Like 1

Just to update on my recent purchase of this device I am quite impressed with the performance and the build quality of this phone. The bezel-less screen looks great not to mention the display looks very sharp and crisp with the colors popping out at you, Sharp really nailed it.  What is the most impressive is the performance of the radio, on LTE 1900 I see a stronger signal by -5dBm and on LTE 800 it shines with a -12dBm gain!  On my LG Volt I couldn't do any better than -99dBm in my house on LTE 800, with the Sharp Aquos Crystal I see a -87dBm connection!  It seems like Sharp got the signal bars configured correctly on LTE as well, this will definitely be a keeper.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Has it received any software updates yet since launch?

Yes, I received one in early December.  It broke my WiFi calling.  :mad:

If anyone does not now own the Sharp AQUOS Crystal, now's the time to buy it. Currently only $5/mo on Sprint Easy Pay. That's only $120 for the phone.

Sharp AQUOS Crystal on Sprint.com

That is an excellent price! I wonder if they're attempting to clear stock for a Crystal X launch...

Considering this is only a few dollars more than what she paid awhile back for her M400 flip phone, this could be what it takes to convince my mother to try a smartphone full-time, although the reports of a quiet earpiece have me a bit concerned. I'd also be able to borrow it to look for B26+41 during tower-spotting trips. :P

However, since her line is with Ting, the process to get there may be more trouble than it's worth. If it's true that stores won't match this price, I'd have to:

1.) Order online and wait for delivery.

2.) Activate on my Sprint line

3.) Go to store and pay off Easy Pay balance.

4.) Swap S4 back onto line.

5.) Call Ting to activate; cross fingers FEC clears.. or if not, wait however long it takes for Sprint & Ting to work that out.

Does that sound about right? It'd be nice to be able to just go to a store and leave without having to attach service, but that would make too much sense.

As an aside, assuming they're at least breaking even at this price, Sprint should be aggressively marketing this deal both to new customers and current customers that have a non-Spark device as a means to offload 3G and B25 to the other bands, especially since it's an RF champ.

That is an excellent price! I wonder if they're attempting to clear stock for a Crystal X launch...

Considering this is only a few dollars more than what she paid awhile back for her M400 flip phone, this could be what it takes to convince my mother to try a smartphone full-time, although the reports of a quiet earpiece have me a bit concerned. I'd also be able to borrow it to look for B26+41 during tower-spotting trips. :P

However, since her line is with Ting, the process to get there may be more trouble than it's worth. If it's true that stores won't match this price, I'd have to:

1.) Order online and wait for delivery.

2.) Activate on my Sprint line

3.) Go to store and pay off Easy Pay balance.

4.) Swap S4 back onto line.

5.) Call Ting to activate; cross fingers FEC clears.. or if not, wait however long it takes for Sprint & Ting to work that out.

Does that sound about right? It'd be nice to be able to just go to a store and leave without having to attach service, but that would make too much sense.

As an aside, assuming they're at least breaking even at this price, Sprint should be aggressively marketing this deal both to new customers and current customers that have a non-Spark device as a means to offload 3G and B25 to the other bands, especially since it's an RF champ.

I really think this deal is to get people to switch from a single band to Tri-band phone, and the price is the same for upgrades. I didn't get a chance to go into a store yesterday and see if they are matching this price in store or not, but with many of the discounts for buying on Easy Pay they are offering in store.

And I think this is a great starter phone for anyone transitioning from a basic phone to a smartphone.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1

• 2 weeks later...

The device only came out in Oct last year, so it is only been 6 months. So a 2nd generation would be at the end of this year around the same time. But that depends if it was a success. If it wasn't then the only one that can be blamed is Sharp. They should have release the device with the specs the overseas one had, then it could have been a contender. The bezel less format and the screen as a speaker were sure fire hits, but that alone may not have cut it to be a success.

I guess we'll see in about 6 months.

TS

• Like 1