Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

No matter what, I'm sure Verizon will try to market a 5G that is not technically legit. And then cause everyone else to do create their own 5G marketing. It's going to be a mess.

If it's just LTE Advanced with wider pipes and more aggregates, it's not a change in technology nor a generational increase. Nothing in the current development pipeline should be called 5G, IMHO.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 3

Does 5G have 5 razor blades or 6?

No.  14.  Platinum Mach 14.  Saturday Night Live.

mach14.jpg

AJ

• Like 4

5g will be rolled out as fast as 4g was. It will move at the speed of press releases from marketing departments.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Well they met all goals I believe and for the majority it worked as advertised. No back peddling about back haul, only in metro, we need more equipment, we need better coordination, we need more time, we needed more money.

If Marcelo can deliver his network as he promised- then he'll get great praise. And will be deserved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

And Sprint is delivering better on its timelines than it ever has in the past.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

Absolutely correct.

Hopefully it continues and the infrastructure can keep up as customers try it out...

Well they met all goals I believe and for the majority it worked as advertised. No back peddling about back haul, only in metro, we need more equipment, we need better coordination, we need more time, we needed more money.

If Marcelo can deliver his network as he promised- then he'll get great praise. And will be deserved.

I wasn't trying to single out a company Sprint or otherwise. Pretty much all of them were guilty of calling 3g technologies 4g.

I remember the WSJ calling out AT&T (one of the late ones to 4g marketing party) because one night they rolled out nationwide 4g by renaming their current footprint of hspa+ to 4g.

• Like 1

Verizon's definition of 5G from the press release sourced in one of my posts above:

The expected benefits of 5G, as described during Verizon’s inaugural forum, include about 50 times the throughput of current 4G LTE, latency in the single milliseconds, and the ability to handle exponentially more Internet-connected devices to accommodate the expected explosion of the Internet of Everything.

• Like 2

I wasn't trying to single out a company Sprint or otherwise. Pretty much all of them were guilty of calling 3g technologies 4g.

I remember the WSJ calling out AT&T (one of the late ones to 4g marketing party) because one night they rolled out nationwide 4g by renaming their current footprint of hspa+ to 4g.

My apologies :-)

Yeah AT&T was a hot mess I assume they really thought they had TMO. Now they are a spectrum cobbler expert lol. I currently use them and I'm happy with performance. But it is getting worse.

• Like 1

Latency in the single milliseconds from the tower to the hand set in the lab with the distance between tower and handset less than 50 feet, unloaded channel, no interference. Yep, doable.

I'm sure there were people who didn't think LTE Advanced speeds were doable. Sprint could push 2.6 Gbps with equipment in the field today, so it isn't that huge of a stretch. The only reason Sprint isn't doing a PR demo for Nokia out in the field in KC is because all the old narratives about Soon would pop up again. 

• Like 1

Looks like you can't see network.sprint.com anymore as far as what towers have upgrades anymore. It just takes you to Sprint's horribly outdated map now. They never really expanded to much on there voice coverage even though it has definitely expanded there voice network. Under promise and over deliver I guess. I feel like its getting harder and harder to see if a new tower is available since there is no band 41/26 source and now there's no network.sprint.com source either.

Looks like you can't see network.sprint.com anymore as far as what towers have upgrades anymore. It just takes you to Sprint's horribly outdated map now. They never really expanded to much on there voice coverage even though it has definitely expanded there voice network. Under promise and over deliver I guess. I feel like its getting harder and harder to see if a new tower is available since there is no band 41/26 source and now there's no network.sprint.com source either.

It's there. Just been moved.

http://network.sprint.com/search/27502/

Sent from my M8

• Like 1

A few disclaimers...

In Kansas City, BBQ sauce matters.  The sauce is not an excuse -- it is a delicious, integral part of the experience.

AJ

AJ - I have a short layover in KC airport this evening.  Do I have any options for KC BBQ experience while in the airport, or am I relegated to Applebees?

AJ - I have a short layover in KC airport this evening.  Do I have any options for KC BBQ experience while in the airport, or am I relegated to Applebees?

Which terminal, B or C?  Unfortunately, none of the Kansas City BBQ legends has a location at the airport.  It is a curious omission.  If I did not have a class to teach this evening, I would even bring you BBQ at the airport from Bryant's, Gates, or Joe's.

AJ

Which terminal, B or C?  Unfortunately, none of the Kansas City BBQ legends has a location at the airport.  It is a curious omission.  If I did not have a class to teach this evening, I would even bring you BBQ at the airport from Bryant's, Gates, or Joe's.

AJ

Thanks for the offer and the bad news!  I'm flying Southwest which I believe is in terminal "B".  

Thanks for the offer and the bad news!  I'm flying Southwest which I believe is in terminal "B".  

Because of Southwest, Terminal B is the busier one, so you will have more food and beverage choices.  At least one of the terminal restaurants serves BBQ, but I cannot speak to its quality.  If you like beer, you should have a Kansas City local Boulevard brew on tap during your layover.  Try Unfiltered Wheat or Pale Ale.  I do not drink beer any longer, but Pale Ale was one of my favorites for years.

AJ

• Like 2

Do we have any info on a timeline of any kind for NGN outside of sprint's 3-4 years? To be specific, do we have any idea when we could start seeing the deployment of a large amount of small cells or when we could see the first macro sites coming online?

• Like 1

Sprint: AT&T won’t let us advertise to DirecTV customers

Link: http://www.rcrwireless.com/20150910/carriers/sprint-att-wont-let-us-advertise-to-directv-customers-tag6

Here's the published letter Sprint sent to AT&T: http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/an-open-letter-to-our-friends-at-att-and-directv.htm

AT&T... Now with more censorship!

• Like 12

Sprint: AT&T won’t let us advertise to DirecTV customers

Link: http://www.rcrwireless.com/20150910/carriers/sprint-att-wont-let-us-advertise-to-directv-customers-tag6

Here's the published letter Sprint sent to AT&T: http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/an-open-letter-to-our-friends-at-att-and-directv.htm

AT&T... Now with more censorship!

Contacted for comment, an AT&T representative responded that, “It’s another Sprint marketing gimmick for a misleading offer.”

Perhaps the AT&T representative should've spelled out what exactly is misleading about it. Moreover, whether it's misleading or not, that's a choice that the consumer should be allowed to make, not AT&T.

• Like 5

Perhaps the AT&T representative should've spelled out what exactly is misleading about it. Moreover, whether it's misleading or not, that's a choice that the consumer should be allowed to make, not AT&T.

Exactly. Per the last paragraph of the letter (http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/an-open-letter-to-our-friends-at-att-and-directv.htm), the next 24 hours should be very interesting. I don't see Marcelo or Kevin backing down.

I have a feeling the FCC/FTC would be interested in this...

• Like 2

The info has been really paltry on NGN but that's by design. SoftBank is trying to underpromise and overdeliver. It's a refreshing change from Sprint past.

I'm a HUGE fan of underpromising and overdelivering.  It's great that they are managing expectations.