Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I do enjoy my $8 bleacher seats though.

Since when in the new stadium have you gotten $8 seats?  That place is practically the US Treasury.

Did you score a sweetheart, "opposite" deal on tickets?

AJ

• Like 3

I use Sprint in Denver nearly every month or two and it works very well. And it is way, way better than AT&T there. And the RootMetrics reports prove it. Sprint is not perfect in every location, but when you measure the whole metro, they are competitive. And in the case of AT&T, they kick their ass in Denver. I'm sick of my AT&T data timing out.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

What is AT&T running spectrum wise for LTE there?

What is AT&T running spectrum wise for LTE there?

I've never bothered to check there officially to see what they own. But I mostly am on B17 and very occasionally on B4. I saw B2 once for a moment.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

I've never bothered to check there officially to see what they own. But I mostly am on B17 and very occasionally on B4. I saw B2 once for a moment.

I just looked up what they own a little bit ago, was just wondering what they're actually using. They have enough AWS for 10x10, and enough 700 for 10x10 as well. It looks like they have a boatload of PCS there too. They could deploy 15x15 B2 at least if not 20x20. It sounds like the band prioritizion functions as it does in NWI with B17 being run as the main layer.
  • Like 1

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-claure-gives-himself-3-5-years-turnaround-after-1-year-job/2015-08-25

Marcelo is saying he gives himself 3 to 5 years to turn Sprint around. What happened to the 24 months of being no. 1 or 2 for the network?

There's more to the turnaround of a company than being the number one or number two rated network.

I just looked up what they own a little bit ago, was just wondering what they're actually using. They have enough AWS for 10x10, and enough 700 for 10x10 as well. It looks like they have a boatload of PCS there too. They could deploy 15x15 B2 at least if not 20x20. It sounds like the band prioritizion functions as it does in NWI with B17 being run as the main layer.

Sorry I forgot to mention carrier widths. The B17 and B4 I used was 10x10. But I think the B2 was 5x5. They may need to do more B2 refarming to fully open it up.

• Like 1

Sorry I forgot to mention carrier widths. The B17 and B4 I used was 10x10. But I think the B2 was 5x5. They may need to do more B2 refarming to fully open it up.

Funny, they're running the exact same thing in Chicago and yet we don't have any problems anywhere in the city on AT&T. Must be a lot denser here.

• Like 1

Funny, they're running the exact same thing in Chicago and yet we don't have any problems anywhere in the city on AT&T. Must be a lot denser here.

Chi has a metric ton of small cells and DAS for AT&T. Still looking forward to them universally rolling out wideband PCS though.

I haven't yet grabbed an AT&T SIM to test AT&T's progress but because of my rural address the duopoly are the main choices. I tried T-Mo's LTE on a $30 SIM but struggled a lot with large parts of Randolph County with 0 coverage.

Chi has a metric ton of small cells and DAS for AT&T. Still looking forward to them universally rolling out wideband PCS though.

I haven't yet grabbed an AT&T SIM to test AT&T's progress but because of my rural address the duopoly are the main choices. I tried T-Mo's LTE on a $30 SIM but struggled a lot with large parts of Randolph County with 0 coverage.

I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon, they'll have to shut off the remaining PCS WCDMA carriers to get 15x15 B2. Though they could at least for now shut off one of the two PCS carriers remaining, and make B2 LTE 10x10. But yeah with all the small cells and DAS for AT&T it'll take a lot of effort on Sprints part to beat them out, even T-Mobile doesn't seem do as well as AT&T.

Extremely exciting. Really makes me want to buy an iPhone 6s just so I can experience CA but I'm going to wait until the iPhone 7 (2016 version). Devices next year will support 3x20 CA, and possibly TD/FDD LTE CA which I hope the iPhone 7 will have.

• Like 1

Extremely exciting. Really makes me want to buy an iPhone 6s just so I can experience CA but I'm going to wait until the iPhone 7 (2016 version). Devices next year will support 3x20 CA, and possibly TD/FDD LTE CA which I hope the iPhone 7 will have.

Exciting times at Sprint, that's for sure. Hopefully Apple adopts this quickly enough for it to make it to the iPhone 7 feature set.

Have you considered doing iPhone Forever?

Hmmmm... Happy to see Sprint trying things, but their old idea was a pretty good one in my opinion as long as their threshold was low on when to add B41. Nothing makes my cringe more than seeing B41 in the middle of nowhere. The reason I say this is because it costs money to deploy and to have that level of fiber available. For a company with a lot of debt, just doesn't make sense to deploy where you do not need it (example: markets with B25 ~12 mbps or greater).
  • Like 1

Hmmmm... Happy to see Sprint trying things, but their old idea was a pretty good one in my opinion as long as their threshold was low on when to add B41. Nothing makes my cringe more than seeing B41 in the middle of nowhere. The reason I say this is because it costs money to deploy and to have that level of fiber available. For a company with a lot of debt, just doesn't make sense to deploy where you do not need it (example: markets with B25 ~12 mbps or greater).

Seems like SoftBank is footing the bill on this somehow.

Randall Stephenson's butthole is set to maximum pucker -- Sprint is going to have the second best network in 12-18 months.

I'll bet it is. I wonder if this will affect Sprint's plans for the 600MHz auction any.

What changed their minds on their CA deployment strategy?

I thought their CA strategy was always to deploy it where it was eligible (backhaul, equipment, spectrum availability) since it is a software push. Or am I confusing this with the 2.5 equipment roll out which they previously pivoted to focus on high need towers?

It's all apart of the Next Gen network plan which SoftBank is covering. Crazy how Marcelo didn't necessarily care about speeds but that's quickly changing

It's marketing.  Sprint could not compete on speeds back then.  Now that they have a game plan and spectrum that's capable, they're now focusing on the speed advantage.

It's all apart of the Next Gen network plan which SoftBank is covering. Crazy how Marcelo didn't necessarily care about speeds but that's quickly changing

Right. It sounds like something recently changed with what SoftBank was willing to cover.

I think he cared about speeds, but not as much as making sure the people would be able to complete a phone call or send a text. Voice/Text complaints probably registered the highest on why people were leaving. Sprint has solid performance rankings on both now, so data is the next piece of the puzzle to solve.

Here is hoping the new Nexus devices and new iPhone(s?) all support CA going forward then.

My wife just went from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6 and has already been having a much better experience on Sprint now that she can hop on B41 that is pretty much blanketed Austin now.

I hope Sprint can keep it up but I fear they will need more than a debt swap/lease offloading to Brightstar to bring them to a place where they are doing well. 

• Like 1

Well the plan has always been to put B41 on every site because it's Sprint's bread and butter. It just changed after Claure came to power because he had to prioritize and save the finances, however it panned out and he already stated he's gonna put all three bands on every site.

According to Robert, they're gonna up Tx of B41 to nearly match B25, and after screwing around in labs & going through the standardization process, make a B41+B25 CA where B25 acts as uplink. More speeds for everyone everywhere.

The idea I could get 100Mbps down in rural Pennsylvania while getting some barbecue is pretty great.

• Like 1

Well the plan has always been to put B41 on every site because it's Sprint's bread and butter. It just changed after Claure came to power because he had to prioritize and save the finances, however it panned out and he already stated he's gonna put all three bands on every site.

According to Robert, they're gonna up Tx of B41 to nearly match B25, and after screwing around in labs & going through the standardization process, make a B41+B25 CA where B25 acts as uplink. More speeds for everyone everywhere.

The idea I could get 100Mbps down in rural Pennsylvania while getting some barbecue is pretty great.

Texas BBQ >>> Pennsylvania bbq

Sent from my SM-N910T

• Like 4