Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

The Woman Behind Sprint's Chicago Shakeup

Some good info in this article about Sprint's Chicago Market and Management Model Experiment.

They were at Lollapooloza too. Here's a tidbit from a while back about local improvements:

Sprint, the official wireless sponsor of Lollapalooza, will offer two pavilions with free Wi-Fi and recently made permanent capacity upgrades in Grant Park and the surrounding areas, said Yui Namiki, Sprint communications marketing manager for Chicago.  

Both Sprint and T-Mobile say they have COWs ready to handle Lollapalooza traffic this weekend.

Good tidbits in there about Marcelo's management style too!

Thoughts?

• Like 3

It's how it is. The other three run single mode operations which allow them to broadcast higher power settings compared to Sprint who runs dual mode on their RRUs and has the split the power between LTE and CDMA. 

Is this changing though? It seems nearly every site around me has received a second NV antenna in the last month or so.

Yes, and it actually seems like they're doing this in the Missouri market and a few others.

Is this changing though? It seems nearly every site around me has received a second NV antenna in the last month or so.

No. Those are high capacity adds. All the second set of antennas and radios do is add additional CDMA carriers.. Originals run CDMA+LTE. Limitation of dual mode operation limits the first radio to 2 LTE carriers + up to 6 CDMA carriers. If you need more CDMA carriers you need to add another radio and a RF combiner or another antenna and radio. 

I have to say I don't have any more faith in Marcelo.

Maybe he just hasn't had time to wait in line for 3 hours for Franklin's BBQ here in Austin 

Franklin-BBQ2.jpg

//Edit:

ON A NON BBQ NOTE:

I am super excited for Sprint's future. I think there is considerable risk going forward with how the whole lease debt offloading and the scheme for densification in general BUT at least where I am Sprint has rapidly turned the corner and surpassed even my expectations.

Super hopeful for the next Nexus 5 to have CA and the next iPhone too so my family can really take advantage of the new and improved network.

• Like 4

No. Those are high capacity adds. All the second set of antennas and radios do is add additional CDMA carriers.. Originals run CDMA+LTE. Limitation of dual mode operation limits the first radio to 2 LTE carriers + up to 6 CDMA carriers. If you need more CDMA carriers you need to add another radio and a RF combiner or another antenna and radio.

As a society more focused on data than a traditional phone call, this is actually quite a shocking bit of information. I guess refarming will be held off for a good while longer, hm?

Yes, and it actually seems like they're doing this in the Missouri market and a few others.

The fun thing is that Sprint has really good performance in this market, so maybe it's a change they could consider making across the system.

Have one antenna for 800/1900 LTE.

Have one antenna for 800/1900 CDMA.

Have one antenna for 8T8R 2600 LTE.

Repeat per sector and per tower.

The fun thing is that Sprint has really good performance in this market, so maybe it's a change they could consider making across the system.

Have one antenna for 8T8R 2600 LTE.

Repeat per sector and per tower.

Or have one antenna set up as LTE only and one as CDMA only... lots of shennigans could be had but it defeats the point of of Network Vision having multi RAT capable equipment and free rack space that can easily add future technologies as it becomes available (see 8T8R equipment). .

Or have one antenna set up as LTE only and one as CDMA only... lots of shennigans could be had but it defeats the point of of Network Vision having multi RAT capable equipment and free rack space that can easily add future technologies as it becomes available (see 8T8R equipment). .

I can tell the difference big time. I'll hold onto T-Mobile B4 almost as good as b26. B4 is stronger than b25.

Sent from my M8

I can tell the difference big time. I'll hold onto T-Mobile B4 almost as good as b26. B4 is stronger than b25.

Sent from my M8

Having a more dense network also helps that. Fully optimized b26 will be further than b4 or 2 or 25. Technology cannot change physics. How the networks are deployed matters.

Dual mode equipment have restrictions but those restrictions are not significant enough to say *so and so are going to be always superior by %%* or else there would be no point of dual mode equipment.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Having a more dense network also helps that. Fully optimized b26 will be further than b4 or 2 or 25. Technology cannot change physics. How the networks are deployed matters.

Dual mode equipment have restrictions but those restrictions are not significant enough to say *so and so are going to be always superior by %%* or else there would be no point of dual mode equipment.

Sent from my Nexus 5

True. Being on wider channels with higher density helps tremendously, but I feel that the multi-node setup degrades power output levels to a noticeable level. Almost in every case outside, T-Mobile has stronger signal from the same site.

Do you think Sprint will switch to single node down the road?

Sent from my M8

True. Being on wider channels with higher density helps tremendously, but I feel that the multi-node setup degrades power output levels to a noticeable level. Almost in every case outside, T-Mobile has stronger signal from the same site.

Sent from my M8

Again. Equipment differences and deployment differences. It is not true everywhere and for every carrier. It's not a significant power restriction regardless. At most it's within a few single digits RSRP difference between single mode and dual mode operation.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

What about sites that have 2 B25 carriers and a B26 carrier. Did they need a second antenna?

Sent from my Nexus 6

What about sites that have 2 B25 carriers and a B26 carrier. Did they need a second antenna?

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 1

That looks just about like what I used to get at my favorite BBQ in TX, Hard 8.

http://www.hardeightbbq.com/

I'm glad you turned me on to Hard Eight BBQ.  One of the best Texas pit BBQ's I've ever had.  Fantastic.  I can taste the pit smoked prime rib right now.  Emmmm.

• Like 1

Make your way to STL. We'll go on a whistle stop tour of great BBQ - my treat!

*cough cough* Pappy's my good sir, you better go to Pappy's....

Sugar Fire!

I'm glad you turned me on to Hard Eight BBQ.  One of the best Texas pit BBQ's I've ever had.  Fantastic.  I can taste the pit smoked prime rib right now.  Emmmm.

I love how whatever what we talk about it keeps coming back to BBQ. lol  :D

• Like 1

I love how whatever what we talk about it keeps coming back to BBQ. lol  :D

Don't get me started about fried chicken.  It's even worse.  I do weigh over 300 lbs. for a reason.

• Like 8

I'm glad you turned me on to Hard Eight BBQ. One of the best Texas pit BBQ's I've ever had. Fantastic. I can taste the pit smoked prime rib right now. Emmmm.

Their banana pudding is phenomenal too!

• Like 2