Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

It's been a while since I've been to Austin, but it was all Clearwire LTE in the parts of Austin I visited last time.

If Nokia got Austin covered with 8T8R equipment as of recrntly, then I guess that makes Houston the black sheep. Mostly Clearwire LTE for me in this area.

It's not completely covered as in every site has he equipment installed. It's Nokia having a good amount of sites installed and live with more appearing every day to augment the clear b41 and sprint network so its a mix.

The Samsung clear b41 sites aren't that bad either.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Not as much as covered as completely covered as much as Nokia does have equipment deployed and live so that clear b41 is not the only b41 that exists.

Whoa!  I had to read that sentence three times to fully grasp what you were trying to say.   :blink:

• Like 4

Whoa! I had to read that sentence three times to fully grasp what you were trying to say. :blink:

Engrish. I lack it while procrastinating ........

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 2

One additional comment Arysyn -

Please drop the entire health crap. Please drop the nearly constant mentions of your mother.

I'm not trying to be rude but its old, and quite frankly, we don't care. Its not that we don't care in a personal sense. Its that we don't care to continue to read it over, and Over, and OVER. We all have barriers to get over and challenges to face - you are not unique. Example - I have type 1 diabetes and am tied to an insulin pump 24 hours a day. Have I EVER mentioned that before on this message board? No. Nobody cares. This is not the place.

I can not speak for the rest of the members here, nor staff, but simply reading and abiding the above would earn you much more respect from the side of the computer in which I am sitting.

Rather than my going into an immense detail of a response to this, I'll just link to my story, and let it be that.

Regarding my mentioning my mother in some of my posts, I do that whenever I need to explain to someone when discussing my cell phone usage in such where I need to mention it isn't my account, but her's. I would have gone about the cell phone stuff differently if it were my own account.

Here is my situation :

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-health-right-to-die-story.html#page=1

• Like 2

Also, some Sprint-related news regarding a "patent troll", which has sued Sprint and other carriers. I'm not understanding exactly how this works.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/06/patent-troll-wins-30m-verdict-against-sprint-has-more-trials-on-the-way/

I still have a hard time understanding how patents can be issued for such vague ideas.

• Like 2

To move on, what is the most Sprint can deploy typically between band 41 with PCS aggregated

About 200 MHz.  30 MHz PCS in a 15 MHz FDD configuration.  And the rest in BRS/EBS in a TDD or supplemental downlink configuration.

However, that is not even worthy of speculation at this point.  That is years away -- if it ever happens.  It requires a full CDMA2000 shutdown, and circumstances can change between now and then.  LTE might not even be the dominant airlink by then.

Regardless, no current LTE baseband can aggregate greater than three carriers for greater than 60 MHz of total downlink bandwidth.  Even in a purely lab setting, Sprint presently would have to choose between 3x CA 20+20+20 MHz TDD -- or 3x CA 15 MHz FDD + 20+20 MHz TDD.

Those are the limits.  They probably will increase as time goes on.  Maybe even carrier bandwidths will be standardized at 40 MHz FDD/TDD or greater.  But we do not know how much or how soon.  So, let us try not to get wrapped up in pie in the sky ideas.

AJ

• Like 2

Marcelo Claure: the Sprint CEO has become the highest paid chief executive in the US telecoms sector

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6d6466a0-1c1f-11e5-a130-2e7db721f996.html

$22 milion for seven-and-a-half months of work.

All I got was this lousy t-shirt.

• Like 5

Also, some Sprint-related news regarding a "patent troll", which has sued Sprint and other carriers. I'm not understanding exactly how this works.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/06/patent-troll-wins-30m-verdict-against-sprint-has-more-trials-on-the-way/

The patent troll is suing the other major operators, too.  But suing T-Mobile in the same court district in Nebraska is a bad idea.  T-Mobile could claim that it is not subject to the court's jurisdiction -- because T-Mobile does not conduct business in Nebraska.

I say that both seriously and tongue in cheek...

AJ

• Like 11

However, that is not even worthy of speculation at this point. That is years away -- if it ever happens. It requires a full CDMA2000 shutdown, and circumstances can change between now and then. LTE might not even be the dominant airlink by then.

AJ

Just curious AJ, is it possible to squeeze a single CDMA1x carrier alongside a 15x15MHz PCS LTE setup, not too unlike what AT&T has done with GSM?

Just curious AJ, is it possible to squeeze a single CDMA1x carrier alongside a 15x15MHz PCS LTE setup, not too unlike what AT&T has done with GSM?

Maybe but not likely.

A 15 MHz FDD carrier occupies at least 13.5 MHz FDD -- double that for uplink and downlink to a total of 27 MHz.  A CDMA1X carrier occupies at least 1.25 MHz FDD -- double that for uplink and downlink to a total of 2.5 MHz.  That would leave a remaining 500 kHz for guard bands, which would have to be divided six ways.  Probably not sufficient guard bands.

Plus, squeezing a lone CDMA1X 1900 carrier into the LTE carrier internal guard bands would require new PRLs for all devices.  Any device that did not get a new PRL would lose all CDMA1X 1900 access.

AJ

• Like 1

I have a question. My friend moved to South Dakota and her iPhone says extended 1x. Is the roaming there counted as native coverage or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question. My friend moved to South Dakota and her iPhone says extended 1x. Is the roaming there counted as native coverage or not?

Extended 1x is roaming.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Extended 1x is roaming.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Ok thanks a lot.

LTE might not even be the dominant airlink by then.

Is there development on the next generation of airlink? If so is there any details? Do you think LTE will get the same "mileage" as CDMA/GSM did?

Is there development on the next generation of airlink?

RLTE.  Really Long Term Evolution.

AJ

• Like 6

Is there development on the next generation of airlink? If so is there any details? Do you think LTE will get the same "mileage" as CDMA/GSM did?

The one that has been getting the most buzz is Universal-Filtered OFDM (UF-OFDM).

ExtenzeLTE

[http://www]

Do not click that link or do that search -- unless you want to see/hear about big penises.  And I am not talking speed test e-penises.

:P

AJ

• Like 3

ExtenzeLTE

Hmm, I don't know. But maybe we should ask Verizon for another clever yet bullshit marketing term? They are good at that. XLTE wasn't bad at all for the unknowing.

Maybe ZLTE? Or maybe eLTE would work with say extendedLTE, or XLTE 2.0? Hmm. Or maybe SvXLTE2.1? Super Verizon XLTE Advanced 2.1 with VoLTE Advanced Calling 3.0*?

I give up.  ;)

*Please turn VoLTE off to increase call reliability in the many [non-urban] areas where Verizon has holes in their LTE just like any other carrier.

• Like 6

The one that has been getting the most buzz is Universal-Filtered OFDM (UF-OFDM).

UF-OFDM is not nearly as catchy as LTE. When VZW launches it will be XUF-OFDM.

Sent from my Sprint LG G4

• Like 1

UF-OFDM is not nearly as catchy as LTE. When VZW launches it will be XUF-OFDM.

Actually, it will be FUK-DAT.

AJ

• Like 13

Whatever the technical name is, it will be called "5G" by at least one carrier at some point regardless of technical accuracy. Or maybe even 6G like Microsoft going from Windows 8 to 10 (yeah I know there were technical reasons for it but it's still kinda funny).

• Like 2