Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

2nd Half 2019 RootMetrics reports are starting to come out. Here are a few highlights from what's available (both good and bad)

Baton Rouge, LA - Median download speed decreased from 17.6Mbps to 11.5Mbps

Boise, ID - Median download speed increased from 10.7Mbps to 18.9Mbps

Cincinnati, OH - Median download speed increased from 21.6Mbps to 31.1Mbps

Concord, CA -  Median download speed increased from 18.5Mbps to 32.1Mbps

Dayton, OH - Median download speed increased from 19.6Mbps to 28.2Mbps

El Paso, TX - Sprint had the fastest median download speed at 27.2Mbps, down from from 28.5Mbps on the last report

Las Vegas, NV - Sprint had the fastest median download speed at 46.5Mbps, up from 45.7Mbps on the last report. 

Madison, WI - Median download speed decreased from 12.2Mbps to 9Mbps

McAllen, TX - Median download speed increased from 10.5Mbps to 20.7Mbps. 

Minneapolis, MN - Median download speed increased from 24.1Mbps to 33.7Mbps. 

Portland, OR - Median download speed increased from 23.4Mbps to 43Mbps (wow!)

Provo, UT - Sprint had the fastest median download speed at 33.9Mbps, down from 37.8Mbps. 

Sarasota, FL - Median download speed decreased from 22.6Mbps to 14.1Mbps. 

Spokane, WA - Median download speed increased from 29.6Mbps to 39.8Mbps. 

Temecula, CA - Median download speed decreased from 24.2Mbps to 15.1Mbps. 

No awards. 

• Like 4

2nd Half 2019 RootMetrics reports are starting to come out. Here are a few highlights from what's available (both good and bad)
Baton Rouge, LA - Median download speed decreased from 17.6Mbps to 11.5Mbps
Boise, ID - Median download speed increased from 10.7Mbps to 18.9Mbps
Cincinnati, OH - Median download speed increased from 21.6Mbps to 31.1Mbps
Concord, CA -  Median download speed increased from 18.5Mbps to 32.1Mbps
Dayton, OH - Median download speed increased from 19.6Mbps to 28.2Mbps
El Paso, TX - Sprint had the fastest median download speed at 27.2Mbps, down from from 28.5Mbps on the last report
Las Vegas, NV - Sprint had the fastest median download speed at 46.5Mbps, up from 45.7Mbps on the last report. 
Madison, WI - Median download speed decreased from 12.2Mbps to 9Mbps
McAllen, TX - Median download speed increased from 10.5Mbps to 20.7Mbps. 
Minneapolis, MN - Median download speed increased from 24.1Mbps to 33.7Mbps. 
Portland, OR - Median download speed increased from 23.4Mbps to 43Mbps (wow!)
Provo, UT - Sprint had the fastest median download speed at 33.9Mbps, down from 37.8Mbps. 
Sarasota, FL - Median download speed decreased from 22.6Mbps to 14.1Mbps. 
Spokane, WA - Median download speed increased from 29.6Mbps to 39.8Mbps. 
Temecula, CA - Median download speed decreased from 24.2Mbps to 15.1Mbps. 
No awards. 

Nice speeds but we all know it’s the upload that’s killing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, derrph said:

Nice speeds but we all know it’s the upload that’s killing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah until the upload issues are resolved, no matter how great the download speeds, Sprint is unlikely to win any RootScore awards. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brad The Beast said:

What about those terrible decreases in median download speed? What's that about?

Low priority markets/lack of spectrum/low density. Sprint needs to pick and choose their battles. They will never be strong in every market (same for all carriers)

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Low priority markets/lack of spectrum/low density. Sprint needs to pick and choose their battles. They will never be strong in every market (same for all carriers)

They don't have to necessarily be strong but letting data speeds plummet like that is not acceptable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

They don't have to necessarily be strong but letting data speeds plummet like that is not acceptable. 

There is only so much money to go around.

Improving the data speed in those areas will cost giving up speed somewhere else, and likely somewhere they have more market share. Sprint does prioritize certain markets and let other markets struggle. That's what you've got to do when you're stretched for money/resources. 

It sounds like the vast majority of markets are seeing good improvements. I definitely view these results as positive overall. 

• Like 7

By this report band 26 should perform better but I dont see it. Was surprised to see this though. Proves that HPUE likely works.

Sent from my SM-G977P using Tapatalk

It depends on the market. In Pittsburgh and other cities, I rarely see B26, and when I do, it performs well. I think in less urban areas there is higher B26 usage, but urban areas account for a majority of traffic. So that will affect the % of traffic on B26 in total.

On the other hand, there are some cities where Sprint is lacking. The Bay area (SF, Oakland, Berkeley) doesn't have sufficient density for the topography, despite having a ton of sites. I'll be on B25 or B26 a lot, and it can be painfully slow. Even B41 gets congested, due to only 2 carriers on most sites (and only 2xCA on ones that do. Non contig B41 spectrum there).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It depends on the market. In Pittsburgh and other cities, I rarely see B26, and when I do, it performs well. I think in less urban areas there is higher B26 usage, but urban areas account for a majority of traffic. So that will affect the % of traffic on B26 in total.

On the other hand, there are some cities where Sprint is lacking. The Bay area (SF, Oakland, Berkeley) doesn't have sufficient density for the topography, despite having a ton of sites. I'll be on B25 or B26 a lot, and it can be painfully slow. Even B41 gets congested, due to only 2 carriers on most sites (and only 2xCA on ones that do. Non contig B41 spectrum there).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sprint has plenty of tricks in its arsenal to do more with the network and alot of it doesnt cost much at all being mostly software upgrades.

On 9/21/2019 at 9:21 AM, Terrell352 said:

Sprint has plenty of tricks in its arsenal to do more with the network and alot of it doesnt cost much at all being mostly software upgrades.

True, but SF is a case of AT&T sabotage (they bought a key EBS license to block 3CA).

4 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Att bought B41?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Yes.  I would pull it up for you but FCC is down:

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp

Message from the NSAPI plugin:

No backend server available for connection: timed out after 10 seconds or idempotent set to OFF.

Build date/time: Apr 18 2009 11:34:46

Change Number: 1211636

Yes.  I would pull it up for you but FCC is down:
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp

Message from the NSAPI plugin:

No backend server available for connection: timed out after 10 seconds or idempotent set to OFF.

Build date/time: Apr 18 2009 11:34:46

Change Number: 1211636
They plan to deploy it?

This maybe a simple question. 

I traveled to Mount Rushmore this past weekend and there is almost no native Sprint coverage along I-90 in South Dakota. I was roaming on Verizon 90% of the time in South Dakota. 

On Sprint that shows Extended LTE and roaming on the phone. Does that mean I have 200 megs on roaming to use?

I traveled to Mount Rushmore this past weekend and there is almost no native Sprint coverage along I-90 in South Dakota. I was roaming on Verizon 90% of the time in South Dakota. 
On Sprint that shows Extended LTE and roaming on the phone. Does that mean I have 200 megs on roaming to use?
If your using Verizon then yes. It was 3G only right?

If your using Verizon then yes. It was 3G only right?

No TMobile roaming? That would be the best to have.

15 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

No TMobile roaming? That would be the best to have.

Well I didn't look at the phone much when I was driving. But I was able to stream music and use GPS.

Where I was staying I looked several times and never noticed TMobile. Was always Verizon. Heck even had coverage at Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse on Verizon.

Once I passed Sioux Falls Sprint was done and Verizon the rest of the way.

2 hours ago, mnjeepmale said:

Sprint does not have an LTE roaming agreement with Verizon. You were roaming on T-Mobile/AT&T LTE while maintaining a Verizon 1x connection for voice. 

AT&T LTE/UMTS usage counts towards your 200mb limit. T-Mobile LTE roaming is unlimited. 

1 hour ago, Brad The Beast said:

Reported AT&T HSPA roaming for voice calls. HSPA+ roaming for data while on a call. 

Yes, I've roamed on AT&T UMTS to place voice calls in rural Nevada. I believe this was first reported early this year. 

• Like 2