Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

OK, I have no idea what they'r talking about but supposedly Altice's 19,000 small cells in the Long Island area have not improved Sprin't's performance:

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/altice-s-19-000-small-cells-long-island-don-t-help-sprint-s-network-much-say-analysts

• Sad 1

OK, I have no idea what they'r talking about but supposedly Altice's 19,000 small cells in the Long Island area have not improved Sprin't's performance:

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/altice-s-19-000-small-cells-long-island-don-t-help-sprint-s-network-much-say-analysts

Very harsh

The network is disappointing,” wrote the New Street analysts. “Based on the Tutela data and our own speed tests, it doesn’t seem like the deployment of 19,000 small cells has improved Sprint’s network much. There is little evidence of improvement year over year; Sprint’s network in Long Island appears worse than in the rest of the country, and Sprint still lags the other national carriers in Long Island.”

I think what happened year over year a good amount of these small cells had already been rolled out.... so, the few more added In the years time frame didn’t help improve the network much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Considering Sprint disclosed in the last earnings report that it has around 35,000 strand mounts or small cells deployed nationwide, I’m quite surprised that 19,000 of them would be on Long Island.

Has the deployment of small cells or strand mounts helped in other markets?

Considering Sprint disclosed in the last earnings report that it has around 35,000 strand mounts or small cells deployed nationwide, I’m quite surprised that 19,000 of them would be on Long Island.

Would you consider that in itself a disappointment?

Would you consider that in itself a disappointment?

Better not that's a good thing. It's also smart as they are cheaper,faster and easier to deploy.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Has the deployment of small cells or strand mounts helped in other markets?

LOL no way in hell are there 19k small cells in LI alone.

Just to be clear, SC is no replacement for Macro sites. But despite that, small cells have been a huge help here in NYC which has one of the most dense deployments of SC at around a thousand according to their RF guys.

• Like 2

LOL no way in hell are there 19k small cells in LI alone.

Just to be clear, SC is no replacement for Macro sites. But despite that, small cells have been a huge help here in NYC which has one of the most dense deployments of SC at around a thousand according to their RF guys.

How so? Vzws densification has been Small cells all over the place vs Marco sites. They can cover places Macro sites can not.

25 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

How so? Vzws densification has been Small cells all over the place vs Marco sites. They can cover places Macro sites can not.

My point is, as many have pointed out in the past, that in order for small cells to be effective they need a healthy dose of Macro sites to compliment them.

My point is, as many have pointed out in the past, that in order for small cells to be effective they need a healthy dose of Macro sites to compliment them.
That's true which Sprint doesn't have. Vzw does.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/06/softbank-ceo-says-after-wework-there-will-be-no-rescue-investments.html

"SoftBank will make “no investment for the purpose of rescue,” Son told investors on Wednesday, after the Japanese conglomerate reported its first quarterly loss in 14 years. He said portfolio companies must be “self-financing,” and “that’s something that I would like to clearly extend my message to you.”

Remember when Mayoshi Son was worried Sprint would weigh down Softbank's share price?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/06/softbank-ceo-says-after-wework-there-will-be-no-rescue-investments.html

"SoftBank will make “no investment for the purpose of rescue,” Son told investors on Wednesday, after the Japanese conglomerate reported its first quarterly loss in 14 years. He said portfolio companies must be “self-financing,” and “that’s something that I would like to clearly extend my message to you.”

Remember when Mayoshi Son was worried Sprint would weigh down Softbank's share price?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

F dude. I’d laugh if everything in his portfolio is losing him money. I’m kinda on the fence with him being apart of The New T-Mobile. He’s kinda left a bad taste in my mouth after this Sprint debacle(everyone connected to it too). I’d give my money to Verizon. However, we shall see how much say he has.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, derrph said:

F dude. I’d laugh if everything in his portfolio is losing him money. I’m kinda on the fence with him being apart of The New T-Mobile. He’s kinda left a bad taste in my mouth after this Sprint debacle(everyone connected to it too). I’d give my money to Verizon. However, we shall see how much say he has.

Hopefully not much.   He used a company strip approach, the way a car gets stolen and stripped.    Came in,  bought the majority stake in the company... cut costs with a plan from the first moment to unload Sprint at a profit (ie... sell it and merge with someone quickly).   Sprint has suffered from a string of bad owners/ lousy top management for quite some time.     As I've said before, I hope and wish they (old Sprint management) are all gone come the actual Day 1 of New T Mobile.      

Edited by dro1984

16 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

Small cells, while beneficial, seem like a sunk cost that was done for short-sighted budgetary reasons. I may be mistaken, but I recall these small cells being limited to 2xCA. I don’t believe they are upgradable to 5G either, as my understanding is that 5G is limited to Massive MIMO sites.

Sprint doesn’t have that healthy dose of macro cells. These sites were put in as a band aid so that Marcelo could say that he was doing something, but this was all part of his bare minimum to nothing Network strategy for quite some time.

It's been my experience more often lately as well.   I can have 4 or even 5 bars and data is so slow or won't even connect, time out.      Congestion?   Not sure what the problem is??
I've been experiencing this problem myself frequently!
Have you been experiencing this indoors? Band 26 fills up quickly it seems, especially in high density indoor locations.
Personally I have noticed the problem both indoors and outdoors.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, dro1984 said:

Hopefully not much.   He used a company strip approach, the way a car gets stolen and stripped.    Came in,  bought the majority stake in the company... cut costs with a plan from the first moment to unload Sprint at a profit (ie... sell it and merge with someone quickly).   Sprint has suffered from a string of bad owners/ lousy top management for quite some time.     As I've said before, I hope and wish they (old Sprint management) are all gone come the actual Day 1 of New T Mobile.      

Early on he did invest some money directly into Sprint.  With out it Sprint would have went bankrupt at that time.  Various financial methods and tech tech sharing (tiger teams, etc) as well.   Just not the sugar daddy we all hoped for.  Much easier to raise money for mergers than ongoing failing operations.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2019 at 8:13 AM, RedSpark said:

Small cells, while beneficial, seem like a sunk cost that was done for short-sighted budgetary reasons. I may be mistaken, but I recall these small cells being limited to 2xCA. I don’t believe they are upgradable to 5G either, as my understanding is that 5G is limited to Massive MIMO sites.

Sprint doesn’t have that healthy dose of macro cells. These sites were put in as a band aid so that Marcelo could say that he was doing something, but this was all part of his bare minimum to nothing Network strategy for quite some time.

Massive MIMOs can actually eliminate the need for small cells in some circumstances.  Both are often used to fill in RF shadows.  In a few cases small cells have been used to fill in coverage gaps.  This is of limited value since they are not on the main B41 frequency thus it might take the phone 15 minutes to find them. 

My guess is Sprint small cells also might not be found by drive based tests like root metrics.  Better suited for eating at restaurants, hospital stays, big box stores, office buildings, etc where you will be there for a while.  Once your phone spots them, it is much easier to reconnect. 

Of course more low band would also have eliminated these RF shadows in many cases.  Don't forget that small cells help offload macro sites.  In talking with various system integrators of other providers, the key issue for Sprint is lack of backhaul.  Sprint has more macro sites than T-Mobile in some markets yet does worse in tests with fewer customers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

This guy examples Detroit style.

I'm from Detroit!   LOL.   Look out!  😉  I work for an Auto company too.  I watched newly stolen cars roll down a side street on fire with nobody in them... (crashed and burned with remnants of ATM machine parts strapped to them trailing behind)...    Roaming Bonfire!       Carry on.... 

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

I'm from Detroit!   LOL.   Look out!  😉  I work for an Auto company too.  I watched newly stolen cars roll down a side street on fire with nobody in them... (crashed and burned with remnants of ATM machine parts strapped to them trailing behind)...    Roaming Bonfire!       Carry on.... 

You paint quite a vivid visual.  One of the best posts on this site, ever.  Carry on...

Robert

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Early on he did invest some money directly into Sprint.  With out it Sprint would have went bankrupt at that time.  Various financial methods and tech tech sharing (tiger teams, etc) as well.   Just not the sugar daddy we all hoped for.  Much easier to raise money for mergers than ongoing failing operations.

I'm just stunned that Masa was willing to blow so much money on other investments (some of which imploded) when he essentially hobbled and devalued his Sprint investment without adequate capitalization.

• Like 1