Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Before anyone else wants to go hop on the 5G band wagon again why Sprint should start trials. Verizon just put 5G in perspective saying it's about fixed internet structure, not mobility.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

This is the ultimate goal of 5G.

In no universe will anyone in the current time period of HD video need 7-10Gbps of downstream, it's simply overkill. In the future? Maybe. But not now.

7-10Gbps however challenges wireline ISPs nationwide. The average Internet speed in the US is 11.9Mbps in the entire nation, and right now LTE networks are starting to overshadow this average. 5G will allow carriers to jump leaps and bounds ahead of ISPs, and thanks to small cells, LTE Relay, and the large 1GHz mmW chunks they expect to use, carriers could potentially promise customers 100Mbps minimum speeds in every neighborhood, higher if they can deliver small cells in a block by block strategy.

This allows the carriers to opt for a new WISP method of generating revenue. This is why Verizon is lowering focus on FiOS - yes they're building out in Boston, but how are we sure that isn't just to make sure they can keep backhaul cheap for their 5G rollout? They said themselves they're gonna focus more on wireless. Their endgame is to provide a killer 5G network to kill the more traditional ISPs and steal revenue.

The future is fast, and the future is wild.

• Like 5

http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-review-sprint?utm_medium=superfeature&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=ac pretty positive article, the comments are actually decent too

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Finally some acknowledgement from the mobile community.

Funny thing is I had a back and fourth with Andrew about how his previous experience was not indicative of all places Sprint covered. But he insisted that it was.

Nice to see Sprint prove themselves.

• Like 2

Finally some acknowledgement from the mobile community.

Funny thing is I had a back and fourth with Andrew about how his previous experience was not indicative of all places Sprint covered. But he insisted that it was.

Nice to see Sprint prove themselves.

Sprint has come a long way, from my own personal experience and from others. Every carrier has their bad areas, when I joined Sprint back in 2013 I wasn't overly impressed, but I saw the improvements first hand and I love the network now. I have zero complaints, just as good if not better than the other 3 around here. And I only see it improving.

• Like 2

Is that Andrew Martonik? My have the tables turned. That guy used to be one of the greatest Sprint haters about 2 years ago.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Exactly, it's fine to give your anecdotal experience, but to dismiss the carrier entirely based on a small location is definitely not right.

But boy your right, have the tables turned.

• Like 4

http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-review-sprint?utm_medium=superfeature&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=ac pretty positive article, the comments are actually decent too

I liked reading that article. This is what Sprint needs, more phone reviews but also tied into network performance. Though they didn't have the fastest speeds in that review it was very consistent and reliable which is telling. I think that people don't care too much about having the fastest speeds as long as the network is reliable and consistent.
  • Like 8

I understand Sprint is moving fast to 3x carrier aggregation, but the sooner the better. Sprint being the first carrier in the US to have 200 to 300 megabits down helps a lot in the PR and images department.

• Like 2

I understand Sprint is moving fast to 3x carrier aggregation, but the sooner the better. Sprint being the first carrier in the US to have 200 to 300 megabits down helps a lot in the PR and images department.

While 200-300Mbps would be a definitely good bicep flex for them, they need to focus on putting small cells everywhere to give everyone ubiquitous 200-300Mbps. 300Mbps on one block in NYC does not forgive 2-3Mbps on another.

• Like 6

Is that Andrew Martonik? My have the tables turned. That guy used to be one of the greatest Sprint haters about 2 years ago.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I don't see it as people always being haters just because Sprint may not work well in their hood. Sprint roams to Verizon 1X in my home town ever since the last Alltel property in Southern Illinois went over to AT&T. AT&T shut down the old CDMA network that provided out of town guests EV-DO. AT&T'S CDMA obligations ended June 30, 2015 but in a lot of places the CDMA network got thinned out and stopped working even before that. If I were just judging this based on my own perception I'd perceive Sprint to be very bad. That said, it does get tiresome to explain to the out of towners why Sprint is bad here. Everyone else, even T-Mobile, has working LTE here. If I bring up Sprint around any of my friends they look at it as substandard and the worst of the worst. It isn't like I can pull out a Sprint phone and go all Speed Test on them to prove Sprint superiority. Nor can I cite coverage. Not even AT&T had that here for a long time. In AT&T'S case it took peeling off the last of the floating Alltels out here.

I imagine that if not for S4GRU I'd probably not think about Sprint that much to be honest.

At least the cities are showing improvement network wise. That said I think finances, marketing, plans and customer care all need a lot of constructive feedback.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I don't see it as people always being haters just because Sprint may not work well in their hood. Sprint roams to Verizon 1X in my home town ever since the last Alltel property in Southern Illinois went over to AT&T. AT&T shut down the old CDMA network that provided out of town guests EV-DO. AT&T'S CDMA obligations ended June 30, 2015 but in a lot of places the CDMA network got thinned out and stopped working even before that. If I were just judging this based on my own perception I'd perceive Sprint to be very bad. That said, it does get tiresome to explain to the out of towners why Sprint is bad here. Everyone else, even T-Mobile, has working LTE here. If I bring up Sprint around any of my friends they look at it as substandard and the worst of the worst. It isn't like I can pull out a Sprint phone and go all Speed Test on them to prove Sprint superiority. Nor can I cite coverage. Not even AT&T had that here for a long time. In AT&T'S case it took peeling off the last of the floating Alltels out here.

I imagine that if not for S4GRU I'd probably not think about Sprint that much to be honest.

At least the cities are showing improvement network wise. That said I think finances, marketing, plans and customer care all need a lot of constructive feedback.

Where is that?

I said he was a Sprint hater because he was one of those people who was quick to push their experience onto everyone else. He complained, I told him I understand and they're probably working on it, he said no. I told him that Sprint works in my area, he thought I was lying because it sucked for him. If I could go back and find the post where I had that argument with him, you can see how irrational he was being at the time. 

You can have a bad experience with a company and still have a rational argument but if you're just going to be dismissive of others' good experience just because of your bad then what's the point?

• Like 1

Chester, IL.

What explains the little islands of Sprint coverage around Chester, IL on the Sprint Coverage Map? Do those represent single cell sites?

Are there plans to expand coverage in this area through Project Ocean?

What explains the little islands of Sprint coverage around Chester, IL on the Sprint Coverage Map? Do those represent single cell sites?

Are there plans to expand coverage in this area through Project Ocean?

Not sure what you are referring to? I don't see anything I would call islands of coverage. 

Not sure what you are referring to? I don't see anything I would call islands of coverage. 

Away from the main city center of St. Louis, etc., you see little dots of coverage here and there in the middle of off-network roaming.

Away from the main city center of St. Louis, etc., you see little dots of coverage here and there in the middle of off-network roaming.

I see one spot, but I don't see lots of isolated coverage. If you could screenshot what you're talking about, it might help. You may just be seeing RF artifacts on the mapping. There aren't really any islands of coverage, every site generally contributes to a larger area of coverage. 

While 200-300Mbps would be a definitely good bicep flex for them, they need to focus on putting small cells everywhere to give everyone ubiquitous 200-300Mbps. 300Mbps on one block in NYC does not forgive 2-3Mbps on another.

I tend to think that people wouldn't care if they dropped to 2-3 Mbps since all functions of their phone would work the same including Hugh definition videos. My problem, and the reason I left Sprint, was that it would drop from 100 Mbps to unusable speeds or no signal through Orange County. No signals on the main thoroughfares is unacceptable. And then when I would report it they would respond that everything looks good on their side and to check my phone. I knew it wasn't the phone so that just frustrated me.
  • Like 2

I said he was a Sprint hater because he was one of those people who was quick to push their experience onto everyone else. He complained, I told him I understand and they're probably working on it, he said no. I told him that Sprint works in my area, he thought I was lying because it sucked for him. If I could go back and find the post where I had that argument with him, you can see how irrational he was being at the time. 

You can have a bad experience with a company and still have a rational argument but if you're just going to be dismissive of others' good experience just because of your bad then what's the point?

I agree with this. I'm normally a lurker on this awesome site, but I remember a post by Martonik from more than a year ago. 

Hater or not, he was completely wrong. He was cluelessly talking trash about Sprint Spark speeds in Seattle. In his 7/23/14 post, he claims that Spark had been announced in Seattle over a month prior. In fact, Sprint would not announce Seattle as a Spark market for at least 3 more months.

Here's a tech writer, Andrew Martonik, who is totally wrong on his facts but continues to argue like a diva from his position of ignorance. He's also condescending to his readers while feigning offense that his readers dare question his knowledge of wireless networks.

Not surprisingly, he's taken the post down. I probably would too if I looked as foolish as him getting clowned by his readers.

(Please excuse me if I'm not posting these images properly. I would just post a link if he hadn't taken it down. I can edit if I did it wrong as the other options said I couldn't use that extension.)

Sprint_Martonik_page_001.jpg

Sprint_Martonik_page_002.jpg

Sprint_Martonik_page_003.jpg

Sprint_Martonik_page_004.jpg

Sprint_Martonik_page_005.jpg

Edited by bman10
  • Like 1

I tend to think that people wouldn't care if they dropped to 2-3 Mbps since all functions of their phone would work the same including Hugh definition videos. My problem, and the reason I left Sprint, was that it would drop from 100 Mbps to unusable speeds or no signal through Orange County. No signals on the main thoroughfares is unacceptable. And then when I would report it they would respond that everything looks good on their side and to check my phone. I knew it wasn't the phone so that just frustrated me.

2-3Mbps is usually associated with a higher latency which messes things up. I can't properly watch a periscope at 2-3Mbps, even Netflix goes through hell at 2-3Mbps. Furthermore, it's not exactly acceptable. A minimum of 15Mbps everywhere w 50ms ping - perfect

• Like 2

2-3Mbps is usually associated with a higher latency which messes things up. I can't properly watch a periscope at 2-3Mbps, even Netflix goes through hell at 2-3Mbps. Furthermore, it's not exactly acceptable. A minimum of 15Mbps everywhere w 50ms ping - perfect

You find it not acceptable, others may find it acceptable. Great thing is you have choices.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I routinely watch video (netflix, YouTube etc) every day on lunch break with only an evdo connection. 2-3mbps IS acceptable for almost anything we do on our phones.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My wife went to Chattanooga this weekend and had band 41. She didn't know what to do with proof and such or even checking for two carriers, but she took a screenshot of signal pro showing band 41. Not sure if this is already known

My wife went to Chattanooga this weekend and had band 41. She didn't know what to do with proof and such or even checking for two carriers, but she took a screenshot of signal pro showing band 41. Not sure if this is already known

Chattanooga is blanketed with Band 41