Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Customers ranting on Facebook do NOT reflect a representative sample of any company's customer base or their concerns.

It is not a representative of a a company's customer base as long as you don't have similar company to compare to.  In this case, if you go to Tmobile, Verizon or Att's facebook, they have a lot less unhappy customers unless these companies were able to delete those complaints.  I don't think they can only Facebook can.  

• Like 1

It is not a representative of a a company's customer base as long as you don't have similar company to compare to.  In this case, if you go to Tmobile, Verizon or Att's facebook, they have a lot less unhappy customers unless these companies were able to delete those complaints.  I don't think they can only Facebook can.  

Really? I see tons of complaints about all the carriers on Facebook. Go to Verizon and you see A LOT of billing complaints. Go to AT&T and you see dropped call complains and billing complaints. Go to T-Mobile and you see tons of complaints about slow service, problems with the bill, and coverage. Seems like they all have their issues. Yes Sprint has a lot of complaints too.

• Like 3

Sorry but if Sprint decides to call whatever flavor of LTE Plus as 5G they'll be a laughing stock.  They'll call it WIMAX 5G or whatever.

Even though no one needs speeds even above 1 carrier B41...

Hey, AT&T called their HSPA+ 4G. So why not calling LTE Advanced 5G. 

Really? I see tons of complaints about all the carriers on Facebook. Go to Verizon and you see A LOT of billing complaints. Go to AT&T and you see dropped call complains and billing complaints. Go to T-Mobile and you see tons of complaints about slow service, problems with the bill, and coverage. Seems like they all have their issues. Yes Sprint has a lot of complaints too.

The issue is Facebook itself, not a comparison between the different carriers on Facebook. The user that feels the need to complain on Facebook is not the typical customer. That's like saying that political caucus participants represent the typical voter.
  • Like 1

The issue is Facebook itself, not a comparison between the different carriers on Facebook. The user that feels the need to complain on Facebook is not the typical customer. That's like saying that political caucus participants represent the typical voter.

That is the point I was trying to make. People are far more likely to tell you about their negative experience than their positive experience. I have never really seen someone post "OMG I just LOVE paying my cell phone bill each month! The service is totally amazing".

• Like 1

So when should it be called 5G?

This isn't just about speeds. It's about capacity.

I guess when they ratify actual 5G standards and the equipment is developed and released. We probably will see some some trickle down of some of the technologies and as lte continues to develop we may see a '4.5G' service passed off as 5g. Tmobile did it with hspda, it wasn't really 4g, it was 3.5G with plenty of spectrum thrown at it. There's technology and there's marketing, one needs advanced degrees and talent, the other requires $20 coffees, a Prius and pretentious glasses with little rectangular lenses. One should be lauded and the other should result in mandatory drowning, sadly society seems to have it the wrong way round.

I'm personally not a huge fan of focus groups. As far as sample sizes go, they are extremely small. What I'd love to see is Sprint's polling of their own customers and tracking of customer satisfaction over time. It would be interesting to see if or what the uptick of it is under Claure.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm personally not a huge fan of focus groups. As far as sample sizes go, they are extremely small. What I'd love to see is Sprint's polling of their own customers and tracking of customer satisfaction over time. It would be interesting to see if or what the uptick of it is under Claure.

They're tracking NPS currently. I'm sure they are benchmarking against industry, too.

• Like 2

Some big news for NYC Today:

Sprint Launches LTE Plus in New York City

• LTE Plus is now available in 191 Markets
  • Since the beginning of the year, Sprint doubled the speed and capacity of more than 900 2.5GHz cell sites across the New York Metropolitan Area with the deployment of two-channel carrier aggregation.
  • According to Sprint’s analysis of Nielsen Mobile Performance data, Sprint now delivers the fastest LTE download speeds in New York.
  • Within the past six months, Sprint has added or upgraded service at several popular locations such as Rockefeller Center, the 9/11 Memorial, Jacob Javits Center, JFK International Airport, and The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.
  • Sprint continues to lead with more stations on air to-date than any other carrier. Sprint is contracted to complete all seven phases of 279 underground stations in the New York City subway project. Sprint will be deploying 4G LTE to all underground stations and service will be ready for customers in 2017.

Also, see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1G-lZgVjjc

Great job Sprint!

• Like 10

Some big news for NYC Today:

Sprint Launches LTE Plus in New York City

• LTE Plus is now available in 191 Markets
  • Since the beginning of the year, Sprint doubled the speed and capacity of more than 900 2.5GHz cell sites across the New York Metropolitan Area with the deployment of two-channel carrier aggregation.
  • According to Sprint’s analysis of Nielsen Mobile Performance data, Sprint now delivers the fastest LTE download speeds in New York.
  • Within the past six months, Sprint has added or upgraded service at several popular locations such as Rockefeller Center, the 9/11 Memorial, Jacob Javits Center, JFK International Airport, and The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.
  • Sprint continues to lead with more stations on air to-date than any other carrier. Sprint is contracted to complete all seven phases of 279 underground stations in the New York City subway project. Sprint will be deploying 4G LTE to all underground stations and service will be ready for customers in 2017.

Also, see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1G-lZgVjjc

Great job Sprint!

Actually this is not as big of a news as you think.  It might be negative from an investor's standpoint.  When I first read it, I thought the article mentioned 900 small cell site was added in New York city.  The initial exuberance was immediately disconnected as soon as I found out that is not the case.  Pretty much everything in the article is old news.  From investor's standpoint, if it is old news it is best not to reiterate it especially when they are expecting something else.  

Actually this is not as big of a news as you think. It might be negative from an investor's standpoint. When I first read it, I thought the article mentioned 900 small cell site was added in New York city. The initial exuberance was immediately disconnected as soon as I found out that is not the case. Pretty much everything in the article is old news. From investor's standpoint, if it is old news it is best not to reiterate it especially when they are expecting something else.

Old news? Sprint went from probably averaging 2-3mbs to nearly 10x that in a matter of weeks (ID say about a month and a half ago they started deploying CA)

So no, this is not old news, and yes Sprint being the fastest in the biggest city in the world (Verizon's home turf, which they have invested an insane amount of money) is kindof a big deal.

• Like 10

Actually this is not as big of a news as you think.  It might be negative from an investor's standpoint.  When I first read it, I thought the article mentioned 900 small cell site was added in New York city.  The initial exuberance was immediately disconnected as soon as I found out that is not the case.  Pretty much everything in the article is old news.  From investor's standpoint, if it is old news it is best not to reiterate it especially when they are expecting something else.  

This isn't old news. Sprint is now outperforming the other carriers in NYC, and it only gets better from here when 3xCA goes live. Hopefully the iPhone 7 has 3xCA so Sprint can easily migrate all those people on iPhone Forever to it.

• Like 1

Most news sprint puts out about it's network is going to be old news if you follow this site. That is why everyone gets so excited before a conference call then are let down by "old news".  Like the next big Shentel call will probably focus on the new sites and new B41 but if you read here then that is not really big news.

It is just more of a confirmation.

• Like 1

Maybe old news is wrong wording. Investors already expected that the least Sprint can do for its network is carrier aggregation because that requires little spending and time. What they really expect is small cells expansion because that costs money. And so far they see little progress in this area and rightfully so they believe that Sprint is cash constrained and even SoftBank is not willing to approve those capital expenditure. 2 things that will immediately restore investors confidence: SoftBank announce bidding for auction and or sprint post something like 5000 small cells already up and running.

Maybe old news is wrong wording. Investors already expected that the least Sprint can do for its network is carrier aggregation because that requires little spending and time. What they really expect is small cells expansion because that costs money. And so far they see little progress in this area and rightfully so they believe that Sprint is cash constrained and even SoftBank is not willing to approve those capital expenditure. 2 things that will immediately restore investors confidence: SoftBank announce bidding for auction and or sprint post something like 5000 small cells already up and running.

See this article from December 1, 2015: New York prepares for surge in small cell deployments

New York City is preparing to solicit bids for new city streetlight poles that can accommodate more small cells, hoping to capture carrier spending before mobile operators lose patience with the city and turn to commercial property owners to secure sites. More than 2,200 cells have already been deployed in New York, and the city’s senior wireless strategist has another 8,800 applications on his desk from carriers and from systems integrators like Crown Castle, ExteNet Systems and Mobilitie.

“Just Sprint alone, in New York City, wants over 2,000 new small cells in an 18-month period, and in order for them to do that they are going to have to look at the use of locations at which they may have to place small cell equipment in multi-tenant type structures,” explained city wireless strategist Alphonso Jenkins, deputy commissioner for telecommunications planning.

If there weren't already some small cells in NYC, then Sprint users there wouldn't be seeing speed improvements. That said there is still a lot of work that needs to be done.

• Like 2

Here's the presentation where Sprint's VP of network planning was talking. Also note Stephen Bye is now CTO of CSPIRE.

I was thinking the same thing. They're probably there in some places but we just don't know where to look yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Have you looked at site permits with the city of New York? That would be a good place to start.

• Like 1

Have you looked at site permits with the city of New York? That would be a good place to start.

I don't think a lot of that permit information is publicly available. 

• Like 1

I don't think a lot of that permit information is publicly available.

There is a section of new York permitting specifically for telecommunications so yes it'd publicly available.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 3