Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

What's the big thing about US Cellular? T-Mobile users want it and Sprint users want the roaming agreement. Is there something I'm missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of new roaming coverage throughout the U.S. for LTE in areas where we know Sprint likely won't build out natively for a long time.

A lot of new roaming coverage throughout the U.S. for LTE in areas where we know Sprint likely won't build out natively for a long time.

I looked at their map and it wasn't crazy. So will the roaming be considered native coverage?

I wonder what the cost to Sprint the roaming charges will be billed to Sprint by US Cellular. If it is anything high like what I've heard other carriers charge them, then I think it would just be better for Sprint to try acquiring US Cellular.

I know how roaming is a nice convenience for Sprint customers, but is it really that important to have it in spite of all these mass layoffs, health benefits being cut, etc. to its employees? I'm talking serious things here, not just perks like free snacks and yogurt. Although all of these things being taken away from Sprint employees while other carriers, even T-Mobile includes them.

This considering how much of a cutback John Legere is.

• Like 1

I looked at their map and it wasn't crazy. So will the roaming be considered native coverage?

My guess is, it'll just be taken from your roaming quota. However, the gains in coverage are impressive considering that in nearly all of the areas U.S. Cellular serves, there is no Sprint presence currently. It's not like one will be on their network 24/7 though. It'll just be good for those times you're out in the boonies and want to browse the web lightly or upload a photo on Instagram.

• Like 2

I wonder what the cost to Sprint the roaming charges will be billed to Sprint by US Cellular. If it is anything high like what I've heard other carriers charge them, then I think it would just be better for Sprint to try acquiring US Cellular.

I know how roaming is a nice convenience for Sprint customers, but is it really that important to have it in spite of all these mass layoffs, health benefits being cut, etc. to its employees? I'm talking serious things here, not just perks like free snacks and yogurt. Although all of these things being taken away from Sprint employees while other carriers, even T-Mobile includes them.

One thing is for certain, they aren't charging nearly as much as Verizon. And we know it'll be reciprocal so that should drive the price down even further. 

And in short, yes roaming is necessary. There is simply no getting around it. It'll be around for a long time. Even Verizon has roaming partners.

• Like 2

But isn't there a reciprocal benefit to USCC by gaining access to Sprint network as well?
  • Like 1

I definitely do not doubt the benefit of roaming for customers. I completely understand that.

The problem with it though, is how costly it is to carriers. Verizon can afford it, because they charge so much to customers for data, overages, etc. However, carriers such as Sprint and T-Mobile have to pass along the buck somewhere, and it isn't to customers. T-Mobile doesn't have in-network roaming and they used the failed merger with AT&T to ensure somewhat reasonable roaming rates for some time which partly and likely is why T-Mobile is so busy expanding their coverage.

Sprint however and unfortunately so, apparently isn't doing so well, at least according to much of the media. There are alot of important cutbacks to employees healthcare I've been reading about, and am wondering if perhaps it would be better for Sprint to cutback on roaming costs to maintain employee morale and perhaps use the extra cash expanding coverage in the NGN project both in-network coverage and expanding it replacing roaming.

Or perhaps acquiring US Cellular. I support that idea just as much as I support the idea of Sprint acquiring T-Mobile.

• Like 1

But isn't there a reciprocal benefit to USCC by gaining access to Sprint network as well?

I agree with this. Although as I've mentioned before, I'd love for Sprint to outright acquire USCC. In my opinion, that would be a major benefit to USCC customers far more than roaming even, as Sprint, in my opinion, is a vastly superior company.

I had USCC a few times years ago back when they did business in the Chicago market, along with friends of mine who had them, and overall USCC was often worse dealing with than Comcast.

I definitely do not doubt the benefit of roaming for customers. I completely understand that.

The problem with it though, is how costly it is to carriers. Verizon can afford it, because they charge so much to customers for data, overages, etc. However, carriers such as Sprint and T-Mobile have to pass along the buck somewhere, and it isn't to customers. T-Mobile doesn't have in-network roaming and they used the failed merger with AT&T to ensure somewhat reasonable roaming rates for some time which partly and likely is why T-Mobile is so busy expanding their coverage.

Sprint however and unfortunately so, apparently isn't doing so well, at least according to much of the media. There are alot of important cutbacks to employees healthcare I've been reading about, and am wondering if perhaps it would be better for Sprint to cutback on roaming costs to maintain employee morale and perhaps use the extra cash expanding coverage in the NGN project both in-network coverage and expanding it replacing roaming.

Or perhaps acquiring US Cellular. I support that idea just as much as I support the idea of Sprint acquiring T-Mobile.

Personally I too support the idea of Sprint acquiring US Cellular.

Especially since both Sprint and US Cellular are CDMA.

• Like 2

Personally I too support the idea of Sprint acquiring US Cellular.

Especially since both Sprint and US Cellular are CDMA.

I'd also like it if Sprint got the other local/regional carriers I've read about here too. That certainly would help with the roaming costs.

• Like 2

Going to talk about job cuts and what's next for network in Tuesday's call

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/iduskcn0sq2j920151102?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5636e80204d3017ddc637018&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Now to think of it, I think it would be great if Sprint made a bid for USCC.  USCC has spectrum assets in various frequency classes and I think Sprint can definitely make use of the PCS spectrum. With the Cellular, 700 A, B and C (Lower), AWS spectrum, Sprint can use that spectrum as trade bait to Verizon, Tmobile and AT&T to acquire more PCS spectrum to expand some markets to 20x20.  Tmobile would be interested in the 700 A block, AT&T the 700 B and C (Lower) blocks, AT&T/Verizon the Cellular block and finally Verizon/Tmobile/AT&T interested in the AWS-1 spectrum.

• Like 3

Now to think of it, I think it would be great if Sprint made a bid for USCC. USCC has spectrum assets in various frequency classes and I think Sprint can definitely make use of the PCS spectrum and with the Cellular, 700 A, B and C (Lower), AWS spectrum, Sprint can use that spectrum as trade bait to Verizon, Tmobile and AT&T to acquire more PCS spectrum to expand some markets to 20x20. Tmobile would be interested in the 700 A block, AT&T the 700 B and C (Lower) blocks, AT&T/Verizon the Cellular block and finally Verizon/Tmobile/AT&T interested in the AWS-1 spectrum.

Very good ideas, Eric, which I agree with. Sprint just needs to try to make that right offer, then we'll see if USCC is sold to them or not. Although, I have no doubt it'll be sold to one of the major carriers eventually, as they have both the needs and the means to expand.

USCC doesn't have that. After all, USCC sold their major market here in Chicago. They obviously are not going to be able to become a national carrier, as they completely ruined their chances to do so years ago. The industry in the US is consolidating, where it makes no economic sense for a carrier to be paying roaming fees to other carriers, especially as native coverage becomes ever the more crucial to win over customers.

Small local/regional carriers simply do not have the economic scLle to grow into national carriers with the fiscal power to bid and gain meaningful spectrum for the kind of growth they need to survive long-term, which they need in order to become national carriers with very minimal or non-existant roaming, as the need for national in-network coverage is very important.

Small local/regional carriers simply do not have the economic scLle to grow into national carriers with the fiscal power to bid and gain meaningful spectrum for the kind of growth they need to survive long-term, which they need in order to become national carriers with very minimal or non-existant roaming, as the need for national in-network coverage is very important.

Do they actually need to become a national carrier to be a viable and profitable business? I'm not convinced they want to or need to become a national carrier to compete.

Now to think of it, I think it would be great if Sprint made a bid for USCC. USCC has spectrum assets in various frequency classes and I think Sprint can definitely make use of the PCS spectrum and with the Cellular, 700 A, B and C (Lower), AWS spectrum, Sprint can use that spectrum as trade bait to Verizon, Tmobile and AT&T to acquire more PCS spectrum to expand some markets to 20x20. Tmobile would be interested in the 700 A block, AT&T the 700 B and C (Lower) blocks, AT&T/Verizon the Cellular block and finally Verizon/Tmobile/AT&T interested in the AWS-1 spectrum.

As much as I would love to see it I am sure that it would get shot down unless the trades/swaps are part of the trade.

Sprint would get shot down due to having to much spectrum.

The others led by JL would be in DC crying

• Like 2

As much as I would love to see it I am sure that it would get shot down unless the trades/swaps are part of the trade.

Although I know the Carson family likely won't sell anytime soon, I don't think it would get shot down if Sprint were to try to merge with them. I think that if Sprint says they'll sell some of the spectrum or trade it then they wouldn't have that hard of a time getting it to go through. The only carriers capable of purchasing U.S. Cellular are T-Mobile and Sprint and I am very doubtful Sprint would let T-Mobile purchase them.

Do they actually need to become a national carrier to be a viable and profitable business? I'm not convinced they want to or need to become a national carrier to compete.

They don't need to be national, of course. But they do need strategic nationwide roaming agreements that are useful to their customers when they travel.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 3

I would hope that if Sprint were serious about engaging to buy USCC (assuming Carson family is willing to sell) that they would be smart enough to offer the spectrum swaps as a contingency on the deal to the DOJ and regulators.  Sprint does not need any Cellular, 700 A/B/C or AWS-1 spectrum.  Like I said in my last post, I would hope that it can be swapped with the other major carriers for more PCS spectrum which is better than cash.  Sprint's part of the deal from USCC would only consist of its PCS spectrum and its customers.

Why would JL be crying to DC?  Tmo claims they have the most spectrum per customer so that is blasphemous and not to mention that they will obtain even more spectrum at the 600 MHz auction.  They would just be shooting themselves in the foot here and lose the opportunity to obtain the low band 700 A blocks in the midwest that they wouldn't have be able to obtain otherwise if USCC was in charge or the AWS-1 spectrum.  If Sprint made no concession offers that would be one thing but that would just be silly for JL or any of the other major carriers if they were going to have a part of it in this too.

Sprint does not need any Cellular, 700 A/B/C or AWS-1 spectrum.  Like I said in my last post, I would hope that it can be swapped with the other major carriers for more PCS spectrum which is better than cash.  Sprint's part of the deal from USCC would only consist of its PCS spectrum and its customers.

Please don't say terrifying things like that.  In parts of its coverage area, US Cellular has ONLY CLR spectrum.  My parents have B5 LTE on their hotspot.  Obtain the customers but then leave them with no service until Sprint decides to rip and replace the US Cellular equipment?  As the only carrier in the area?  Sounds like a terrible idea, especially since CLR is technically part of B26 anyway.

- Trip

• Like 3

Although I know the Carson family likely won't sell  . . .

. . . assuming Carson family is willing to sell

Carlson. Carlson. Carlson. :D

Edit:  (Oh, goody!  I beat AJ by 3 minutes!!!)

• Like 7

It'd be nice, but the Carson family is not likely to sell...

Although I know the Carson family likely won't sell anytime soon...

I would hope that if Sprint were serious about engaging to buy USCC (assuming Carson family is willing to sell)...

Carlson, not Carson.  Carlson.

AJ

• Like 3