Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Me too. They were pretty mum on NGN. Hopefully the 2H 2015 and 1H 2016 RootMetrics results speak for themselves as Carrier Aggregation is deployed across the country.

Marcelo did say Sprint would be using non traditional vendors for deployment of NGN. Maybe that has something to do with the lack of detail (novel business plan/doesn't want to let competition know their hand)

• Like 3

I asked 3 different reps and received 3 different answers.

Sent from my Nexus 6

That's what I have been getting lately. Last year Sprint's call center customer service was good. They knew more and calls where answered in 3 mins or less. Now it takes 10 mins to get a rep and they don't know much. All of these Sprint plans and promotions have customer service confused. Sprint needs to simplify things a bit. Two global plans is not pointless, multiple types of family plans is confusing too.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just trade it in, get monthly credit, then use the money you saved on your monthly credit on the phone payment. Haha

That's a great idea I thought of that. I looked at my trade in value and Sprint will give me $280 for my Nexus 6.

Sent from my Nexus 6

That's a great idea I thought of that. I looked at my trade in value and Sprint will give me $280 for my Nexus 6.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Sheet.  I gotta check and see what my old phones will trade in for. LOL Maybe I can trade in my old HTC One M8.

• Like 1

That's the thing though. Your Nexus 6P is miles ahead of the Note edge in rf and they are not using a Nexus 6P.

While the Note Edge is not a top performer, we can't take the results and automatically blame the phone. Sprint did extremely well in Denver in the latest tests using the Note Edge. Some other markets were not as good. Salt Lake City was also very good.

It is the first CA handset.. I do hope that proper testing has been done with the firmware on it. First isn't always the best :)

Cough EVO LTE..

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have also noticed towers with 2 carriers not showing the extra speed benefit. 6 occasions to be exact. I will have my Nexus 5 and Note 5 and make sure CA is on the note yet speed is almost the same. I wonder if they are firing up CA on some sites with insufficient backhaul to support it? Seems likely.

I swear its network managing thing. I have been on upgraded towers, gotten and average 10-15 immediately done a retest and hit 80-100. It's almost as if the phone has to recognize it and switch to CA. But I have done this several times whereas my test show normal speeds then shoot up and stays there after .

I swear its network managing thing. I have been on upgraded towers, gotten and average 10-15 immediately done a retest and hit 80-100. It's almost as if the phone has to recognize it and switch to CA. But I have done this several times whereas my test show normal speeds then shoot up and stays there after .

It takes a few seconds before CA locks in. My Ookla Speedtest servers are usually much slower than sensorly or root metrics until I found an amazing local Ookla Speedtest server hosted by sonic.net which is still a bit slower but much closer in terms of results.

Sheet.  I gotta check and see what my old phones will trade in for. LOL Maybe I can trade in my old HTC One M8.

Just submitted a trade-in for 3 of my old phones. $125 for my old HTC One M8, $62.50 for my brother's broken GS5 and $25 for my old Galaxy S3! LOL

• Like 1

It takes a few seconds before CA locks in. My Ookla Speedtest servers are usually much slower than sensorly or root metrics until I found an amazing local Ookla Speedtest server hosted by sonic.net which is still a bit slower but much closer in terms of results.

I used all three and got similar results.

WiFi calling is not supported on every Sprint phone, and with more and more fully unlocked handsets available directly from the manufacturer I see more and more devices not supporting it unless Sprint manages to upgrade their WiFi calling to what is being included in aosp.

When LTE is weak, eCSFB can and does fail resulting in a missed call. It also prevents the current Airave from doing anything, handsets will not connect to it for calls (incoming or outgoing) if there is any LTE available.

It wasn't a problem until eCSFB handsets became the norm. It sucks having a call drop or not come through because I forgot to change the network mode on my phone when I get home. My nexus loves to hang onto a -123 to -125 B25 signal in my house.

The LTE femtocell is just the next evolution for in home calling solutions. No, its not necessary but it would be nice to have and could solve a lot of headaches with the device they currently issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Does T-Mobile have eCSFB problems? Because it's the T-Mobile device being discussed. 

If Sprint was releasing this device you would have a point.

If this device was purely for enhancing indoor service for call quality, I wouldn't have an issue.

But it provides an LTE connection, which could lead to problems. If there was a way to lock it down so random people can't hop onto your signal, that would help. I do not live in an apartment, I have a house, but WiFi signals are strong enough I can hop onto my neighbors WiFi no problem. Several neighbors in fact. They are locked down, but it doesn't sound like this device would be. And... if data use provided by your own internet connection didn't count against your data bucket, then I would have no objections.

Hopefully people are wise enough to use WiFi instead of leaving their device sitting on LTE, but I am afraid most are not.

I recognize Sprint's Airave functions similarly, but LTE invites excessive data use much more than EVDO does. 

• Like 1

Does T-Mobile have eCSFB problems? Because it's the T-Mobile device being discussed.

If Sprint was releasing this device you would have a point.

If this device was purely for enhancing indoor service for call quality, I wouldn't have an issue.

But it provides an LTE connection, which could lead to problems. If there was a way to lock it down so random people can't hop onto your signal, that would help. I do not live in an apartment, I have a house, but WiFi signals are strong enough I can hop onto my neighbors WiFi no problem. Several neighbors in fact. They are locked down, but it doesn't sound like this device would be. And... if data use provided by your own internet connection didn't count against your data bucket, then I would have no objections.

Hopefully people are wise enough to use WiFi instead of leaving their device sitting on LTE, but I am afraid most are not.

I recognize Sprint's Airave functions similarly, but LTE invites excessive data use much more than EVDO does.

This is the Sprint thread, not the T-Mobile one. I was discussing the reasons I believe the device will be successful and why Sprint should attempt to release a similar product for their own customers.

• Like 1

This is the Sprint thread, not the T-Mobile one. I was discussing the reasons I believe the device will be successful and why Sprint should attempt to release a similar product for their own customers.

This is the Sprint thread, but the discussion stemmed from a post about the T-Mobile device. I responded to your post about not understanding the backlash. So I assumed we continued to weigh the pros and cons of the T-Mobile device. It was not clear you were advocating for a similar Sprint one.

I left my Airave open at my parents house. Would consistently speed test 3G at 2Mbps. I don't see how LTE would invite "data abuse" for the most part. I guess if your neighbor was one of those prick 1TB a month users...lol.

• Like 1

I left my Airave open at my parents house. Would consistently speed test 3G at 2Mbps. I don't see how LTE would invite "data abuse" for the most part. I guess if your neighbor was one of those prick 1TB a month users...lol.

The LTE device from T-Mobile supposedly can get up to 60mbps.  If you have random strangers latch on (knowingly or unknowingly) and stream videos all day that can certainly have an affect on your home data speeds (unlesss you have Google Fiber or some other 1gbps solution).  Also some people unforunately have data caps.  AT&T Uverse and Comcast has data caps in some markets of 250-300gb/m.

• Like 1

AT&T.....et. al. has data caps..... in some markets of 250-300gb/m.

Try 150gb for DSL subs like myself. ENFORCED!!....but tell me why the Uverse 250gb cap is soft...people don't get enforced...only told they are going over. No extra 50gb for $10 packs (In August, AT&T said that I used 5x50gb packs from the 29th day of billing to the 30th day of billing)...

PSC Complaint ...no good. At least 100+ calls to AT&T..and every month it's the same...sh**....I'm so fed up with AT&T, but have NO choice in the matter. It's them, or nothing. $57.00/mo x 2...second DSL line never goes over 75gb/mo.

/end rant.....

I've had an airave since 2008. The past 3 years, I've had it opened up by tier 2 tech to 8,000sqft...

It's still hard to see signal from it at the end of my drive...but it does work well enough.. If it hadn't been for this, I would not be a Sprint customer, because back in 2008, I was a year into Sprint service, and over a 12 month period, I never used more than 50 minutes/month, no data,  and eventually  just shut my phone off at home (only had 1 line then). 7 years later, I have 5 phones, 3 tablets and an airave...and don't intend to leave even if the airave isn't in the mix.

I've had an airave since 2008. The past 3 years, I've had it opened up by tier 2 tech to 8,000sqft...

Sprint can increase the power/range of the AIRAVE upon request?

• Like 1

Sprint can increase the power/range of the AIRAVE upon request?

Yes, it takes calling into Airave tech and asking for Tier 2 to change the coverage area (if I remember right)...It's been 3 years since I did it, but i just know i had to call, start a ticket, then wait on them to do it and call me back I think.

start by calling airave tech and get the ball rolling. Took only about a day or 2 if I remember right.

• Like 1

I'm so fed up with AT&T, but have NO choice in the matter. It's them, or nothing. $57.00/mo x 2...second DSL line never goes over 75gb/mo.

Holy crap. I pay $29.99 (taxes included) for Verizon FiOS....50/50Mbps. I have that rate locked for 24 months. I guess I could see the reason to be concerns about wide open LTE service. For me, I'd be glad to fill in a coverage gap...but my house has 5 bars of T-Mobile LTE, so no reason for me to get one.

• Like 1

Yes, it takes calling into Airave tech and asking for Tier 2 to change the coverage area (if I remember right)...It's been 3 years since I did it, but i just know i had to call, start a ticket, then wait on them to do it and call me back I think.

start by calling airave tech and get the ball rolling. Took only about a day or 2 if I remember right.

Hummmm...well I might just have to contact Sprint myself to have that done.

The Airave that I have works, but it is kind of weak connection in several places in my house.

A stronger connection would be great.

• Like 1

Does this give a hint on how Sprint plans on carrying out network densification?  I'm speaking network wise, not cutting yogurt out and Uber rides for execs.  .    

http://www.forbes.com/sites/fredcampbell/2015/11/04/rather-than-invest-financially-strapped-sprint-asks-fcc-for-government-discount/

Edited by Calvin200

Does this give a hint on how Sprint plans on carrying out network densification?  I'm speaking network wise, not cutting yogurt out and Uber rides for execs.  .    

http://www.forbes.com/sites/fredcampbell/2015/11/04/rather-than-invest-financially-strapped-sprint-asks-fcc-for-government-discount/

Ha, that is a very poorly written article.  It takes selective quotes from the FCC filing, out of context, to make Sprint seem like a bad guy. 

I read this article and it feels like the writer came into the article not liking Sprint.

• Like 2

That guy is an uninformed assclown of a journalist. The issue Sprint has with these backhaul providers is that they are demanding retarded "cancellation" fees for what amounts to some crap tier t1 lines and so the financial cost to Sprint is huge. These companies are also frequently owned by competitors like AT&T and Verizon and Sprint views this as an abusive and unfair advantage. 

In terms of a business example: The building I work at used to be serviced by 5x T1 lines at a cost of over $1000/mo. EACH. A competitor in town built out fiber to our building and AT&T tried to demand that we pay a TRIPLE cost cancellation fee on the remainder of our time and when we refused and simply paid for fiber while also paying for the T1s they (AT&T) then tried to refuse to transfer our landline numbers over to the new servicer. So we went back and forth and eventually got local government involved to fix the situation and the STUPIDEST thing about it was that AT&T HAD FIBER AVAILABLE to the building (as we discovered during the process) but refused to let us change to that service because they made easy money off the T1s. The whole thing was completely asinine and if Sprint is dealing with anything like this it is a small wonder that backhaul is delayed.

• Like 15

That guy is an uninformed assclown of a journalist. The issue Sprint has with these backhaul providers is that they are demanding retarded "cancellation" fees for what amounts to some crap tier t1 lines and so the financial cost to Sprint is huge. These companies are also frequently owned by competitors like AT&T and Verizon and Sprint views this as an abusive and unfair advantage. 

In terms of a business example: The building I work at used to be serviced by 5x T1 lines at a cost of over $1000/mo. EACH. A competitor in town built out fiber to our building and AT&T tried to demand that we pay a TRIPLE cost cancellation fee on the remainder of our time and when we refused and simply paid for fiber while also paying for the T1s they (AT&T) then tried to refuse to transfer our landline numbers over to the new servicer. So we went back and forth and eventually got local government involved to fix the situation and the STUPIDEST thing about it was that AT&T HAD FIBER AVAILABLE to the building (as we discovered during the process) but refused to let us change to that service because they made easy money off the T1s. The whole thing was completely asinine and if Sprint is dealing with anything like this it is a small wonder that backhaul is delayed.

Well said. In my opinion, the most egregious thing the author did was say how T-Mobile built its own fiber network to the towers but not actually acknowledge why it did. Of course, acknowledging why T-Mobile did this would have undermined the whole premise of his article to begin with.

• Like 4