Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Anything that comes from Forbes cell network wise, I take with a grain of salt after discovering that they started a GSM MNVO operation of there own, world wide.

Oh? Which one is that?

Well said. In my opinion, the most egregious thing the author did was say how T-Mobile built its own fiber network to the towers but not actually acknowledge why it did. Of course, acknowledging why T-Mobile did this would have undermined the whole premise of his article to begin with.

What is the story on that? Why did they do it?

That was fast. I expected At&t to do it but Verizon now has the NFL & NBA. Was this a mistake for Sprint? We will see. http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/11/04/verizons-go90-service-will-get-live-nba-games-and-original-programming-thanks-to-new-sponsorship-deal/

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That was fast. I expected At&t to do it but Verizon now has the NFL & NBA. Was this a mistake for Sprint? We will see. http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/11/04/verizons-go90-service-will-get-live-nba-games-and-original-programming-thanks-to-new-sponsorship-deal/

I'm glad these sponsorships are coming to an end. They just seemed to have very little ROI, especially given the deficiencies in the legacy network. Hey, there's no coverage or slow speeds outdoors at this NASCAR event unless we bring a COW in, but let's plaster our name/logo everywhere for advertising. Same goes for indoor NBA arenas without good speed/coverage or DAS builds that supported Sprint's network. What's the point of plastering your logo everywhere during the half-time show or at the arena when the network isn't up to par?

Thankfully, this spending is being brought under control now. Run a commercial during the game or something, but that's all. Much better off putting it into the macro network or DAS builds like Kauffman Stadium:

With a seating capacity of 37,903, Sprint – a longtime sponsor of the hometown Royals – is the only wireless carrier serving The K with a DAS. Sprint’s extensive system provides voice and data service throughout the entire stadium utilizing all three of Sprint’s spectrum bands (1.9GHz, 2.5GHz and 800MHz).

and Levi's Stadium:

So even though the Levi’s Stadium DAS performed exceedingly well — according to Dutto “we turned it on and from day one it exceeded expectations” — and that there wasn’t any capacity problems during the Niners’ 2014 season, the expected impending crush coming in February spurred what Dutto called “carrier-driven upgrades” that included the need to take over some previous storage-room space to house the increased amount of head-end gear.

But even with new head end rooms and extras like under-seat DAS antennas (a new deployment method at Levi’s Stadium for DAS), 20-plus new antenna placements in the parking lot and the accommodation of new 2.5-GHz spectrum for Sprint, Dutto said that the new network was expected to be at least “90 percent complete” before the season’s start.

• Like 2

Hey did Sprint lose there Regal Cinemas sponsor?

I'm not in Sprint's marketing department, nor am I affiliated with Sprint in any other way than being a customer so I don't know how you expect me to know. I'm also not sure how your question pertains to the NBA deal. That said 10 seconds and google appear to confirm that Sprint is no longer advertising with Regal. Good for Sprint for dropping that too.

• Like 2

I'm not in Sprint's marketing department, nor am I affiliated with Sprint in any other way than being a customer so I don't know how you expect me to know. I'm also not sure how your question pertains to the NBA deal. That said 10 seconds and google appear to confirm that Sprint is no longer advertising with Regal. Good for Sprint for dropping that too.

So basically Sprint is dropping all sponsors.

• Like 3

Ha, that is a very poorly written article. It takes selective quotes from the FCC filing, out of context, to make Sprint seem like a bad guy.

I read this article and it feels like the writer came into the article not liking Sprint.

Sometimes, the truth stings a little.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well said. In my opinion, the most egregious thing the author did was say how T-Mobile built its own fiber network to the towers but not actually acknowledge why it did. Of course, acknowledging why T-Mobile did this would have undermined the whole premise of his article to begin with.

But if tmo did, why didn't Sprint.

Well Sports are a big business and Verizon has its own OTT video service. Which can monetize these deals where Sprint and TMO can't. So I don't see this as a bad thing for Sprint. If anything its a smart decision.

How long is the ND one in place? 

I can't find anything on length details. That said, I strongly suspect this one was due to Hesse being a ND alum.

2000px-University_of_North_Dakota_logo_-

AJ

• Like 1

So basically Sprint is dropping all sponsors.

We don't know that. What we do know is that they are backing away from throwing a bunch of money at major deals that left them with nothing to show for the outlay; something we've known for nearly a year with Nascar and nearly a half a year for the NBA.

• Like 4

We don't know that. What we do know is that they are backing away from throwing a bunch of money at major deals that left them with nothing to show for the outlay; something we've known for nearly a year with Nascar and nearly a half a year for the NBA.

Indeed: They were throwing tons of money away. What bothered me so much about these costly deals is that they were done in such a vacuum with no respect for ROI, no respect for the overall state of the legacy network and what needed to be done, and no seeming awareness of the mass customer exodus which was occurring. In my opinion, these kinds of initiatives showed total detachment: a complete disregard for the state of the company overall and the employees. I have to guess the running narrative in marketing was: "If we can put our name/logo on the NBA half-time show, or all over NASCAR's Victory Lane, etc. then everyone will believe our network and customer metrics are just fine." No coincidence that the chief marketing guy was shown the door in November 2014 shortly after Marcelo came on board. Thank goodness Marcelo pulled the plug on these things, because stuff like this was sinking the whole ship.

• Like 4

Welp I'm flying out to Chicago for a interview. Let's see how much of a beat Sprints network is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4