Sprint Schedules 2Q 2014 Earnings Release

marioc21

Congrats to Sprint! I have said that I will consider them for my 4 personal lines at the end of this year or beginning of the next after the iPhone6 came out and the production bugs have been worked out. Onward and upward!

• Like 6

Sprint post a profit for the first time in years, a lot of good news from the network to smaller customers lost. The funny thing not a single article in any of the major tech blogs yet. The bias against sprint is stronger what I thought.

Somewhere on the East Coast, Craig Moffett is kicking his dog.  Damn, damn, damn!

AJ

• Like 6

Android Central article is up.  Also fairly positive for them. 

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprints-first-quarter-2014-results-show-they-finally-turned-profit#_=_

I do think these results caught some of these blogs off guard and they had to rewrite what they had in the hopper overnight.  But I expect BGR to have their normal tabloid headline. 

• Like 2

By the end of the year, Sprint will deploy two-carrier carrier aggregation on its 2.5 GHz TD-LTE service, Saw said, producing peak downlink speeds of more than 100 Mbps. Sprint is currently seeding its customer base with devices that can take advantage of those capabilities, he said.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-sheds-181000-postpaid-subs-q2-fewer-expected/2014-07-30

For 2x carrier aggregation, are they releasing devices for this end of this year as well or all carrier aggregation handsets will be out starting next year?

Also, handsets this year? Or "devices" (read: hotspots)

Sprint's turning point has already happened and the naysayers refuse to admit that sprint is no longer going to be the sprint they used to know, anymore. It has the spectrum, it almost has the plans, they have great devices, and now they almost have the completed network which continues to be upgraded. It's a recipe for evil, I mean success.

I don't totally agree with the Great devices part.  They still have no current Windows phones.  I know people will say who cares but their market share grows each quarter.  I have 3 users that just upgraded to Windows phones on our AT&T account and they are loving it.  One each came from iphone, Android, PalmOS.   

So 2015 is shaping up to be a good year for sprint.

- phones will be unlocked out the box.

-Carrier Aggregation handsets.

- Peak Download Speeds of 180mbps

- Handsets will support 700mhz & AWS

- VoLTE (maybe)

- 600mhz auction

- CCA partnership

Can't wait.

• Like 3

I don't totally agree with the Great devices part. They still have no current Windows phones. I know people will say who cares but their market share grows each quarter. I have 3 users that just upgraded to Windows phones on our AT&T account and they are loving it. One each came from iphone, Android, PalmOS.

It would be cool if Sprint can sell the Nokia windows phone and Sony Xperia

• Like 1

Would you look at that!

FierceWireless just changed their article's name on Q2 2014 from: "Sprint sheds 181,000 postpaid subs in Q2, fewer than expected"

To: "Sprint's Hesse confirms carrier is testing new rate plans"

It looks like calling them out really does work! Per my nagging comments?

Proof is in the pudding! (Link) http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-sheds-181000-postpaid-subs-q2-fewer-expected/2014-07-30

The Executive Editor chose to respond to me, what should I say?

Edited by EmeraldReporter
  • Like 5

Just saw that. The Gigaom anti-Sprint article is a whole lot of whining with no specifics on how Network Vision is a failure.

That type of feeling is consistent with most of his articles. He has come here before and discussed his opinion, and I believe it was along the lines of that he just doesn't feel that sprint has done "enough" yet. They aren't there yet basically.

In some ways I can agree with him, but to argue and say that Sprint continues to promise to bring new network enhancements as if they have not been doing so for the past years....The part that bothers me the most is this one... "The problem is Sprint has been promising these kind of miracle networks for years. They always seem to be just around the corner, but they never really get fully built."

That statement is a thing of the past, but it echoes in everything he writes about sprint. The fact is that Sprint IS moving forward, and things are getting done. I can understand why it's been hard to believe that, but to continue saying the same thing over and over that Sprint has not come through with it's promises in the past...Yeh, we get it. It's known. It's different now. Perhaps he could've wrote on the fact that Sprint met its LTE goal, has 1/3rd of the country with LTE 800, 2/3rds with 800 voice. Spark in 26 markets which surpasses TMO's wideband(I think). Churn is decreasing as anticipated in markets that are more complete...Like anything? No, only negatives pretty much. 

Edit: To add, this is how I feel about most of the people's intelligence that read these articles.

A5UeAip.gif

• Like 5

Just saw that. The Gigaom anti-Sprint article is a whole lot of whining with no specifics on how Network Vision is a failure.

Well, to be fair, they can't give specifics on something that isn't true. Network Vision hasn't failed.  Perhaps it has failed to meet certain people's unrealistic expectations--particular for sensational journalism--and certainly there were managerial and execution issues along the way, some self-inflicted and some external, but oftentimes people's expectation exceed their understanding of how complex and difficult such an undertaking is or can be.  I know there's plenty of work yet to be done, but sometimes, we in the tech world, need to be a bit more patient and understanding.  These so-called journalists, especially, need to stop writing like they’re preparing for some coming apocalypse.  They do this every time they write an article about Sprint, BlackBerry or Apple's quarterly report.  Some people's expectations are so ridiculous that it borders on clinical paranoia. I remember reading somewhere, probably GigaOM, about Apple's iPad sales (or tablet sales, in general) declining, and while that might be true, they made it sound like it was a problem that would either sink Apple or kill the iPad altogether, when, in fact, the iPad accounts for something like $30 billion in revenue.  Sounds like a huge problem for Apple.  Similarly, when they write about Sprint, I wonder how many actually use Sprint, have a Spark enabled phone, or whether they just write recycled ideas.  Sprint has improved in many areas, and if you're a journalist, you have to give equal play to that as you do to the many problems Sprint has and continue to have.  To just focus on the negatives is biased reporting.  They don’t do this when they talk about Verizon or AT&T or T-Mobile, all of which have had there share of struggles over the years. 

• Like 2

What the....

Been reading the articles and people are saying good things about Sprint. Not just the articles but the comments as well.

Well, we did kinda predict a mid-2014 turn around. Very good stuff here. Sprint is proceeding as expected.  :)

Also, I posted a quick summary in the Verge mobile forum.

• Like 1

Negative slanted headline from phone arena

Sprint reports minor profits and not-so-minor loss of customers for Q2 2014, not out of the woods just yet

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sprint-reports-minor-profits-and-not-so-minor-loss-of-customers-for-Q2-2014-not-out-of-the-woods-just-yet_id58783

With all the talk last year of them killing off the Virgin brand, I'm surprised no one has brought up the new Virgin plans they are launching. 

The net-neutrality-killing ones? The Verge has a story out on them. http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/30/5951335/virgin-mobile-offers-control-at-expense-of-net-neutrality

But still nothing about Sprint's earnings.