Sprint Schedules 2Q 2014 Earnings Release

marioc21

With all the talk last year of them killing off the Virgin brand, I'm surprised no one has brought up the new Virgin plans they are launching. 

That's the perfect play for Virgin - the a la carte data access to applications is awesome.

Edit: I had read something earlier this morning on the WSJ that indicated that you'd be sandboxed into Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc. and pay for those services only; didn't realize that this was something that would be appended to a Virgin plan with voice+data, and would basically give unlimited data to those services and not count against your data cap. I just read The Verge take on it and got more details. It's not as awesome as indicated above.

TL;DR Long edit

I don't totally agree with the Great devices part.  They still have no current Windows phones.  I know people will say who cares but their market share grows each quarter.  I have 3 users that just upgraded to Windows phones on our AT&T account and they are loving it.  One each came from iphone, Android, PalmOS.   

I have to agree with this. They need more in terms of Windows phones/tablets and in Android tablets. The more selection the better. 

As for the earnings report, good to see some good news, but these media outlets, the bias shown is mindboggling.

TS

• Like 2

STILL nothing. Are some outlets just not gonna do a story? If this were T-Mobile, The Verge would be livestreaming the damn event.

While it's nice to be validated for a job well done, I'm ok with this kind of information not being shouted from the mountaintops.

It makes the worst-to-first narrative that much better.

• Like 3

Look, Sprint is not out of the woods yet. They are at the edge. I believe at at the end of this year once they have launched their biggest markets yet to be launched they will be in much better shape and they can start advertising. Band 41 in the SF Bay area and New York needs to be there as soon as possible.

Look, Sprint is not out of the woods yet. They are at the edge. I believe at at the end of this year once they have launched their biggest markets yet to be launched they will be in much better shape and they can start advertising. Band 41 in the SF Bay area and New York needs to be there as soon as possible.

Band 41 is not a problem in NYC. It's available all over the place.

• Like 3

San Francisco is being cluster launched and integrated as we speak.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 10

Agreed.  Far from out the woods.  But some good signs are appearing.  It's the first steps to the ship being righted.  And if they fall down on the job the next few months, it could get worse.  However, things are likely to get better and better.  They are starting to gain some momentum.

Robert

• Like 3

Again it is not launched yet.

You need to be cluster launched and integrated in order to even be launched.

You can't complain of the market not being launched when it's in the process of being physically fired up so it can be marketed as a launch market. 

• Like 1

Agreed.  Far from out the woods.  But some good signs are appearing.  It's the first steps to the ship being righted.  And if they fall down on the job the next few months, it could get worse.  However, things are likely to get better and better.  They are starting to gain some momentum.

Robert

I agree with you. I think they are on the way up and by the end of the year they should be even better. I believe at that time they need to start advertising more heavily than now. Maybe Hesse can get a twitter account :).

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

If Hesse had a Twitter account, I feel like it'd be one of those bot accounts that just retweets whatever the official Sprint Twitter page posts. If Hesse was more proactive and responded to people on Twitter, people would have a much better perception of him.

Midtown has limited Spark coverage. There's definitely more Band 25 than Band 41 in that area. Other parts of the city are much better though.

The reason why I am asking is that my daughter lives and works around midtown and I am hesitant to recommend that she switch to Sprint before the end of the year.

The reason why I am asking is that my daughter lives and works around midtown and I am hesitant to recommend that she switch to Sprint before the end of the year.

By year end, I'll be confident for her to switch to Sprint. As of now, it's really iffy. It's either really good or really bad.

The current Sprint "Spark" implementation is running on the old Clear network. The Alcatel-Lucent 8T8R equipment has not even been turned on yet and they're deploying them so quickly many areas actually ran out of the initial equipment inventory. 

When those sites get fired on it'll be  drastic improvement in terms of data speeds as they'll be running 4x2 MIMO on the 8T8R antenna which most likely means 2 chains of 4x mimo for 2 sectors per antenna. AKA 6 sectors per cell site compared to the traditional 3 sectors which means more more more than 180 mbps of capacity per antenna  compared to the 37 + 37 of LTE 1900 & 800 of the NV 1.0 equipment.  

Sprint is using Configuration 3 for TDD-LTE.

G2yJUvC.png

• Like 5

The current Sprint "Spark" implementation is running on the old Clear network. The Alcatel-Lucent 8T8R equipment has not even been turned on yet and they're deploying them so quickly many areas actually ran out of the initial equipment inventory. 

When those sites get fired on it'll be  drastic improvement in terms of data speeds as they'll be running 4x2 MIMO on the 8T8R antenna which most likely means 2 chains of 4x mimo for 2 sectors per antenna. AKA 6 sectors per cell site compared to the traditional 3 sectors which means more more more than 180 mbps of capacity per antenna  compared to the 37 + 37 of LTE 1900 & 800 of the NV 1.0 equipment.  

Sprint is using Configuration 3 for TDD-LTE.

G2yJUvC.png

Any update on when ALU will flip the switch? A contractor told me a month.

I work in Midtown and there is band 41 band 25, 26... good speed even at lunch hour!

Edited by S4GRU
Fixed response in quote error
  • Like 1

When will the network optimization be done. I am excited to tell people this is the reason why I sticked with Sprint!

It typically happens between 2 weeks and 6 months after LTE 800 is fired up on NV complete sites with backhaul in a given area.

Robert

• Like 2