Study shows you’re probably not getting the broadband speeds you’re paying for

Paynefanbro

My Comcast speed tier is 25/5. I generally get 16-22 down and 4-6 up. When it works. I get a lot of latency and it goes down at least once a day. With Sprint, I generally get 19-25 Mbps down and 5-6 up inside my house and up to about 33 Mbps down and 9 up outside in my yard. So far, my Sprint LTE has never gone down and always 100% reliable. It is really sad that I have to turn wifi off my phone just so I can have a reasonable internet experience at home. This speaks of the reliability on the part of Comcast and on the part of Sprint. If Sprint ever decided to get in on the wired fixed internet business, I would be first in line. I love their reliability and customer service.

I did read that ATT is bringing their gigabit speed fiber service to the Jacksonville market...I really hope that includes St Augustine.

Edit: Added a comparison between my Sprint LTE speed and my Comcast Xfinity "high speed" wifi speed.

Sprint tmp_Screenshot_2014-04-24-11-15-33-1132887326.png

Comcast tmp_Screenshot_2014-04-24-11-15-541059730614.png

Wow, I'm really surprised by all these posts. I had no idea other parts of the country had such faster internet speeds. Here in the Lehigh Valley, PA, the two major cable providers are Service Electric and RCN. RCN offers three speeds, 25, 50, and 75 down. And Service Electric has a variety of options topping out maybe at 20 Mbps. The average cable package from SECTV comes with 7 mbps.

Other parts of the Valley have Blue Ridge Cable, and they have 1.5, 5, 10, 15, 30, and 50 Mbps. Most people that have DSL top out at 3 Mbps from Verizon. And a small section of the city of Allentown can get Fios.

I guess we're still behind the times! Especially since I can't get cable or DSL in my house.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Comcast in chicago is our best ISP. I pay $60 for 25/5. I used to have that 50mbps package but downgraded as those are unnecessary speeds. I think people overestimate what they really need, and the isp's win.

Comcast in chicago is our best ISP. I pay $60 for 25/5. I used to have that 50mbps package but downgraded as those are unnecessary speeds. I think people overestimate what they really need, and the isp's win.

I take advantage of it for the upload speed. My 1+ GB YouTube videos upload pretty fast with 11 Megs upstream. I'll eventually downgrade it after I move out and after the promo ends. My parents alone couldn't possibly load up a connection like that.

It is nice to have a connection like that when you got many visitors over using wifi and watching videos and stuff. I never notice a hit in the connection speed at all! Back in the day on att DSL, my sister who is an editor for a very popular wearable camera company came to visit and had our 3/512 connection on its knees for two days uploading a single video. That event was one of the final straws breaking before deciding it was time to get with the times.

I would probably cry if I saw the stat for centurylink. I have written to my town and county leaders with the same nonsense response. I have contacted centurylink about when my area is going to get upgraded with no response. I do know that somebody has been running fiber in my area. I guess I need to do some digging to find out who.

• Like 1

I am jealous of those whose upload options are higher 5mbps or higher. The best option i can get on upload is 2mbps. Whats the deal with suddenlink/northland having such low upload speeds compared to the rest of the country

I'm thankfully in a Verizon FiOS area, so my speeds are awesomely awesome and consistent. The sucky part is that Verizon has stopped expanding their network, and there are so many areas in NY which will never see it.

I HATE TWC, more than anything else in the world.

I'm thankfully in a Verizon FiOS area, so my speeds are awesomely awesome and consistent. The sucky part is that Verizon has stopped expanding their network, and there are so many areas in NY which will never see it.

I HATE TWC, more than anything else in the world.

Verizon is not done expanding in NYC. They signed a 12 year contract to build out FiOS to every neighborhood in NYC. That was done in 2008. Verizon built out FiOS to SoHo and parts of Upper Manhattan last year.

Verizon is not done expanding in NYC. They signed a 12 year contract to build out FiOS to every neighborhood in NYC. That was done in 2008. Verizon built out FiOS to SoHo and parts of Upper Manhattan last year.

Yes, but what constitutes expansion? If a building is wired only for TWC, will they bring fiber there?

That's the problem I see here.

Yes, but what constitutes expansion? If a building is wired only for TWC, will they bring fiber there?

That's the problem I see here.

That's exactly what they did at my friend's home. They never had fiber from Verizon in the neighborhood. He always complained about his TWC internet but he kept seeing Verizon trucks in his neighborhood. A few months later they set up a booth demoing FiOS in his neighborhood and he was able to switch to FiOS in his home.

I'm a Charter subscriber and pay for 30Mbps down/4Mbps up. I just got this:

3466299642.png

(I've had bursts up to 45Mbps in the past - I think one of the kids is streaming Netflix now)

I have a friend who works at Charter, and was told to expect a free 100Mbps upgrade to the service in late June. All I need to do is get one of those SecureFi Almond+ routers.... if they'd ever release them.

• Like 1

I get a consistent 22/3.5 on Windstream, paying for 24/4. I don't mind the slight speed drop because the latency is amazing (usually sub-15ms). We previously could only get 3/768k, 6/768k, or 12/768k. Now Windstream does FTTN and VDSL2 last mile.