"Beaver" Terrorists Hit New Mexico

ddimit

Eager beaver blamed for New Mexico Internet outage

Published: June 28, 2013 1:47 PM

By The Associated Press  

(AP) -- Officials have finally identified the culprit behind a 20-hour Internet and cellphone outage last week in northern New Mexico --an eager beaver.

CenturyLink spokesman David Gonzales told The Associated Press on Friday that a hungry beaver chewed through the fiber line last week. He says the biting evidence was discovered by contractors who worked to repair the outage.

• Like 3

That's funny.....it reminds me of a situation I ran into with one of the smaller county offices I cover about 2 years ago.  The gal called in a ticket for an MFP printer repair because it had stopped working, and when she started opening doors/hatches etc, when she pulled out the toner cartridge, she discovered that a mouse had somehow wormed its way into the printer back behind the cartridge (I'm still far more baffled by how it got in there in the first place than how it got behind the toner cartridge), gotten itself stuck and died.

Eager beaver blamed for New Mexico Internet outage

Published: June 28, 2013 1:47 PM

By The Associated Press  

(AP) -- Officials have finally identified the culprit behind a 20-hour Internet and cellphone outage last week in northern New Mexico --an eager beaver.

CenturyLink spokesman David Gonzales told The Associated Press on Friday that a hungry beaver chewed through the fiber line last week. He says the biting evidence was discovered by contractors who worked to repair the outage.

We had lots of CenturyLink fed sites with problems the past day or two.  I assumed it was NV related.  :lol:

Robert

• Like 1

Yep, leave it to beaver...

AJ

That's funny.....it reminds me of a situation I ran into with one of the smaller county offices I cover about 2 years ago.  The gal called in a ticket for an MFP printer repair because it had stopped working, and when she started opening doors/hatches etc, when she pulled out the toner cartridge, she discovered that a mouse had somehow wormed its way into the printer back behind the cartridge (I'm still far more baffled by how it got in there in the first place than how it got behind the toner cartridge), gotten itself stuck and died.

A good friend of mine had an inkjet printer (still does, actually). He hadn't used it for a while.

When trying to print something out one day, the printer did its usual little warm up routine, and then CRUNCH.

Well, looking inside, it appears that some mice had moved dog food there, making a stash. And not just some dog food - over two pounds of it.

After spending SOME TIME shaking the printer out (yes, standing over a garbage can, shaking it), he tried it again, and it crunched again. After shaking some more... it worked! It printed! And it looked... well, mostly okay. About what you'd expect from a $30 inkjet. 

Gee, I hope Ward was not too hard on the beaver...

AJ

I am going to have so much fun with this thread.  It is ripe and ready for off color jokes.  Get ready for more.

But, in the meantime, here is some science.  Beavers are rodents -- of the order rodentia.  Note the root word, "dent."  It does not take a Latin scholar to recognize that as a reference to teeth.  Rodents have incisors that grow continuously throughout their lives; they must gnaw to keep their incisors in check.  Otherwise, the teeth will grow through their lips.

So, you could hardly fault the beaver for gnawing on the fiber.

AJ

Now, with that science out of the way, back to our regularly scheduled programming here on S4GRU "Skinemax"...

AJ

I am going to have so much fun with this thread.  It is ripe and ready for off color jokes.  Get ready for more.

Now taking wagers on whether AJ's material will be better in this thread vs playing off Josh's Pismo Beach/clams post in Off Topic.  B)

• Like 2

Now taking wagers on whether AJ's material will be better in this thread vs playing off Josh's Pismo Beach/clams post in Off Topic.  B)

Or maybe I could win both with a perfectly placed reference to "vagina dentata."

Bazinga!

AJ