Google Hangouts w/Voice (Was Google Voice)

COZisBack

It seems to only send double if I select to send from my cell or if someone text me for the first time. I've tested sending from my phone (Nex 5) to my work phone (IPhone 5) and it is sending double and receiving 4 or 5 texts. It seems to work fine if I send the first text using google voice or there is a thread already started and using google voice number or smart reply. My number is full integrated so I'm sure that is part of the problem. ( same number for cell and gv) the only other problem I have is since its gv it's using data and if I send a text using gv and then take a call or have no data I won't receive a text back because its using gv.

I finally got my merge finished. I thought I saw this in the thread somewhere but couldn't find it. When you have the box checked to ring hangout for incoming calls I can not answer in hangout because I lose data. Was there a work around for this?

See the below:

[See Edit Below]

So I just encountered a pretty huge bug which seems like it must be specific to those with Sprint integration.

Steps to reproduce:

In the Hangouts app turn on "ring hangouts for incoming calls made to your Google Voice number" but don't connect to Wi-Fi - stay on a data connection.

When receiving a call, your phone should begin to ring as usual. But a moment later your ringer will switch from the standard phone to the Hangouts ringer, allowing you to take the call over data. The problem is, since LTE cuts out when receiving a cell call, the LTE call fails upon being answered, and the normal cell call can't be answered.

I guess the solutions are to change your GV settings to never ring your cell phone (and only take calls over data), to make sure you're on Wi-Fi when you receive calls, or to turn off receiving calls via Hangouts.

But it's funny that the settings don't prohibit this from happening.

Edit: In subsequent tests, Hangouts rings first and then the real phone rings second, so the real phone call takes the place of the Hangouts call. If you want to talk the call over data, it seems you can reject the regular call, wait a few seconds for LTE to reconnect, then take the call over data. By the same token, if you want to outright reject a call, you first must reject the regular call, then reject the Hangouts call as well. Very strange.

You get a double when hangouts sends via SMS and it then shows up as gv as well. The setting to always send via gv doesn't work properly with the sprint integration.

With the Smart Reply feature, it will choose the send type based on the last message you received in the thread to which you are responding. With sprint integration on, incoming SMS are interpreted as gv, so responses will send via gv and you won't see a duplicate. However, group texts or pictures are interpreted as (non-gv) mms and are received at the sprint number. So replies to those will send via SMS and then spawn a gv duplicate.

Subject to change if google/sprint decide to fix it

Edited by djw39

Hangouts was updated again overnight (17th). probably more bug fixes because I didn't notice additional settings. However, receiving MMS, sent to my Sprint GV#, on my Verizon S4 still doesn't work. bummer!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I don't like the calling from Hangouts. I like how the Google Voice app let's me choose between Making all calls from my Google Voice number or ask me every time I make a call.

This gives me the option to choose from making calls from my Verizon number or my Sprint GV#.

If seems to me if I enable the dialer in Hangouts, all my calls will go through Hangouts. Which is not good. The purpose of me getting the Verizon service and my S4 is for rock solid voice/data coverage with no dropped calls and call clarity.

I use Wi-Fi Calling with my Sprint S4 720T and VoIP at my job...trust me... making regular calls from Hangouts, after the newness has worn off, will eventually be irritating. Perhaps not... but my experience has been mostly good with Wi-Fi Calling and VoIP, but at times there as been delays and call interference, where the other party has said... "I couldn't hear you, your voice was breaking up."

As long as Google keeps the Google Voice App alive and kicking... I will use that for my Voice calling on my Verizon phone and now I will use Hangouts for my SMS.

I completely agree!

I am the same way. I have phone number that is my mobile work number, that I ported to GV, and I also have a personal mobile phone number that is my Sprint number.

58faea6bcd09e31e394b4d1a7ef1d24d.jpg

I like the fact that when I dial an outgoing call, I have the ability to choose between using my GV business mobile number or my personal Sprint number.

I too am going to hang on to my Google Voice app for as long as possible, and once I am forced to integrate my Google Voice with Google Hangouts, I sincerely hope that the Google Hangouts integration does not take away the ability to choose between my two phone numbers.

• Like 1

what do you means "deals?" are you talking Google or Sprint?

AJ

• Like 1

I an bailing out this Sprint Google Voice and Hangouts intergration. Many people have reported that they are receiving any where from 5-10 duplicated messages.

Here is what I speculate.... There is a serious bug when you send a GV/hangouts SMS.... every session of Google thatv you have logged in.. Sends out a text message. Any browser and smartphone.. recognizes you send and SMS.... and sends SMS out.. Hangouts can't determine that the SMS has been sent already.

That is just my educated guess.. because every Hangouts session I have logged it... that is how many SMS messages the other party gets.

I will switch back to my old setup again...

I an bailing out this Sprint Google Voice and Hangouts intergration. Many people have reported that they are receiving any where from 5-10 duplicated messages.

Here is what I speculate.... There is a serious bug when you send a GV/hangouts SMS.... every session of Google thatv you have logged in.. Sends out a text message. Any browser and smartphone.. recognizes you send and SMS.... and sends SMS out.. Hangouts can't determine that the SMS has been sent already.

That is just my educated guess.. because every Hangouts session I have logged it... that is how many SMS messages the other party gets.

I will switch back to my old setup again...

Since integration I haven't had any issue with text or mms.

The SMS were fine.. then just today... Three people have said.. " dude. there must be something wrong with your phone.. I am getting duplicate messages from you. Not just 1 or 2... but 6,7,8,etc.. " there was an update last night.. Wonder if what ever they fixed.. They broke something else.

• Like 1

The SMS were fine.. then just today... Three people have said.. " dude. there must be something wrong with your phone.. I am getting duplicate messages from you. Not just 1 or 2... but 6,7,8,etc.. " there was an update last night.. Wonder if what ever they fixed.. They broke something else.

I had the same issue. A coworker got 11 of each text I sent.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I had the Hangouts update two nights ago, and I just got another one now: 2.3.75731955. No idea what they're changing, but hopefully resolving the issues you guys mentioned.

Just got it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It seems to only send double if I select to send from my cell or if someone text me for the first time. I've tested sending from my phone (Nex 5) to my work phone (IPhone 5) and it is sending double and receiving 4 or 5 texts. It seems to work fine if I send the first text using google voice or there is a thread already started and using google voice number or smart reply. My number is full integrated so I'm sure that is part of the problem. ( same number for cell and gv) the only other problem I have is since its gv it's using data and if I send a text using gv and then take a call or have no data I won't receive a text back because its using gv.

I had the same issue. A coworker got 11 of each text I sent.

Guys - Important message from Google:

If you're using Google Voice on your Sprint phone, you shouldn't turn on text messages and voicemails in Hangouts. This will cause problems with your text messages.

Not sure when that went up, but they must know about the issue. This merger has been a disaster. How could they let this happen to Sprint integrated customers?

• Like 1