Google Hangouts w/Voice (Was Google Voice)

COZisBack

Is this going to be implemented in a new update? Or does it not work with Sprint full integration? MMS still go to my Sprint phone as normal, but not through Google Voice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Is this going to be implemented in a new update? Or does it not work with Sprint full integration? MMS still go to my Sprint phone as normal, but not through Google Voice.

I don't think the Google voice app will be updated. Thus is for those merged voice and hangouts that weren't receiving mms at all.

I don't think the Google voice app will be updated. Thus is for those merged voice and hangouts that weren't receiving mms at all.

I continued to receive MMS after the initial merge, but through Sprint and not Google Voice (in hangouts). I thought this would allow me to receive MMS via Google voice in hangouts on any device I was signed in to (tablet, computer, work phone etc) as well as send/receive MMS via Google voice in hangouts on a data only connection.

I continued to receive MMS after the initial merge, but through Sprint and not Google Voice (in hangouts). I thought this would allow me to receive MMS via Google voice in hangouts on any device I was signed in to (tablet, computer, work phone etc) as well as send/receive MMS via Google voice in hangouts on a data only connection.

Some people (or all) weren't able to get mms from certain carriers. I think all functionality with the apps are the same it's just an interoperability thing with those North American carriers. Or so I thought.

Some people (or all) weren't able to get mms from certain carriers. I think all functionality with the apps are the same it's just an interoperability thing with those North American carriers. Or so I thought.

Remember that if you use hangouts for GV, then you lose the ability to send SMS whlie talking on the phone on Tri-Band devices.  I ended up reverting things back, since in addition to that, my SMSs would get delayed in both directions over sending them directly via Sprint.

Is this a good time to also rant that you don't get HD Voice on numbers with GV?

So after switching back to a Nexus 5,i started using Hangouts for SMS texting, which I've come to like.

But then I needed a voicemail app, so I figured why not use Google Voice.

After dealing with other learning curves of Google Voice, today suddenly I'm not getting texts in Hangouts. After realizing no texts were coming through, I checked Google Voice. They were all recieved in that app, but with no notifications. However, I checked the settings and I ha e it checked to get my texts via the messaging app instead of the Voice app. Setting is also applied as main texting app in Hangouts.

Any ideas guys? I can't seem to get these apps to play nice.

So after switching back to a Nexus 5,i started using Hangouts for SMS texting, which I've come to like.

After dealing with other learning curves of Google Voice, today suddenly I'm not getting texts in Hangouts. After realizing no texts were coming through, I checked Google Voice. They were all recieved in that app, but with no notifications. However, I checked the settings and I ha e it checked to get my texts via the messaging app instead of the Voice app. Setting is also applied as main texting app in Hangouts.

Topic Merged.

Turn on google voice features in hangouts

Turn on google voice features in hangouts

So I went back and turned this on.

Why does it only work when it says ”sending from Google voice number” and if I turn that off and it says "send from my Sprint number" it won't work?

Are these part of the issues with GV and Sprint integration?

I can't figure out how to un-integrate them either.

• 2 weeks later...

Google updated Hangouts today to version 2.4.78234730.

I am making it my default message app on my Verizon S4.

I have turned on Hangouts to replace my Sprint Google Voice.

Lets see if these multiple messages problems for Sprint GV users have gone away.

If anyone else has issues after this latest update, please post an update.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Since I have installed the new Hangouts update...I have sent about 40-50 text messages (via Hangouts) to four different people...at this point...no one has complained about any repetitive text messages.

• Like 1

Since I have installed the new Hangouts update...I have sent about 40-50 text messages (via Hangouts) to four different people...at this point...no one has complained about any repetitive text messages.

Question (only because I haven't updated yet, not really in a rush) did they fix the "Smart reply" functionality?? It never worked right for me so had to just set to default to my Sprint number to either keep it from forcing me to user my Gvoice number.  The alternative is that I just don't have the option to change and send from my Gvoice number which is better than the later. 

Thanks 

The update seems to work in exactly the same way;

to switch from sms to hangout msg, tap the lower left icon, just left of the text entry box.

it should pop up a menu to either the phone number or the google/hangouts account.

when you send a hangouts message, the text bubble turns greenish when you send.

I can't answer that. I force Hangouts to send SMS from my Sprint GV number. Smart reply sounds good in theory, but didn't sound like a reliable function. I might try it, just to experiment.

When I send SMS in hangouts via Sprint, the thread in hangouts will still show two messages. One via Sprint and another via Google Voice, but the recipient doesn't get two messages. I do have it set to smart reply and it will automatically switch back to sending via Google Voice after the first Sprint SMS is sent. I was hoping this new update would fix that.

The lastest Hangouts update has seemed to fix the multiple like messages going to the other party.

I am having another issue with my contacts on Hangouts for iOS.

I installed Hangouts for iOS on my work AT&T iPhone so I can get my Sprint number calls and text messages on my iPhone.

For some reason, the iOS Hangouts is not picking up my Google contacts reliably. Some contacts show up with their correct name and picture, while others have a generic picture and number, instead of contact name and picture.

Anyone else figure out why this is hapoened? What's weird is my Hangouts for my Verizon S4 picks up the contact pictures and contact names just fine.

Only my Hangouts for iOS has this problem.

When I send SMS in hangouts via Sprint, the thread in hangouts will still show two messages. One via Sprint and another via Google Voice, but the recipient doesn't get two messages. I do have it set to smart reply and it will automatically switch back to sending via Google Voice after the first Sprint SMS is sent. I was hoping this new update would fix that.

I just integrated as i want to text from my tablet and work pc.  (sprint # as GV#)

initially had the double text on my side but single text on receiving end.  Set the reply option to google voice, logged out of google voice app, and set the incoming call option in hangouts to unchecked.

Everything seems to work great, no duplicates, and mms sends a link now, but i can live with that.

I just integrated as i want to text from my tablet and work pc.  (sprint # as GV#)

initially had the double text on my side but single text on receiving end.  Set the reply option to google voice, logged out of google voice app, and set the incoming call option in hangouts to unchecked.

Everything seems to work great, no duplicates, and mms sends a link now, but i can live with that.

MMS Sending links is like going back to Sprint caveman age when Sprint was the only carrier that didn't support MMS.  

MMS Sending links is like going back to Sprint caveman age when Sprint was the only carrier that didn't support MMS.

Thankfully those days are over..

Google Voice finally lets you send MMS messages through Verizon http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/10/google-voice-mms-works-with-verizon/

There is a new Google messenger app out.   I just switched to it from hangouts.. Will give it a test drive over the next week.  Available from the play store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging