Google Hangouts w/Voice (Was Google Voice)

COZisBack

If I integrate my sprint number with google voice will my sprint # show when calling people using the new hangouts on my n5.

Sent from my Nexus 5

yes.

If you have an existing gvoice number (that is different than your sprint #), you can pay them like $20 to keep it.

in the gvoice web site, you can configure which is the active number, however there does not appear any easy way to switch outgoing phone #'s on the fly.

yes.

If you have an existing gvoice number (that is different than your sprint #), you can pay them like $20 to keep it.

in the gvoice web site, you can configure which is the active number, however there does not appear any easy way to switch outgoing phone #'s on the fly.

I just want to integrate my sprint # so I can have WiFi calling at work on my nexus. I don't have any google voice numbers. Will integrating my sprint # with g voice take over my text and voicemail messages. I'm just running the new hangouts with the hangouts dailer.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I just want to integrate my sprint # so I can have WiFi calling at work on my nexus. I don't have any google voice numbers. Will integrating my sprint # with g voice take over my text and voicemail messages. I'm just running the new hangouts with the hangouts dailer.

Sent from my Nexus 5

yes, integration will use your sprint # on gvoice, which will take over your text/voicemail.

so you will lose any voice mails on sprints vmail system.

however you will be able to access the gvoice website and app to send/retrieve text/voicemail from any data connection or browser, and now you will be able to make voip calls over any data connection (ie tablets and old phones over wifi).

• Like 1

Is anyone having issues activating google voice integration? I just tried and the only thing it says is that porting is unavailable. No mention of Sprint-Gvoice integration.  I have integrated before without issue.

Is anyone having issues activating google voice integration? I just tried and the only thing it says is that porting is unavailable. No mention of Sprint-Gvoice integration.  I have integrated before without issue.

did you use the gvoice app?

you might have to log out the app, then log in to do the integration.

or else maybe they have disabled it during the transition.

did you use the gvoice app?

you might have to log out the app, then log in to do the integration.

or else maybe they have disabled it during the transition.

I'm talking about integrating on the website.  I have it set up as google voice "lite" providing voicemail, but if I choose "get a google voice number" and enter my current number, it comes up with a message that says porting my number isn't supported with no option to do Sprint integration.

if i recall correctly you have to do it via the gvoice app.

go to voice app settings, log out, close it, restart it and login with your google account and it should ask if you want integration or 'lite' mode.

I'm talking about integrating on the website. I have it set up as google voice "lite" providing voicemail, but if I choose "get a google voice number" and enter my current number, it comes up with a message that says porting my number isn't supported with no option to do Sprint integration.

If my memory serves me correctly, you have to "get a Google Voice number" first, and then do the Sprint-Google Voice integration. One the integration is completed, you have the choice of either the Sprint number replacing the Google Voice number or the Google Voice number replacing the Sprint number.

The best advice I can give is to Google search... Google Voice Sprint integration...

You should be able to find several sets of step-by-step instructions.

I'm talking about integrating on the website. I have it set up as google voice "lite" providing voicemail, but if I choose "get a google voice number" and enter my current number, it comes up with a message that says porting my number isn't supported with no option to do Sprint integration.

That's not cool. Apparently they broke something. Or sprint and Google have broken their integration contract. Buggy ass update.

And this is exactly why they do these staggered Rollouts. I'll probably not sideload the updated hangouts app until it's offered to me. Maybe more bugs will be squashed by then. Possibly breaking integration and or mms is not worth being a Guinea pig.

• Like 1

Is anyone having issues activating google voice integration? I just tried and the only thing it says is that porting is unavailable. No mention of Sprint-Gvoice integration. I have integrated before without issue.

Yes, same experience. I had been flipping back and forth between integrated and just "lite", eventually settled on lite (with integration off) due to emoji. In the past you could enable integration either on the phone using the app, or through settings on the website, but right now neither method works. Just wait a few days to try it again I guess.

I do not have Google Voice integration. I never used GV but here are a few things I've noted while playing with the new calling feature. 

I made a couple calls after updating the app and downloading the new hangouts dialer app. Calling to my wife (who also updated) from hangouts to hangouts is crystal clear, just like an HD voice call. I also tried calling to a landline and it sounded like a normal call. There is a slight delay, probably just shy of a second but nothing terrible. When calling a phone (landline or someone who does not have hangouts) the caller ID shows as unavailable. 

One benefit for tri-band phones is you won't lose your data connection when making a call through hangouts. My car's built-in bluetooth also recognized the hangout call as a phone call and allowed me to use the bluetooth speakerphone just as I was on a regular call. 

I hope that helps those who have questions. If I notice anything else, I'll post up again. I haven't tried it on my tablet yet but plan to when I have some time. That would be interesting to see how it works. My assumption would be that it should work just as it does on my phone but I'll check that out another time. 

For the record, I side-loaded the app from droid-life.com but I'm guessing everyone will have it by the end of the week through Google Play. 

Those of you experiencing problems activating the Sprint integration with Google Voice did you happen to change plans? My integration quit working after midnight the day I switched to the new plans from Framily and I've not been able to use anything but voicemail lite integration since then.

Those of you experiencing problems activating the Sprint integration with Google Voice did you happen to change plans? My integration quit working after midnight the day I switched to the new plans from Framily and I've not been able to use anything but voicemail lite integration since then.

I'm on the new family share plan.

Side-loaded the app. Hangouts-to-landline calls on-phone do have a different feel to them vs. cellular...more background noise (probably due to a less choosy codec). But I kind of knew that already, since I use GVoice extensively from my computer.

I don't have integration turned on at the moment, since I like both my GVoice and my Sprint numbers, but maybe I'll turn it on and switch to "Sprint mode" in a few days. I did have Lite Mode turned on awhile back but when I switched to the business plan I lost that.

I am also having problems with turning on sprint integration. I have never used Sprint Integration before. It keeps telling me that "Unfortunately, Google voice cannot be enabled on this Sprint phone. Please contact Sprint for more details as to why this cannot be enabled." At first the only option it gave me was to port my number. It finally showed the integration option when I created a google voice number.

• Like 1

I finally got the integration option and upon trying to integrate, it failed. Now my phone is in a state where it can't receive or place calls.

Most of the Sprint website was/is under maintenance tonight.  Not sure if that could be part of the issue, but thought I'd throw it out as a possibility.  

I finally got the integration option and upon trying to integrate, it failed. Now my phone is in a state where it can't receive or place calls.

My phone also went through a stage where I could not receive or place calls or text messages due to the failed Google Voice integration. The only thing that worked for me after hours of working with Sprint was to disable every feature on the Google Voice website that involved my mobile phone and then completely removing my mobile phone from Google Voice. Literally deleting it. After that my phone was fine and I could add it back to Google Voice without a problem but I have never attempted the full integration again after that.

My phone also went through a stage where I could not receive or place calls or text messages due to the failed Google Voice integration. The only thing that worked for me after hours of working with Sprint was to disable every feature on the Google Voice website that involved my mobile phone and then completely removing my mobile phone from Google Voice. Literally deleting it. After that my phone was fine and I could add it back to Google Voice without a problem but I have never attempted the full integration again after that.

Yep that's what I did this morning. Called and asked them to remove the Google Voice SOC from my line. Everything back to normal now.

No, in my situation Sprint trying to remove Google Voice SOC would not work. It kept returning. I had to physically delete my Sprint number from the Google Voice website before it could be removed on Sprint's end.

No, in my situation Sprint trying to remove Google Voice SOC would not work. It kept returning. I had to physically delete my Sprint number from the Google Voice website before it could be removed on Sprint's end.

Yes I did both. Deleted the sprint number from google voice then asked them to remove the SOC.

I don't get why this Google Hangouts is such a big deal. I have had Sprint/GV integration since it's launch in 2011 (it could be 2010) and I use my Sprint number on my Verizon Galaxy S4 and my AT&T iPhone. I use the Google Voice app on both of those smartphones to make and receive calls from my Sprint number on my Verizon and AT&T phone. It works flawlessly. I can send and receive text messages from my Sprint number using the Google Voice app as well. Once I add the random GV# that is tagged to each GV call/text to the appropriate contact, I can use my stock messaging app from my Verizon S4 and AT&T iPhone for texts without issues.

Again, I have used this setup for 3+ years, it works perfect about 98% of the time.

Google Hangouts is poorly written, unstable, and highly overrated.

My two cents.

• Like 2

I don't get why this Google Hangouts is such a big deal. I have had Sprint/GV integration since it's launch in 2011 (it could be 2010) and I use my Sprint number on my Verizon Galaxy S4 and my AT&T iPhone. I use the Google Voice app on both of those smartphones to make and receive calls from my Sprint number on my Verizon and AT&T phone. It works flawlessly. I can send and receive text messages from my Sprint number using the Google Voice app as well. Once I add the random GV# that is tagged to each GV call/text to the appropriate contact, I can use my stock messaging app from my Verizon S4 and AT&T iPhone for texts without issues.

Again, I have used this setup for 3+ years, it works perfect about 98% of the time.

Google Hangouts is poorly written, unstable, and highly overrated.

My two cents.

I feel the complete opposite. The G Voice app is awful, slow, buggy, and has not been updated in ages. Hangouts on the other hand gets updated regularly, and is the only chat platform I use other than SMS (and I use it for SMS now too!)

That means all my communication is in a single app. Hangouts now also has the ability to send and receive SMS over data (which GV ofc already had) BUT it can also place and receive calls over data. This would have been super helpful when I was in WV recently skiing and Sprint had literally 0 service within 30 mins of the mountain, not even roaming, but our cabin had WiFi. Everyone with me was using calling over hangouts from my laptop because their verizon phones did not work either, this would have been much more convenient over my phone.

I also use the hangouts chrome extension to talk to people all day in my computer, now I will be able to get SMS and respond right through that extension too, instead of having to go to the GV website.

But we all have our own opinions :)

• Like 2