Google Hangouts w/Voice (Was Google Voice)

COZisBack

I had an unexpected experience last night with this. I am not fully integrated. I have a separate Google Voice number and I simply use Google Voice as my Sprint voicemail.

I do have the new Hangouts and the new Hangouts dialer. I had set it up to receive GV text messages, voicemails and incoming phone calls through Hangouts on the phone.

Receiving GV incoming phone calls through Hangouts created an interesting result. When I get an incoming Sprint call on my Sprint number the phone rings and if I don't answer it then it rolls to Google Voice voicemail as expected. However, once it rolled then I received a new incoming phone call through Hangouts from my GV number and I had to wait for that call to expire before the caller could actually leave a voicemail message.

It appears that Google Voice is not distinguishing between no answer call forward from the Sprint line and an incoming call. It is ringing the Hangouts app in both circumstances. I'm going to play around with some of the call rules and see if there is a way to overcome this.

I ended up setting my GV account to Do Not Disturb. The only side effect I can see is that text messages sent to the GV number do not produce a notification on the phone. But since I use my GV # for voice mail only, that's fine with me.

With DND set to ON, all calls to the GV # go straight to voice mail, which is what I want.

I noticed that when I send SMS via sprint, hangouts also shows a duplicate message from google voice. The recipient doesn't get two messages though, any idea what's causing it?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

You can set SMS to default to sending from Google Voice (which is the same number if you are Sprintegrated), should eliminate the duplicates

[Edit: doesn't seem to work]

Edited by djw39

hangouts was updated again yesterday. I applied the update. the lag on contacts is gone and I can now choose the number that Hangouts (GV# from Sprint) sends the SMS from. Cool.

I am using my Verizon S4 and continue to use the Google Voice App to force all calls being made from my Verizon S4 to come from my Sprint GV#.

I can send an MMS from Hangouts (on Verizon S4) and it comes from my Sprint GV#, but the picture is not directly displayed to the receiving number. they get an encrypted link, they click the link and the MMS shows fine. So Hangouts sending MMS from my Sprint GV# kinda works.

however... receiving MMS in Hangouts (on Verizon S4) with my Sprint GV# does not work. the MMS continue to go to my actual Sprint phone.

Has anyone (using a similar setup) gotten the receiving MMS to work tweaking the APN setting inside Hangouts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I don't like the calling from Hangouts. I like how the Google Voice app let's me choose between Making all calls from my Google Voice number or ask me every time I make a call.

This gives me the option to choose from making calls from my Verizon number or my Sprint GV#.

If seems to me if I enable the dialer in Hangouts, all my calls will go through Hangouts. Which is not good. The purpose of me getting the Verizon service and my S4 is for rock solid voice/data coverage with no dropped calls and call clarity.

I use Wi-Fi Calling with my Sprint S4 720T and VoIP at my job...trust me... making regular calls from Hangouts, after the newness has worn off, will eventually be irritating. Perhaps not... but my experience has been mostly good with Wi-Fi Calling and VoIP, but at times there as been delays and call interference, where the other party has said... "I couldn't hear you, your voice was breaking up."

As long as Google keeps the Google Voice App alive and kicking... I will use that for my Voice calling on my Verizon phone and now I will use Hangouts for my SMS.

• Like 1

I finally got my merge finished. I thought I saw this in the thread somewhere but couldn't find it. When you have the box checked to ring hangout for incoming calls I can not answer in hangout because I lose data. Was there a work around for this?

I am assuming you have downloaded the Hangouts Dialer? If so..keep in mind.. the Hangouts Dialer is on its initial release. Probably quite buggy.

Yes. I haven't had any issues calling out. Just when I receive a call it still comes through the normal phone as well as attempts Hangout.

What do you want to happen? Calls answered by your phone or hangouts?

On my phone would like to try using hangout so i can keep my data live.

Then just remove the dialer. Once I removed the hangouts dialer, the option inside hangouts about answering calls no longer exists.

I want the option to answer through hangout without it hitting the normal feature.

I noticed that when I send SMS via sprint, hangouts also shows a duplicate message from google voice. The recipient doesn't get two messages though, any idea what's causing it?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Yesterday, I didn't have this problem.  All my sms in Hangouts said sent "via Google Voice".  Overnight something changed because now I have the duplicate issue as well. I hadn't changed any of my settings.

Yesterday, I didn't have this problem. All my sms in Hangouts said sent "via Google Voice". Overnight something changed because now I have the duplicate issue as well. I hadn't changed any of my settings.

That's how it happened to me. I didn't change anything and then next day it was showing the duplicates.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Its just a bug that will eventually get worked out. Yesterday I sent a text to my daughter. The Hangouts app said I sent the text SIX times. My daughter said she only received one message. In time, I am sure Google will get most bugs worked out.