Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Its not going to get buried, its been brought back up a couple times. You're link tells people how to manually enable b41 and b26, no different than all of us on sprint have already done. Their n5's don't officially support spark or work flawlessly with it, no n5 will until Google pushes out 4.4.3(or whatever it is). It doesn't magically change because they're on a different carrier, you'd have to be astoundingly naive to believe that. I'm sure were all equally irritated that its taking so long, but hey if we don't like it we can get different phones. Personally in not giving up my 5-8dbm rf performance lead for a few less weeks of waiting.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

i linked that to point out that **Ting now offering access to Sprint's Spark tri-band LTE service**

"..What about tri-band LTE compatible hardware, you ask? Ting's got you covered. The company today added the Samsung Galaxy Mega and Galaxy S4 mini to its lineup, which are priced at $476 and $402, and it says that the LG G2 will arrive on its shelves soon. The Nexus 5 is also compatible with the tri-band LTE service. Ting also offers two tri-band LTE data devices from Novatel, the MiFi 500 and the Zing..."

when you point out that - Their n5's don't officially support spark or work flawlessly with it, no n5 will until Google pushes out 4.4.3(or whatever it is)...

says, that it couldn't be controlled on the network side (which it is anyways) w/o neutering the bands from the device? the snapdrag 800 does evdo rev b whether or not sprint enables it or not, the device has the cabability w/o it being cut off..

call me naive for thinking an update is needed for a function it could have done out of the factory, which begs the question yet again;

To be accurate, there are more than 2 tri-band devices out there that are active. GS4T, GS4 Mini, Galaxy Mega, HTC One max, LG Flex, LG G2, HTC One M8...

Why is the N5 not Spark enabled? When it was released, they did not have everything tuned properly for Spark. No devices were being released with Spark enabled at that point. Even the One max and Galaxy Mega were not Spark enabled until launch day for them, as they received an OTA that day.

The LG G2 got it's Spark update a little later on. I'm sure they've gotten things worked out for the N5, however, because it's a universal (almost) device, Sprint can't push a Sprint only update. Sprint has to wait for Google to push the update. If you want to yell at anyone, yell at Google. But it's a big job to make sure the update doesn't break anything for the other carriers. Not only does it have to play nice with Spark, but it also has to play nice with AT&T and T-Mobile. 

"..If you want to yell at anyone, yell at Google. But it's a big job to make sure the update doesn't break anything for the other carriers. Not only does it have to play nice with Spark, but it also has to play nice with AT&T and T-Mobile. .."

not yelling, just want clarity; by your logic, you beleive, having those bands enabled on the cdma side, could break something on the gsm side..?

ok..

not yelling, just want clarity; by your logic, you beleive, having those bands enabled on the cdma side, could break something on the gsm side..?

ok..

It has nothing to do with CDMA or GSM and everything to do with the LTE radios. Changing something on one can indeed affect another. You're beginning to sound a bit trollish.

• Like 1

It has nothing to do with CDMA or GSM and everything to do with the LTE radios. Changing something on one can indeed affect another. You're beginning to sound a bit trollish.

because i seek answers .. i sound trollish..

thank you..

i linked that to point out that **Ting now offering access to Sprint's Spark tri-band LTE service**

"..What about tri-band LTE compatible hardware, you ask? Ting's got you covered. The company today added the Samsung Galaxy Mega and Galaxy S4 mini to its lineup, which are priced at $476 and $402, and it says that the LG G2 will arrive on its shelves soon. The Nexus 5 is also compatible with the tri-band LTE service. Ting also offers two tri-band LTE data devices from Novatel, the MiFi 500 and the Zing..."[/size]

when you point out that - Their n5's don't officially support spark or work flawlessly with it, no n5 will until Google pushes out 4.4.3(or whatever it is)...

says, that it couldn't be controlled on the network side (which it is anyways) w/o neutering the bands from the device? the snapdrag 800 does evdo rev b whether or not sprint enables it or not, the device has the cabability w/o it being cut off..

call me naive for thinking an update is needed for a function it could have done out of the factory, which begs the question yet again;

Look at the .15 baseband issues. It makes it where you cant get calls/text in ecsfb issue areas. But go to .17 and its fine. Yes technically you can access b41/b26 without the update but it is sporadic, and may not workin all situations. The spark update will help create a better experience.

"..What about tri-band LTE compatible hardware, you ask? Ting's got you covered. The company today added the Samsung Galaxy Mega and Galaxy S4 mini to its lineup, which are priced at $476 and $402, and it says that the LG G2 will arrive on its shelves soon. The Nexus 5 is also compatible with the tri-band LTE service. Ting also offers two tri-band LTE data devices from Novatel, the MiFi 500 and the Zing..."

says, that it couldn't be controlled on the network side (which it is anyways) w/o neutering the bands from the device? the snapdrag 800 does evdo rev b whether or not sprint enables it or not, the device has the cabability w/o it being cut off..

Honestly I wasn't calling you naive, or trying to be a dick. Ting may offer try band devices and say that the n5 supports spark. Sprint lists the n5 as a spark device in store and online too, technically though it doesn't because it needs a software update to enable it to work flawlessly with b41/b26. Ehrpd and evdo are 3g technologies, so don't see how that's relevant to the n5 needing an update? Its handled by the network what band you're going to be on, not if your phone can or can not access them 0.o.

I didn't understand why you linked that at first, thank you for clarifying. From what our developer members on here have said and what I've found on my own searching it'd be very easy to screw up support for the other carriers by enabling spark. These new single band phones are something manufacturers have had to deal with before and if it was easy to have support for every carrier in a phone then why do aren't there more phones like the nexus lines? If you're looking for more info I'd definitely ask Robert or AJ because they're going to be able to give you a way better answer.

• Like 1

Look at the .15 baseband issues. It makes it where you cant get calls/text in ecsfb issue areas. But go to .17 and its fine. Yes technically you can access b41/b26 without the update but it is sporadic, and may not workin all situations. The spark update will help create a better experience.

i have YET to hear of one person who has tried -

as for the no calls coming in, or the phone app freezing on incoming calls while on lte, it's as simple as switching from *home only* to *automatic* to  in *system select* under *mobile network setting*

& i've posted this to my solution in multiple places in here

worked for me..

has ANYONE ELSE at else attempted to see if it worked for them?

Edited by j'vai

Honestly I wasn't calling you naive, or trying to be a dick. Ting may offer try band devices and say that the n5 supports spark. Sprint lists the n5 as a spark device in store and online too, technically though it doesn't because it needs a software update to enable it to work flawlessly with b41/b26. Ehrpd and evdo are 3g technologies, so don't see how that's relevant to the n5 needing an update? Its handled by the network what band you're going to be on, not if your phone can or can not access them 0.o.

I didn't understand why you linked that at first, thank you for clarifying. From what our developer members on here have said and what I've found on my own searching it'd be very easy to screw up support for the other carriers by enabling spark. These new single band phones are something manufacturers have had to deal with before and if it was easy to have support for every carrier in a phone then why do aren't there more phones like the nexus lines? If you're looking for more info I'd definitely ask Robert or AJ because they're going to be able to give you a way better answer.

thanks, actually,  i've been scouring the net looking for answers to my inquery in other browser tabs.. on xda now..

as for the no calls coming in, or the phone app freezing on incoming calls while on lte, it's as simple as switching from *home only* to *automatic* to in *system select* under *mobile network setting*

worked for me..

I've always had mine set that way, issues are still there in non ecsfb areas.

as for the no calls coming in, or the phone app freezing on incoming calls while on lte, it's as simple as switching from *home only* to *automatic* to  in *system select* under *mobile network setting*

It's not at all that simple.

Have you read all 264 pages in the thread? Not sure you "have YET to hear of one person who has tried" it.

I have tried every combination of settings to try and get my N5 to work properly on sites that are not eCSFB ready. It does not work. Running the .15 baseband, while allowing for more successful Spark connections causes problems with getting calls and texts.

With all bands enabled, and band priorities in every combination possible, I have yet to make a successful Band 41 (Spark) connection in Kansas City, an official Spark market. It's obvious that an update beyond just enabling the band is required to allow Spark to work properly on the N5.

• Like 2

as for the no calls coming in, or the phone app freezing on incoming calls while on lte, it's as simple as switching from *home only* to *automatic* to in *system select* under *mobile network setting*

worked for me..

That's the default setting...

• Like 1

For asking questions no, it's the way you've gone about it. 

like how so?

your reply to me as a mod, was "there's a nexus forum for that"  then comments were moved here..

the focus was all over the place ABOUT the nexus 5, but my pointed inquiery, about why it shipped neutered comes off as.. trollish, when in reality, it seems  the question is being brushed off, i'm looking at the replies, & i'm like "for real"..

like how so?

your reply to me as a mod, was "there's a nexus forum for that"  then comments were moved here..

the focus was all over the place ABOUT the nexus 5, but my pointed inquiery, about why it shipped neutered comes off as.. trollish, when in reality, it seems  the question is being brushed off, i'm looking at the replies, & i'm like "for real"..

Like "how so" that you continuously argue with people who have extensively researched this issue. In case you have not noticed, there are 260 pages and 5,187 replies to this thread. I am sure what you are discussing has been covered extensively. Why do you insist on arguing. 

And it was ME who suggested that this be merged into the nexus thread because there was no need for a new thread to discuss a topic that has already been discussed ad nauseam! 

• Like 2

It's not at all that simple.

Have you read all 264 pages in the thread? Not sure you "have YET to hear of one person who has tried" it.

I have tried every combination of settings to try and get my N5 to work properly on sites that are not eCSFB ready. It does not work. Running the .15 baseband, while allowing for more successful Spark connections causes problems with getting calls and texts.

With all bands enabled, and band priorities in every combination possible, I have yet to make a successful Band 41 (Spark) connection in Kansas City, an official Spark market. It's obvious that an update beyond just enabling the band is required to allow Spark to work properly on the N5.

i remember my last posts on that article about csfb on the wall -  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-357-nexus-5-and-lg-g2-experience-temporary-sprint-lte-connectivity-issues-due-to-circuit-switched-fallback-technology/?st=75#commentsStart

Like "how so" that you continuously argue with people who have extensively researched this issue. In case you have not noticed, there are 260 pages and 5,187 replies to this thread. I am sure what you are discussing has been covered extensively. Why do you insist on arguing. 

And it was ME who suggested that this be merged into the nexus thread because there was no need for a new thread to discuss a topic that has already been discussed ad nauseam! 

ok...

i'm not sure how you're looking at things from your side of the keyboard & monitor...

but from my side, **arguing** isn't hardly the thing i wanted to project from my end, i didn't see *argument* anywhere, from my end;

you want me to just, accept that "people who have extensively researched this issue. In case you have not noticed, there are 260 pages and 5,187 replies to this thread. I am sure what you are discussing has been covered extensively...

i was always told, there's never such thing a dumb question.. 

no1 has answerd technically,  WHY the nexus 5 shipped with bands neutered..

but i'll leave it alone..

Its handled by the network what band you're going to be on, not if your phone can or can not access them

It may *supposed* to be handled by the network, but either that functionality is not yet enabled or not optimized enough to make a difference.

The only way, at least for the nexus 5, to get b41 is to have all the right parts enabled on the phone (and .15 or .17 baseband helps a lot) and be in an area where the b41 signal is higher than the b25 signal.

It is most definitely the phone which initiates the b41 connection, not the network. At least at this point in time, on the nexus 5, and at a minimum in the st louis area.

Whether or not 'network control' over b41 is working in other areas and other phones I can not comment on.

The reason you're coming off "trollish" according to some is because you've seemed to miss what multiple people have said. This topic has been examined, debated, discussed multiple times already. Your initial comments/questions were along the lines of beating a corpse. Results will be the same as they were the past times, in case that was confusing.

• Like 1

Because no one here KNOWS WHY, because they are not the people at sprint or google who determines WHY.

All anyone here is make educated guesses based on research and experience.

• Like 2

Yes it was.

Spark wasn't ready when the N5 shipped. Just like Spark wasn't ready when the LG G2 shipped.

Spark wasn't ready when the Galaxy Mega or HTC One max were announced either.

The difference? There are Sprint Only variants of those devices, making it much easier to update.

Exactly why Spark wasn't included initially on those devices? We can't be sure, just that something wasn't ready.

• Like 3

***Ding Ding Ding***

Alright, fight's over. Everyone go to their corners and grab some water (or back away from the keyboard for a few hours). Argument is a draw.

Let's go off of this going forward please....

There is a hold up on the Spark update. It's taking longer than Sprint & Google both had hope. You have these types of issues when you're dealing with a true multi-carrier device. We hope to see the Spark update released in the next update from Google and/or Sprint.

All the work-arounds have been attempted here at S4GRU and the Nexus 5 still doesn't perform as Sprint intends for it to after a Spark update. Hopefully Sprint can light a fire if they haven't already and get things moving forward with Google.

Yes, it will require extensive testing as any changes made to the devices radio will affect all carriers as it's a multi-carrier device. It may even be an issue of how to get it to deploy to only Sprint devices and not all carriers.

With that said, let's move onto the next topic with the Nexus 5. This is a request for all ;)

Thanks for your cooperation.

• Like 9

It may *supposed* to be handled by the network, but either that functionality is not yet enabled or not optimized enough to make a difference.

The only way, at least for the nexus 5, to get b41 is to have all the right parts enabled on the phone (and .15 or .17 baseband helps a lot) and be in an area where the b41 signal is higher than the b25 signal.

It is most definitely the phone which initiates the b41 connection, not the network. At least at this point in time, on the nexus 5, and at a minimum in the st louis area.

Whether or not 'network control' over b41 is working in other areas and other phones I can not comment on.

That's where the second half of my comment came in, the nexus 5 isn't capable to access them yet. We may be able to hack/mod in some capability but it isn't the same as what it would be if the n5 could support them/will support them. Look at the m8 thread for instance; people are reporting it connecting to b41 where its launched and live and holding onto it until its unusable, just like its *supposed* to.

it is ironic that one of the reasons to buy a nexus 5 was to ostensibly get quicker/more regular updates straight from google, and while I don't have any major problems other than lack of proper spark support, it is getting pretty frustrating that the nexus has been so slow in getting this issue updated..

You have to remember that the Nexus line is meant to get the latest *Android* updates, not the latest feature update that will enable something very specific to a very small audience. When the next Android version comes out for bug fixes, most likely 4.4.3, we will get it fast. When whatever is revealed at Google I/O is released (4.5/5.0), we'll get it fast.

You have to remember we're a very small subset of people. On one hand, there's the Sprint side of things. They have the GS4 Mini, Galaxy Mega, GS4T, LG G2, LG G Flex, HTC One Max, HTC One M8, and the GS5 soon all with Spark enabled. On the other hand there's the Nexus 5 side. Nexus 5 owners can choose between AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint, along with other smaller carriers. When you look at it that way, the number of Nexus 5 owners on Sprint is a very very small subset of Sprint customers AND Nexus 5 users. It's kind of sad, but the truth is we are probably a very low priority to both Google and Sprint.

However, I do have faith that the Spark update will come soon. Whether it's in 4.4.3 or not remains to be seen, but with the LG G2 having Spark enabled a long time ago now, and that whole Band 41 testing for Nascar thing that went on a few months ago, I can see them releasing it very soon.

• Like 1