HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

Yeah after I got my replacement M8 he said to use GPS so the towers know how far you are from them, after we fixed the wrong SIM card number in the phone to the right on it worked fine. So far so good, don't know if I just had a defective radio in my old M8 or it was the wrong SIM number, either way it works now.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

That is great news I am strongly considering this phone because it has 32gigs internal storage and looks awesome ! Did not know they used the GPS like that.

That is great news I am strongly considering this phone because it has 32gigs internal storage and looks awesome ! Did not know they used the GPS like that.

They don't lol just bs from the store guy. I know the tower I'm using 92% of the time is further away than two others that are closer.

Sent from my HTC One M8

I been having issues with a samsung 64gb class 10 and a sandisk 64gb class 10 and I thought it was my m8 but after running a few tests on the cards it turned out that both cards were fake. 

Question -- How did you prove they were both "Fake".  Is there an easy way to spot this?

Signal is not based off of GPS in any way. Just something a rep said to sound smart that backfired.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Question -- How did you prove they were both "Fake".  Is there an easy way to spot this?

Well there are a few apps on the play store as well as for windows that can test to see if a card is fake or not.  You can also tell by comparing a real card to it.  For example, with sandisk 64gb I ordered off of ebay recently, I compared it to another sandisk 64gb that I got from sandisk directly.  The reds and greys where slightly off on the counterfeit and the back of the card was different.  These fake cards mostly look legit but what caused a red flag for me personally was when I was trying to copy over about 11 gigs of music which should have only taken me 20 to 25 minutes at the most but with the fake card it took an hour and a half.

Anyone use the headphones that came with the M8? Thinking about using them when I cruise around in my car since I don't have a working radio right now ⊙_⊙

Sent from my HTC One M8

The headphones that come with the m8/m7 are surprisingly good.

I can easily see my band using ##debug#, but what am I looking for in signal check? All the numbers and acronyms are Greek to me. I'm looking for something that says band # or even the frequency.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One M8

I think it will say sprint b26 or b41 if you're on anything other than band 25.
  • Like 1

You need to look at the Provider line in SignalCheck pro:

Band 25:

Provider: Sprint (310120)

Band 26:

Provider: Sprint B26 (310120)

Band 41:

Haven't seen it in Signalcheck,  but probably   Provider: Sprint B41 (310120)

On the M8, Signalcheck also provides you frequencies of your  connection.

So one thing I noticed which is odd, at least to me, when I receive a phone call while on LTE, the phone switches to 800 voice for the phone call.  All is well.  Call ends, goes back to LTE.  If I set the phone to CDMA only, it goes to 1900 for voice, not 800.  Standing in the same spot.

Found it interesting.

Something else for all those having the issue in sunlight.  When you are going to be in the sun, shut off the auto brightness setting.  Appears the sensor is out of whack.  Shut that off, put brightness as full, and you can easily see the screen in direct sunlight, even with sunglasses on.

So one thing I noticed which is odd, at least to me, when I receive a phone call while on LTE, the phone switches to 800 voice for the phone call.  All is well.  Call ends, goes back to LTE.  If I set the phone to CDMA only, it goes to 1900 for voice, not 800.  Standing in the same spot.

Found it interesting.

Mine does that too. When taking calls it switches to 800 but when it is idle in CDMA only mode it sits on 1900. I wonder why they do that?

This phone is a great GPS because its loud haha. My auto brightness works fine. Now I just have to wait for a mophie case maybe. Irk it lasts all day for me a avg of 16 to 18 hours with avg of 2:30 to 3 hours of screen on but I have low signal so that kills the battery big time.

Sent from my HTC One M8

So I went to NYC this weekend and I kept a close eye on my phone in various different areas but at no point did my phone connect to any Band 41. I tried doing a PRL update after I got into the city just in case but still didn't see anything. Is there anything special that needs to be done to obtain B41 on the M8?

So I went to NYC this weekend and I kept a close eye on my phone in various different areas but at no point did my phone connect to any Band 41. I tried doing a PRL update after I got into the city just in case but still didn't see anything. Is there anything special that needs to be done to obtain B41 on the M8?

Be close to a clearwire tower and hope it has gone live. So far my B41 experience on my N5 and S5 are a hit or a miss.

If you are close to a live tower and all the upgrades have been done with super strong signal you're going to have the fastest LTE speeds possible. If you move a block or two in any direction you can see your speeds go from 70+ Mbps to 50, 30, 20, etc. better be sure not move and stay in that spot haha

If the upgrade hasn't been done you'll connect to B41 then be kicked off right away. B41 where it works it's damn good. Where it doesn't and you're trying to connect to any B41 site it's a huge pain.

On signal check it doesn't display anything for 1x while on LTE but when I received a call right by a tower signal check showed 1x800 at almost full strength but it said (connecting) next to it when normally it would say "connected" it still appears to be 1x800 I guess it's just a little different on the app v. S3 although the tower is not 1x800 yet according to the maps but that could not be up to date. 

On signal check it doesn't display anything for 1x while on LTE but when I received a call right by a tower signal check showed 1x800 at almost full strength but it said (connecting) next to it when normally it would say "connected" it still appears to be 1x800 I guess it's just a little different on the app v. S3 although the tower is not 1x800 yet according to the maps but that could not be up to date.

Signal Check doesn't show anything for 1x while connected to LTE because there is nothing to show. As has been discussed a thousand times over, all tri-band devices have a single transmission path. This means you are only connected to one technology at a time. Either 1x, EVDO, or LTE.

When connected to LTE, your device falls back to 1x to make our receive calls almost instantly, and then jumps back to LTE once you are finished.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

I have actually noticed this myself when in the Bronx and working in Manhattan myself that's how is that I was connecting to that was band 41 I'm only connecting at band 25 and I think it's because the signal is stronger and it doesn't she need a reason to kick up to the higher frequency!there are areas that I was getting band 41 that I'm not doing it anymore as of the past 2 weeks!

It really depends on where you go, and how long you wait in one location before moving on. You can pick up active B41 all down 5th avenue in Midtown, as long as you stand in one place for a while.

so I got my M8 yesterday and got a 1x800 call right at the tower in Myrtle Beach but this morning I was right at the tower in Little River where I work and it used 1900 and this tower was one of the first in the area to get 1x800. I know the network can decide so I'm going with that but then I did a test. I went to the fringe area between 2 towers know to have 1x800 and it still connected to a horrible 1900 signal. I was watching the signal on signal check and as soon as it went to 1x800 I immediately made a phone call and it connected to the horrible 1900 signal. Anyone one experience this? I know they havent finished the upgrades in the area yet but theses 2 towers have been live for 3 months or so, not sure if that will have an effect or not. What's your experience with 1x800 in fringe areas? 

On a side note When I drove by a non upgraded site my phone didn't pick up the tower but today it did normally.