LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

So variances don't matter then... 

attachicon.gifScreenshot from 2015-04-09 15:07:51.png

T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon all fall within each other's margins of error, so there's no clear speed winner here, hence the 3-way tie.  You could test all the networks again within a week and it could swing back to T-Mobile or Verizon recording the fastest median.

Hey, they won!  Get over it.  You're pissing me off, pal.  This is not one speed test.  It's thousands.  And a full meg difference in download is a clear winner in download.

• Like 4

Hey, jackass,  They won!  Get over it.  You're pissing me off, pal.  This is not one speed test.  It's thousands.  And a full meg difference in download is a clear winner in download.

Well not according to root it isn't.

I rest my case.

• Like 1

Well not according to root it isn't.

I rest my case.

Root shows that Sprint won in download.  They only show Tmo tied in overall data speed when counting upload speeds as part of the equation.

• Like 1

This RootMetrics bickering needs to stop.  In the immortal words of that cracked out prophet...

Think of the older people and the kids, please.

AJ

• Like 2

T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon all fall within each other's margins of error, so there's no clear speed winner here, hence the 3-way tie.  You could test all the networks again within a week and it could swing back to T-Mobile or Verizon recording the fastest median.

Yes and no. I'd tend to think the one that has the 1 mb/s greater median download with a 20% smaller 95% confidence interval likely has the faster download speed.

Yes and no. I'd tend to think the one that has the 1 mb/s greater median download with a 20% smaller 95% confidence interval likely has the faster download speed.

And I would say that over 25,000 tests conducted across greater than 1100 miles driven would be enough to invoke the Law of large numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers

The variance is interesting for standard deviation.  But it should not affect the median or average.  Run the same tests again next week, and I would expect notably similar results.

AJ

The variance is interesting for standard deviation.  But it should not affect the median or average.  Run the same tests again next week, and I would expect notably similar results.

AJ

That is more or less what I was trying to say, not as well as you put it. I don't see how invoking variance helps his argument here. They're using median, a measure already designed to reduce the effects of variance. Added to that they're giving you 95% CI or error bars. Sprint's is approximately 20% smaller than T-Mobile. On both counts 1) the median d/l being about 1 mb/s higher and 2) standard deviation for Sprint's results being smaller, Sprint's download speeds are statistically significantly better. And yes, with the large sample size, similar results should be expected if the experiment was repeated.

AJ

Variance matters when you're trying to apply the statistics to a real life decision; for example if you need consistent speeds more than fast peak speeds, that might be something to consider. But you've also got to consider the circumstances as well if you want to apply statistics to a real-world experience. With Sprint still finishing up its network vision upgrades I'd expect to see more variance in it's performance. If we were to run the same tests again next week I'd expect similar results; next month or next quarter Its I'd expect better overall results with less variance. That would be consistent with the trend of the results we've seen over the last year or so, and with the fact that we know that network improvements are ongoing. 

Was at the Duck Commander 500 last night. -98dBm band 41 and it seemed over capacity. Couldn't get web pages to load or Hangouts to send.

No idea if they had COWs or anything to supplement capacity, but it seems that they should put extra effort into events that carry the Sprint branding.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Was at the Duck Commander 500 last night. -98dBm band 41 and it seemed over capacity. Couldn't get web pages to load or Hangouts to send.

No idea if they had COWs or anything to supplement capacity, but it seems that they should put extra effort into events that carry the Sprint branding.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Sadly the advertising department and deployment department probably don't talk as much as they should. They might have thought that the existing towers would be more than enough capacity for the event, or just not thought about it at all.

But I agree that they should make sure that they conver all major events better (especially if they're a sponsor) because customers will remember a bad experience like you're describing.

Have sprint started deployment spark cells (Band 41 small cells)? I know they stated back in December that small cells will play a huge role for 2015 but I don't think we heard anything yet...

Only in FITs for testing purposes. Mass deployments of small cells have not begun yet. 

They definitely need small cells along the piers in Frisco ca data stinks. Voice and text is perfect

Really? I seem to recall that LTE (Band25) was good enough for web browsing and Facebook last time I was walking though the piers.

Are you using a triband device?

Really? I seem to recall that LTE (Band25) was good enough for web browsing and Facebook last time I was walking though the piers.

Are you using a triband device?

Yeah it's a triband.

It's just inside I don't get any lte

• 1 month later...

Also noticed 2x the upload speeds during 2XCA testing, good to see that as well.

Yeah no. There are no carrier aggregating of uplink. 

No existing UE will have that capability until later this year or next year and will most likely be included with the 3xCA devices. All CA certified devices are specifically only for downlink CA and no other LTE advance technologies. 

The PCC will provide the downlink and uplink and the SCC will provide downlink to be aggregated. Uplink on SCC is unused. 

See: 

mXuK3tz.png

Multiple the theoretical max download speeds of a 20 mhz carrier by 2 and you get the theoretical maximum of 2xB41 carrier aggregation downlink speeds. 

• Like 2

No existing UE will have that capability until later this year or next year and will most likely be included with the 3xCA devices. All CA certified devices are specifically only for downlink CA and no other LTE advance technologies. 

The PCC will provide the downlink and uplink and the SCC will provide downlink to be aggregated. Uplink on SCC is unused. 

See: 

Multiple the theoretical max download speeds of a 20 mhz carrier by 2 and you get the theoretical maximum of 2xB41 carrier aggregation downlink speeds.

So its safe to say its device limited and technically possible to CA the uplink.

I saw it on signal research testing(page 11on PDF), but it looks like it came from some type of software tool that they use to test cellular tech and not the Samsung note edge device they used as well.

So its safe to say its device limited and technically possible to CA the uplink.

I saw it on signal research testing(page 11on PDF), but it looks like it came from some type of software tool that they use to test cellular tech and not the Samsung note edge device they used as well.

Whatever tools they have does not represent what commercialy available devices are capable of. Uplink CA will be coming in later releases. 

It is a good indicator of what future performance increases will be when the devices that are capable of it are released along with it being enabled on the network.

Whatever tools they have does not represent what commercialy available devices are capable of. Uplink CA will be coming in later releases. 

It is a good indicator of what future performance increases will be when the devices that are capable of it are released along with it being enabled on the network.

Definitely makes more sense on this thread, thx Tim.

BTW probably should move this one as well..

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6319-marcelo-claure-town-hall-meetings-new-family-share-pack-plan-unlimited-individual-plan-discussion-thread/?p=421755

• 4 weeks later...

See: 

mXuK3tz.png

Why wouldn't it aggregate uplink in TDD configuration? The same spectrum is being used in time slots.

Why wouldn't it aggregate uplink in TDD configuration? The same spectrum is being used in time slots.

UE and RAN limitation. Device makers need to add another transmitting radio to transmit another uplink stream back to the towers to take advantage of the sccs uplink.

In addition to compatible devices Sprint and vendors need to push LTE rel 11/12 software that actually enables uplink CA. Not expected til next year as they only just began pushing some major LTE rel 10 software like B41 2xCA only just recently. 

Sent from my Nexus 5