Network Vision/LTE - Central Illinois Market (Peoria, Springfield, Quincy, Bloomington/Normal, Terre Haute)

DaQue

I've seen only sporadic flashes of 4G in Champaign-Urbana but 3G speeds seem to have improved, at least overnight when demand is low.  My guess is that NV equipment has been installed on many/most of the towers and testing is going on.   The big unknown is how long it will take for the upgraded backhaul to arrive.  

I agree 3G speeds have defiantly improved...Yesterday on campus I was getting 2.21mbps up and .92mbps down...It was pretty great...I spoke with someone on Sprint's Chat on their website and they said that I should expect LTE by March...We shall see if they actually know what they are talking about.

I drove to Mahomet last week and was able to pickup LTE on my iPhone -- hoping that means it's that much closer to being in CU!

I've seen only sporadic flashes of 4G in Champaign-Urbana but 3G speeds seem to have improved, at least overnight when demand is low. My guess is that NV equipment has been installed on many/most of the towers and testing is going on. The big unknown is how long it will take for the upgraded backhaul to arrive.

Where in champaign-Urbana have you seen flashes of 4G? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main tower in downtown Peoria needs backhaul upgrades badly.  My office is in the same city block and at the same level within 100ft of the tower.  I did make it into to work on Monday and with a lot of people not going to work that day in downtown, I was only able to pull 800kbps down with a 3g phone.  For that day, with probably as few people in downtown compared to normal, I think I finally determine it is a backhaul issue (I have suspected that for over a year)

The Four Points Sheraton, where the tower is on top of the building, is being remodeled so I am wondering if Sprint is waiting till the remodel is done to upgrade the backhaul.

will be Sprint really be as good as what they say they will be? for years theyve been telling me that they are updating towers with speeds sometimes like 0.02 download and 0.01 upload sometimes I wonder and they started lte around here but for months theres been no progress and no lte at home but lte 10 minutes away... I'm just wondering rather to stick it out anymore... unlimited does me no good if I cant use internet...

will be Sprint really be as good as what they say they will be? for years theyve been telling me that they are updating towers with speeds sometimes like 0.02 download and 0.01 upload sometimes I wonder and they started lte around here but for months theres been no progress and no lte at home but lte 10 minutes away... I'm just wondering rather to stick it out anymore... unlimited does me no good if I cant use internet...

There are already quite a few LTE sites live around the Peoria area. Haven't you used them, yet? It should be evidence that the upgrade is occurring.

Samsung has pretty much finished all the physical upgrades to the network in the Peoria area. However, the LTE can only be turned on at each site as high speed internet backhaul arrives and is connected. So the remaining sites around Peoria will come online one at a time over the next 6 months or so.

Sprint is a mobile wireless service. It is not a home ISP. Most of us don't use LTE in our home, we use WiFi. We use LTE where we go. I personally don't care if my home has LTE, I just need a strong voice signal at home. But ideally, I would like LTE from my driveway and the places I go from there. And maybe that's what you mean when you say you want LTE at home. If you are only looking to use Sprint unlimited because you want to use it at home, let me be the first to encourage you to switch providers.

I think you can expect to have a pretty consistent coverage area around Peoria within 6 months. Especially if you have a device that supports Band 26 by then.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Robert! You're always very helpful. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll wait it out a few more months.

There are already quite a few LTE sites live around the Peoria area. Haven't you used them, yet? It should be evidence that the upgrade is occurring.Samsung has pretty much finished all the physical upgrades to the network in the Peoria area. However, the LTE can only be turned on at each site as high speed internet backhaul arrives and is connected. So the remaining sites around Peoria will come online one at a time over the next 6 months or so.Sprint is a mobile wireless service. It is not a home ISP. Most of us don't use LTE in our home, we use WiFi. We use LTE where we go. I personally don't care if my home has LTE, I just need a strong voice signal at home. But ideally, I would like LTE from my driveway and the places I go from there. And maybe that's what you mean when you say you want LTE at home. If you are only looking to use Sprint unlimited because you want to use it at home, let me be the first to encourage you to switch providers.I think you can expect to have a pretty consistent coverage area around Peoria within 6 months. Especially if you have a device that supports Band 26 by then.Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I don't have wifi at home or lte outside that's why I want 4G at home. Lol. Plus I use my phone for everything seeing I'm broke and have no computer. :-/. That's what makes it frustrating. I'm just gonna hold out for now. Can't afford the big red... Thanks for all the info on here about sprint. Gotta say it's been real helpful

Hello all, I'm not much of a poster but here goes. I received this message from Sprint on 1-18-14 message below.

SprintFreeMsg: Over the next month the new network will be largely completed in your area making it better than ever! http://sprint.us/network1 Reply S to stop.

So the long wait for Champaign-Urbana Lte may be over.

My iPhone 5C has been changing from 3G to 1x all day here in Champaign - Urbana.....sign of upgrades? :)

Also might add that I have had mostly full bars all day....

Edited by blc95

Hello all, I'm not much of a poster but here goes. I received this message from Sprint on 1-18-14 message below.

SprintFreeMsg: Over the next month the new network will be largely completed in your area making it better than ever! http://sprint.us/network1 Reply S to stop.

So the long wait for Champaign-Urbana Lte may be over.

Don't read to much into it. People ALL OVER THE COUNTRY have gotten that text. I just got it as well here in Springfield Mo, and I know for a fact that the network here won't be anywhere near complete in a month.

• Like 1

a bit disappointed, was in springfield for a business trip and still no LTE, had LTE most of the way from Chicago to Springfield on I-55 but not within Springfield proper

The issue in Springfield must be the backhaul provider in that locale. All the sites have been upgraded and waiting for backhaul. Almost every other city has at least one site running LTE. Except for Bloomington.

This is more of a general question (sorry if there's a more appropriate page on which to post this.) I know a lot of sites are waiting on backhaul for LTE to become active. My question is will there be a noticeable improvement in data speed over 3G once new fiber is in place or will it only affect LTE?

This is more of a general question (sorry if there's a more appropriate page on which to post this.) I know a lot of sites are waiting on backhaul for LTE to become active. My question is will there be a noticeable improvement in data speed over 3G once new fiber is in place or will it only affect LTE?

3G speeds once the fiber connection is in place will probably improve (I don't know what speeds you are seeing now) to near its theoretical maximum assuming the air-link isn't over saturated.

3G speeds once the fiber connection is in place will probably improve (I don't know what speeds you are seeing now) to near its theoretical maximum assuming the air-link isn't over saturated.

That was my suspicion. Thanks for the update.

Champaign Urbana does not have any LTE site active as far as I can tell. I am all over the twin cities regularly and only get 3G. Usually at very low speeds like .04 down and .3 up. The only place I find LTE is outside of town, it truly is quite maddening at times. Hurry up and wait in CU while every podunk town around you enjoys lighting fast Internet. Sometimes Sprint makes me so angry.

• Like 1

Robert, I know you dont speak for Sprint but I dont really understand; it seems that all the cities in central Illinois are not covered and all the roads outside of town are. Forgive my ignorance but can you explain this. I live in (C-U) Champaign-Urbana and am all over town and there are no LTE site active. Now if I go out of town evrything is great. Are they stuck on backhaul or regulatory problems in the cities?

Thanks in advance for helping me understand.

Robert, I know you dont speak for Sprint but I dont really understand; it seems that all the cities in central Illinois are not covered and all the roads outside of town are. Forgive my ignorance but can you explain this. I live in (C-U) Champaign-Urbana and am all over town and there are no LTE site active. Now if I go out of town evrything is great. Are they stuck on backhaul or regulatory problems in the cities?

Thanks in advance for helping me understand.

Most of the Central Illinois market has all their equipment upgraded and ready for LTE. So any site that does not have LTE live, it is most often backhaul related.

Rural areas are much more likely to get backhaul sooner. I know it seems strange, but rural sites are often along major highways with fiber running right along the site. And when they are not, access is often easier because trenching in farm areas as there is typically just dirt in between fiber and the site. Not roads, concrete, buildings, etc.