Network Vision/LTE - Central Illinois Market (Peoria, Springfield, Quincy, Bloomington/Normal, Terre Haute)

DaQue

So this may be a stupid question, but since more and more sites around Champaign-Urbana are becoming 3G/800/LTE Sites, I've decided to keep checking on towers that are close to my frequent locations to see if I can see any upgrades taking place.....anything in particular I should look for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this may be a stupid question, but since more and more sites around Champaign-Urbana are becoming 3G/800/LTE Sites, I've decided to keep checking on towers that are close to my frequent locations to see if I can see any upgrades taking place.....anything in particular I should look for? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than NV panels, you can look for crews working, or look for signs of a freshly trenched ground for the fiber or the orange conduit coming out of the ground. NV panels are all part of the main installation. They cover 1900 voice and LTE/800 voice and LTE. Once those are up, your tower is "In Progress."

• Like 1

I heard from someone that some the sites in central Illinois that have seen essentially no movement (e.g. Bloomington, Springfield, C-U) are designated as "problem areas" by Sprint. Regardless of the accuracy of this claim, is there any reason that upgrades in these areas are taking so long? Obviously, I get that it is all about the backhaul and not Sprint's fault exactly, I just still fail to see why these areas are posing such a problem. And I get that places off highways and near existing fiber are easier to upgrade, but why is the backhaul upgrade so hard for Bloomington, but other metro areas have seen plenty of upgrades in the time it has taken for Bloomington to see exactly zero LTE active sites? Makes zero sense to me.

DeKalb still has more sites without LTE than with and we've had gear on the tower for almost two years.

Many of the problems in Central Illinois are in CenturyLink areas. CL has been a major problem supplying backhaul for Sprint. If you are in a CL market and still do not have Sprint LTE, the wait may still be awhile.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9u87aosolox1w6/lecmap.pdf ;-)

Wouldn't Sprint's contracts with the backhaul providers include failure to perform clauses that would allow them to engage alternate providers at some point? If such clauses exist, why would Sprint put up with such lengthy delays from the contracted providers? Are there not viable alternative backhaul providers in these markets, or are there other considerations that make switching providers impractical?

There are always alternatives. I've offered backhaul services to Sprint (though likely never reached the right people). The biggest delay I'd really have is a couple months from start to finish.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I dont think it will be a year from now. Sprint plans to be wrapping up things by the middle of the year. It will be great to see Sprint launch LTe in Peoria, Washington, Morton, And Pekin. Also does anyone know what is going on in Glaesburg they were the first area to start seeing LTE and they still dont have anything in Galesburg. Is everyhting on delay because of the Freezing Temps. TIRED OF WINTER. Spring Pleaase.

Crews work all winter.

Other than NV panels, you can look for crews working, or look for signs of a freshly trenched ground for the fiber or the orange conduit coming out of the ground. NV panels are all part of the main installation. They cover 1900 voice and LTE/800 voice and LTE. Once those are up, your tower is "In Progress."

or microwave dishes.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

While driving on empire by Bloomington country club I saw fiber being trenched. It was right near the Sprint tower. Hoping it won't be to much longer.

Good lookin out :)

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

A couple of weeks ago there were sprint vehicles at a U.S. Cellular tower outside of Mackinaw And now it seems that there is Samsung network vision equipement on it. Any Ideas? My phone also goes from Sprint 1x800 from the tower in Morton and then to 1xRTT and it says I am on sprint and get almost full bars but my phone still says I am roaming on Sprint. Could it be a transition from U.S. Cellular tower to Sprint.

( U.S. Cellular has 3 Towers in a 5 Mile Radius.)

First Band 26 sites accepted in the Central Illinois market. Details in the Premier Sponsor B26/LTE 800 thread.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Peoria, Pekin, Morton, and Washington have officially been added to the sprint LTE markets. Coverage maps on the website confirm it. they will probably announce it on Monday like they have been doing lately.

• Like 1

Sprint Network in Peoria and the surrounding areas went down last night if anyone had issues yesterday and into last night. 

• Like 1

Well I can get LTE around Rantoul, IL...I've got it in Mahomet, St. Joe, Tuscola, Fisher before...That pretty much covers all towns surrounding Champaign-Urbana, so maybe we're next? Wishful thinking! ;)

Just drove by a tower on University Ave in Urbana and noticed all kind of orange flags, as well as an orange pole that said "Warning fiber optic cable"........so I'm assuming and hoping that this is for the tower? If it is, how long do you think it will take to put in and enable LTE?

Sprint Towers Down Around Morton. The Tower on Queenwood has Technical Service Bulletin Out for repairs.Seems like Sprint has had a lot of problems with the towers in Central Illinois.

Edited by 9690austin
  • Like 1

There is a tower being built on route 9 going towards after Danvers going towards Mackinaw. Its a Mono-Pole. Any words on if it could be Sprint theres no equipment on it yet but there is a small slab that looks like Sprint or Tmobile. Also Sprint has limited coverage there and it would fill in the area where sprint bought U.S Cellular. ANy thoughts or Info.

• Like 1

More LTE popping up in Galesburg and even though its not for this market talk it popping up in Burlington Iowa. 

LTE popping up in Urbana, IL around Windsor and Philo Road!

Don't get your hopes up, it is likely just testing as we have been seeing all over Champaign County for months now.   Unfortunately, no signs of upgraded backhaul, which is needed before 4G goes live for real.

If LTE is broadcasting on any sort of permanent basis, it should have a back haul live. We have had the equipment installed here for about 2 years, but no back all so no LTE. And 1 mile turn left

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1