Network Vision/LTE - Central Illinois Market (Peoria, Springfield, Quincy, Bloomington/Normal, Terre Haute)

DaQue

Bloomington still seems to be in the dark, though the Sprint site says there have been 22 data speed upgrades in the last 6 months. I can only conclude if they have done the upgrades, they haven't turned the LTE cells on as data can be next to non-existent throughout town.

BTW - Hi.  I've been lurking for some time.  Just donated to become a sponsoring member.  Thanks for all the info!

Bloomington still seems to be in the dark, though the Sprint site says there have been 22 data speed upgrades in the last 6 months. I can only conclude if they have done the upgrades, they haven't turned the LTE cells on as data can be next to non-existent throughout town.

BTW - Hi.  I've been lurking for some time.  Just donated to become a sponsoring member.  Thanks for all the info!

:welcome:

Once your account is upgraded, you'll be able to see the maps which track the NV rollout. You'll notice that none of the sites have had LTE accepted yet. Equipment is installed, but the internet backhaul needed for LTE hasn't been delivered yet.

Once your account is upgraded, you'll be able to see the maps which track the NV rollout. You'll notice that none of the sites have had LTE accepted yet. Equipment is installed, but the internet backhaul needed for LTE hasn't been delivered yet.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does that indicate as far as a possible timeline for 4g being accepted at Bloomington sites? Soon?

Forgive my ignorance, but what does that indicate as far as a possible timeline for 4g being accepted at Bloomington sites? Soon?

Well, it means we really don't have any idea. The equipment is there, but Sprint is waiting on the local ISP's (ie AT&T, Charter, Cox, CenturyLink etc.) to get the proper backhaul in place. These companies have a habit of dragging their feet and not delivering on time. It's likely Sprint doesn't even know when LTE will start going live.

Well, it means we really don't have any idea. The equipment is there, but Sprint is waiting on the local ISP's (ie AT&T, Charter, Cox, CenturyLink etc.) to get the proper backhaul in place. These companies have a habit of dragging their feet and not delivering on time. It's likely Sprint doesn't even know when LTE will start going live.

Haha I was afraid that's what you were going to say. Thanks for the info, regardless.

Monticello, Pesotum, Farmer City and, east of Springfield along I-72 have 4g now.

Wish they would get the Mahomet tower activated.

Really? How about the stretch along lake springfield shared with I-55?

Will be great if I can have 4G while I'm in Springfield in Jan for business travel

I'm just waiting for the Peoria IL. to become LTE live? they've been working on 4G for a few months. not really any progress lately... :-/

I've been able to pick up LTE in parts of Peoria, East Peoria, Morton, Pekin & Tremont since October. 

The sensorly maps show some pretty decent coverage there, though they still may be working to fill it out.  The tower updates for NV on this site in the members area show some towers are still 3G only.

:welcome:

I've seen the map now, still a bit confused.  The Peoria area only has about half its towers accepted on LTE.  Would it be reasonable to conclude the others will become LTE as well, or is the plan to only upgrade SOME towers and not all?  Will it be teh same for Bloomington?

I have noticed that since the leaves have come down, my LTE coverage has improved.  Its usable outside my house and I actually get signal inside my house.   Hopefully some of the closer towers will go LTE before spring... 

anyone have inside information when Peoria IL. area become LTE complete? no progress past month or so it seems

I know its difficult, but just be patient. Our gear has been in place for 15+ months.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any information on Champaign Urbana? I see some spotty 4G coverage on sensorly maps around savoy, as well as some pretty good 4G coverage in Mahomet.....

Also I was in tuscola, il a few days ago and had LTE - very fast speeds!!! :)

Edited by blc95

I've seen only sporadic flashes of 4G in Champaign-Urbana but 3G speeds seem to have improved, at least overnight when demand is low.  My guess is that NV equipment has been installed on many/most of the towers and testing is going on.   The big unknown is how long it will take for the upgraded backhaul to arrive.