Network Vision/LTE - Central Illinois Market (Peoria, Springfield, Quincy, Bloomington/Normal, Terre Haute)

DaQue

Most of the Central Illinois market has all their equipment upgraded and ready for LTE. So any site that does not have LTE live, it is most often backhaul related. Rural areas are much more likely to get backhaul sooner. I know it seems strange, but rural sites are often along major highways with fiber running right along the site. And when they are not, access is often easier because trenching in farm areas as there is typically just dirt in between fiber and the site. Not roads, concrete, buildings, etc. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Okay thanks, that does make sense. Is there a projected time frame for the backhaul in the cities or is that totally up in the air? Based on vendor?

Okay thanks, that does make sense. Is there a projected time frame for the backhaul in the cities or is that totally up in the air? Based on vendor?

It is highly variable.  We will continue to see sites go live every week.  I think Sprint will likely be substantially complete with all backhaul in 5-6 months.  With only a site here or there continuing without because of specific problems.  I hope Sprint just uses microwave to any remaining problematic sites.

Robert

It is highly variable.  We will continue to see sites go live every week.  I think Sprint will likely be substantially complete with all backhaul in 5-6 months.  With only a site here or there continuing without because of specific problems.  I hope Sprint just uses microwave to any remaining problematic sites.

Robert

Really you think it could be as far out as 5-6 months Wow. I was hoping for sooner but I've been with Sprint since 1995 whats a few more months. Thanks for the input have a great weekend.

Really you think it could be as far out as 5-6 months Wow. I was hoping for sooner but I've been with Sprint since 1995 whats a few more months. Thanks for the input have a great weekend.

In parts of northern Illinois, backhaul has taken a year or more to be installed, so 5-6 months sounds pretty good.

I have the iphone 5. supposedly this tower at a place where I'm at has 800 band now, but dont get no reception in basement. how do I get my phone to get the 800 band?

The iPhone will not search out CDMA 800 unless it has absolutely zero signal on 1900. There is no way around this except to install a custom PRL. Which involves jailbreaking.

But also, there is no guarantee that the 800 is even live. 800 signals still come and go in the early stage.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Ok. Thanks

The iPhone will not search out CDMA 800 unless it has absolutely zero signal on 1900. There is no way around this except to install a custom PRL. Which involves jailbreaking. But also, there is no guarantee that the 800 is even live. 800 signals still come and go in the early stage. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I'm just curious how much inclement weather might affect getting in new backhaul? I'm assuming it's more difficult to trench in fiber when it's exceptionally cold, but does that put everything at essentially a standstill until spring in colder climes? (specifically Bloomington/Normal, but seems a valid general question for the areas discussed in this thread) Put another way, are we likely to see much movement in the next month or so? Or will it more likely be a waiting game followed by a flurry of activity once we start getting a good thaw?

I'm just curious how much inclement weather might affect getting in new backhaul? I'm assuming it's more difficult to trench in fiber when it's exceptionally cold, but does that put everything at essentially a standstill until spring in colder climes? (specifically Bloomington/Normal, but seems a valid general question for the areas discussed in this thread) Put another way, are we likely to see much movement in the next month or so? Or will it more likely be a waiting game followed by a flurry of activity once we start getting a good thaw?

At a site that still needs trenching done, frozen ground can make a difference. But not for anything else, really.

At a site that still needs trenching done, frozen ground can make a difference. But not for anything else, really.

There's no way to keep track of which sites still need trenching is there? I.e there's no centralized list or anything of that nature?

There's no way to keep track of which sites still need trenching is there? I.e there's no centralized list or anything of that nature?

We have no access to data like that. That is probably tracked by each Area Manager. Which they need a lot more of, in my opinion.

Anyone seen LTE in Champaign or Urbana lately? I received a text last week that said major updates would be taking place in my area soon.......

Ah, yes, the text message again.  Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go insane...

AJ

• Like 3

On my way home my phone went into roaming and when I checked the network I was it said Sprint. My bars increased once I hit the roaming area but it still continued to say Sprint. I have pictures below.

post-19874-0-22717600-1391978260_thumb.png

Then I thought that 1x800 would increase in coverage but it hasn't so far. It has been live for about four or five months and it gets the same signal strengths as 1900Mhz. Does Sprint limit the distance until everything is launched fully.

post-19874-0-87232500-1391978469_thumb.png

Other than that look at the speeds I was getting while sitting in Morton Krogers Parking Lot. 

30 Mbs down and 10 Mbs down. Sorry picture wouldnt upload..

Ah, yes, the text message again.  Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go insane...

AJ

Sorry, AJ, you've already left that milestone waaaaay in the past. ;)

Heading towards Tuscola, IL; about 15-20 mins outside of Champaign - Urbana and my phone switches to LTE....the wait is killing me!! CU NEEDS LTE!

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We feel your pain here in Bloomington/Normal. LTE is all around here, just taunting us with its glory.

Is it possible to have just a Data tower without voice on it? Because i passed a tower that has new antennas and the whole nine yards but that's all it has is the lte. 

Champaign Urbana does not have any LTE site active as far as I can tell. I am all over the twin cities regularly and only get 3G. Usually at very low speeds like .04 down and .3 up. The only place I find LTE is outside of town, it truly is quite maddening at times. Hurry up and wait in CU while every podunk town around you enjoys lighting fast Internet. Sometimes Sprint makes me so angry.

My experience has been that 3G in C-U is on average much improved over a year ago.   I am usually seeing 0.3 - 1.0 Mbps downloads, somewhat slower on campus where saturation is highest but rarely below 0.1 down.   What I'm seeing is consistent with NV tower upgrades being complete and now just waiting for the backhaul so LTE can be activated.    Here's hoping that happens soon.   

• Like 1

How can you tell of backhaul is being upgraded on a tower? Are "jumpy" speeds in a speed test a sign of this?

My speed tests are resulting in 1-1.5 Mbps (or lower) for upload and download, but they jump to 2-3 Mbps throughout the test.....all sites in my area are 3G/800......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk