Network Vision/LTE - Central Illinois Market (Peoria, Springfield, Quincy, Bloomington/Normal, Terre Haute)

DaQue

On sprints website that shows what towers have had updates usually the ones that have been Activated say two Data speed upgrades. Is this how they label Lte towers. Maybe one 3g upgrade and The other Lte. Also why dont they label anything on the towers about upgrading to 800mhz as voice upgrade.

On sprints website that shows what towers have had updates usually the ones that have been Activated say two Data speed upgrades. Is this how they label Lte towers. Maybe one 3g upgrade and The other Lte. Also why dont they label anything on the towers about upgrading to 800mhz as voice upgrade.

That's what S4GRU is for.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Service was horrendous today in the Rushville area. From what I saw from a distance it looked like new equipment was being installed/hooked up. Calls were dropping and cutting out with decent signal. Since I don't have a 4G phone I can't say if it was turned on but I suspect they are close to turning this area up.

Spoke to onsite techs at the 30th and Oak tower in Quincy, IL at the end of last week.  They were just finishing the upgrade.   I asked how long until it was turned on and they said it has been running two days for integration.  We should see LTE up and going from this site early this week.   Hopefully my long, long, long wait will soon be over.

Over the past few weeks I have been getting over 1mbps on eharp in downtown Bloomington in the morning, the afternoon it is not nearly as fast, this morning there was no 3g service. Is this what happens when they are upgrading towers to lte?

Over the past few weeks I have been getting over 1mbps on eharp in downtown Bloomington in the morning, the afternoon it is not nearly as fast, this morning there was no 3g service. Is this what happens when they are upgrading towers to lte

Yes usually upgrades is the cause of service issues. and on sensorly it shows lte just west of Bloomington on 122

• Like 1

Sprint is really picking up the pace in the Peoria market! Loving the fact that I'm almost always seeing 4g between Washington/Peoria/Morton!

I don't currently have a 4G LTE phone, but I am hoping the Metamora/Germantown Hills Towers are less sporadic.  It will be nice when I get an LTE phone (cue Sprint getting a Nokia Windows Phone) and since I am at Five Points in Washington a lot.

Also I hope the downtown (Peoria) tower gets upgraded to LTE since it is either on top of my work building or within the same city block, there is no where in that building I don't have 5 bars :)

Hi, first post, and I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge on how the implementation of LTE works.

I live in the neighborhood directly to the left of the "oakwood rd" label on these maps(on the zoomed map, the Coventry ln area).  As you can see, there is no 3g or LTE in that neighborhood.  I literally get .12 mb download speeds on a good day. 

The LTE thats is going up in my area has spread a little, so I'm wondering if once the tower supplying this area is finished, if the signal will get longer and spread to my neighborhood.  I now get LTE at work which is in Morton, IL and if I drive 8 mins from my house, I get LTE.  Just not at my house. (WTF).  Calling sprint is no help.  Wondering if anyone here can give some insight into my problem.

9xhd.png

5b6x.png

4ger.png

Generally speaking, if you get Sprint 3G at your house you will probably get LTE. When LTE on 800 is deployed on your tower you should see a stronger signal. These are general observations based on what has happened so far with NV. However, every site is different and may perform differently than other sites. Also, you should be using wifi at home.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I live in the neighborhood directly to the left of the "oakwood rd" label on these maps(on the zoomed map, the Coventry ln area).  As you can see, there is no 3g or LTE in that neighborhood.  I literally get .12 mb download speeds on a good day. 

The LTE thats is going up in my area has spread a little, so I'm wondering if once the tower supplying this area is finished, if the signal will get longer and spread to my neighborhood.  I now get LTE at work which is in Morton, IL and if I drive 8 mins from my house, I get LTE.  Just not at my house.

Understand that Sensorly does not show where the signal actually is, but only shows where people have detected a signal while mapping with Sensorly.  What you are seeing on the LTE map are tracks as people drove on specific roads -- the blank spaces don't necessarily mean that LTE isn't there.

And, as CDK noted, Central Illinois is a work in progress.  If you were to become a sponsor ( [Become an S4GRU Sponsor] ) you would be able to see all 3G-4G-800 Voice upgraded Sprint sites, and when 800 LTE and 2500-2600 LTE sites are reported to Robert, he has said he will post those too.

Understand that Sensorly does not show where the signal actually is, but only shows where people have detected a signal while mapping with Sensorly.  What you are seeing on the LTE map are tracks as people drove on specific roads -- the blank spaces don't necessarily mean that LTE isn't there.

And, as CDK noted, Central Illinois is a work in progress.  If you were to become a sponsor ( [Become an S4GRU Sponsor] ) you would be able to see all 3G-4G-800 Voice upgraded Sprint sites, and when 800 LTE and 2500-2600 LTE sites are reported to Robert, he has said he will post those too.

Yea, the sensorly maps were just posted more as reference to the area.  But what you see there is generally what I see real time as for speed.  I've tested all over the place over there and really that neighborhood is where its the worst.

As for wifi(newboyx's comment)  I do have to use wifi at home, but obviously don't pay sprint for wifi.  At times when my power goes out, having a reliable data connection would be nice.

Granted that neighborhood isn't the only place I don't get acceptable 3G(or LTE).  Downtown E. Peoria, is pretty bad as well.

Edited by joybulb

Like I said, Central Illinois speeds are sporadic.  My work today was 110kb/s download where it was 1065kb/s the other day (my work is downtown Peoria, but in the same city block as the tower, at the same height as it and within 150ft so I get 5 bars at all times).  Tested at my house in Germantown Hills this morning with 567kb/s down and 605kb/s up, just tested at 9:30pm and got the fastest speeds I have ever seen at my house with 2153kb/s down and 890kb/s up.  It was late enough in the morning where most people had left Germantown for work already so it is not congestion.  I also have the HTC Arrive (older phone) which is 3G only otherwise I would post some other speeds and info

Edit

Ping speeds were the same in the morning and at night.

And, as CDK noted, Central Illinois is a work in progress. If you were to become a sponsor ( [Become an S4GRU Sponsor] ) you would be able to see all 3G-4G-800 Voice upgraded Sprint sites, and when 800 LTE and 2500-2600 LTE sites are reported to Robert, he has said he will post those too.

After becoming a sponsor, where would I go to view the above mentioned info?

After becoming a sponsor, where would I go to view the above mentioned info?

Just scroll down on the main forums page and you'll see a section labeled the S4GRU lounge.

• 3 weeks later...

Sprint fared well in the tornado in Washington.   I'm about 5 miles North and actually switched over to the towers in Washington for a while right after the storm as my local tower at Lords road and 116 went down and still was down this morning when I left for work.  The rest of Sunday I was on towers in North Peoria and Chillcothe.  However on the way to work in I pass near  the Washington towers on Cummmnigs Lane and switched to it with 4G.  I didn't make a call but it showed up as the tower I was connected to.

I talked with several first responders on the scene and they reported no cell service but after talking with them it sounded more like overloaded towers more than no service.  Text messages would go through eventually and voice service was very spotty but their phones didn't actually show no service.

Everyone ok from Washington IL.?

Sprint fared well in the tornado in Washington.   I'm about 5 miles North and actually switched over to the towers in Washington for a while right after the storm as my local tower at Lords road and 116 went down and still was down this morning when I left for work.  The rest of Sunday I was on towers in North Peoria and Chillcothe.  However on the way to work in I pass near  the Washington towers on Cummmnigs Lane and switched to it with 4G.  I didn't make a call but it showed up as the tower I was connected to.I talked with several first responders on the scene and they reported no cell service but after talking with them it sounded more like overloaded towers more than no service.  Text messages would go through eventually and voice service was very spotty but their phones didn't actually show no service.