LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

Did your install finish?  If so do you have any first impressions?  If you are in an area with LTE, any RF performance differences?

Seems snappier, Knock on/off is quicker to respond.  Have to drive toward a 4G at lunch to see if anything is better.

• Like 1

Are the there any chances of bricking my phone if I do the direct download and install that way? Also can we see if anybody else can't do the lte mode only also?

Yeah, this direct download is a new thing for non-rooted phones????

No, ADB sideloading (as it's called) has been around in Android for years.

Are the there any chances of bricking my phone if I do the direct download and install that way? Also can we see if anybody else can't do the lte mode only also?

Not any greater chance than installing the OTA.  The direct download link I posted on XDA is the exact file your phone would (eventually) download and install on its own.

Also, just keep in mind that if you install the update (either by sideloading or once your phone gets the update on its own), you may lose the ability to root your phone for some period of time (ie until a dev figures out a workaround).  So if root is critical to you, you may want to wait until the devs come up with a rooted ZVC firmware you can use.

• Like 1

Not any greater chance than installing the OTA.  The direct download link I posted on XDA is the exact file your phone would (eventually) download and install on its own.

Also, just keep in mind that if you install the update (either by sideloading or once your phone gets the update on its own), you may lose the ability to root your phone for some period of time (ie until a dev figures out a workaround).  So if root is critical to you, you may want to wait until the devs come up with a rooted ZVC firmware you can use.

I don't have my phone rooted. So is it as simple as downloading then clicking install? Never been into rooting so that is why I'm asking is there anything else I have to do other then downloading the zip file.

So I am having some really big issues trying to boot into recovery so I can sideload this thing.  It worked for me before...  Anyone recommend any tips?  Vol- Down + Power button till LG screens appears then let go and do the same right?

After KitKat installed, I can not put my phone in "LTE Only"

5689#*980# was the previous way I did so.

Which option is it under on that menu, i cant find it, im on the pre kitkat update.

Edit: nevermind I accidentally skipped over the menu

Okay I'm new to this sideloading so could you please layout the steps to complete the update in it's entirety.

Thanks! :(

Okay I'm new to this sideloading so could you please layout the steps to complete the update in it's entirety.

Thanks! :(

The XDA threads 99.9% of the time have a step by step guide in the OP.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The XDA threads 99.9% of the time have a step by step guide in the OP.

Would you happen to have a link for that???

If you do a Google search for "adb sideload tutorial" you can find some guides.  Generally speaking, you need to do the following: 1) get the Android debugger (ADB) executable (you can get this from the ioroot rooting tool). 2) install the LG G2 drivers from LG's web site (I believe the TMobile one works since there isn't/wasn't a Sprint-specific driver posted).  3) reboot your phone into recovery mode (you can either use ADB to do this or hold in certain keys while powering on the phone - I'm not 100% sure which they are); 4) run adb.exe from the command line

I think at least 2 people on XDA reported that their phone is now in a boot loop after trying to install the update, so you may want to hold off installing until more people have reported back (I myself have not installed it yet).

• Like 1

If you do a Google search for "adb sideload tutorial" you can find some guides.  Generally speaking, you need to do the following: 1) get the Android debugger (ADB) executable (you can get this from the ioroot rooting tool). 2) install the LG G2 drivers from LG's web site (I believe the TMobile one works since there isn't/wasn't a Sprint-specific driver posted).  3) reboot your phone into recovery mode (you can either use ADB to do this or hold in certain keys while powering on the phone - I'm not 100% sure which they are); 4) run adb.exe from the command line

I think at least 2 people on XDA reported that their phone is now in a boot loop after trying to install the update, so you may want to hold off installing until more people have reported back (I myself have not installed it yet).

Okay great got it and I'll take your advice to hold off....

Force stopped Google services framework and deleted data twice, then quickly checked for manual update and got it!!!!! Amen. Would've ruined my productivity this afternoon.

Edit: Or just coincidence or small window that update worked. 

Here's a generic guide I had for when the n5 finally gets its update. Its the same basic steps.

http://www.androidbeat.com/2013/12/manually-install-android-4-4-2-kitkat-update-nexus-4-nexus-5-nexus-7/

• Like 1

Just a note for the adventurous and impatient type, do not try to adb side load the update. I downloaded the update zip from the google servers and then side loaded it in stock recovery and even on a stock unrooted ZVA build it bricked my phone. This happened to quite a few people apparently and luckily I can restore back to ZV7 when I get a chance. My data was all replaceable on my phone so it's not a big deal but just be patient!