LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

Just connected to band 41 lte in downtown Cleveland without force lte. Stayed connected for 5 minutes and pulled 37mbps down. Then for no reason without moving was tossed back to ehrpd. Any ideas why. That's the longest I ever connected without forcing lte. Signal under - 100. Could they be testing? The duration just does not make sense. Signal Check never registered the connection I checked the debug menu.

Also on the case front I just got my poetic invictus with kickstand and I love the case for my purpose. I don't want screen covered. Case was $9 on Amazon. I also bought a 5 pack of screen protectors. I had purchased a poetic case for my wife's note 10.1 2014 edition last week and it is also high quality. Both cases well reviewed and I am extremely happy with them.

While typing just swapped back to LTE and was booted off via text message and did not reconnect. Now actually on 1x.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

B41 LTE testing with the current G2 firmware is flaky. I posted observations a long time ago that you need to keep pumping traffic through B41 LTE if you want to maintain connection or otherwise it automatically disconnects you after 10-20 seconds.  Also even obtaining a B41 LTE connection is very hard right now especially if you are in an area where there is a lot of B25 LTE.

This is why we need the Spark update as I think the Spark update is more than just flipping the switches on the B26 and B41 LTE bands and getting a new 3G and LTE spark icons but also provides further fixes and updates to maintain a stable B26 and B41 LTE connection.

Also typing or sending a text message does not boot you off LTE to the point where you can't reconnect.  This makes absolutely no sense.  You are trying to correlate B41 LTE connection with texting which does not have any merit given how unstable B41 LTE connection is right now. 

B41 LTE testing with the current G2 firmware is flaky. I posted observations a long time ago that you need to keep pumping traffic through B41 LTE if you want to maintain connection or otherwise it automatically disconnects you after 10-20 seconds.  Also even obtaining a B41 LTE connection is very hard right now especially if you are in an area where there is a lot of B25 LTE.

This is why we need the Spark update as I think the Spark update is more than just flipping the switches on the B26 and B41 LTE bands and getting a new 3G and LTE spark icons but also provides further fixes and updates to maintain a stable B26 and B41 LTE connection.

Also typing or sending a text message does not boot you off LTE to the point where you can't reconnect.  This makes absolutely no sense.  You are trying to correlate B41 LTE connection with texting which does not have any merit given how unstable B41 LTE connection is right now. 

Thank you for this post. This helped me understand how Spark would help more. Last night while sitting the car I was on B25. Eventually went into the school to get my son and my phone switched over to B41. Now the signal was faint but got 2.35mb down on -119. Turns out the tower was closer to me then the B25 tower I was connected to but the B25 tower pretty much overruled the B41 tower. The G2 needs Spark badly.

Thanks for this post again Eric

B41 LTE testing with the current G2 firmware is flaky. I posted observations a long time ago that you need to keep pumping traffic through B41 LTE if you want to maintain connection or otherwise it automatically disconnects you after 10-20 seconds. Also even obtaining a B41 LTE connection is very hard right now especially if you are in an area where there is a lot of B25 LTE.

Also typing or sending a text message does not boot you off LTE to the point where you can't reconnect. This makes absolutely no sense. You are trying to correlate B41 LTE connection with texting which does not have any merit given how unstable B41 LTE connection is right now.

Doesn't the phone switch out of lte to receive a text message? I just never reconnected afterwards. Lots of testing and to be going on in my area today. All Sprint signals up and down and strength wise and swapping.

I seem to have mostly resolved the wifi connectivity issue. I switched channels and encryption protocol. Apparently, my g2 didn't appreciate AES very much. :P Has anyone else seen performance differences with their device when comparing AES to TKIP? If so, are they drastic? I would think AES would be fine with the g2, considering how advanced it is. I consider it to be somewhat unfortunate if I am forced to select TKIP just so I can get a decent connection. That is, unless of course there are settings I can alter in the ##data# screen that can make better use of this encryption. Is there anything I can do now that I have narrowed down the culprit?

Well sent the g2 to lg for the odd high pitch sounds emitting from the camera area. Got the phone back same issue so took it to sprint and getting a replacement. I have seen another issue using chrome. It seems to not load or focus all text in a webpage. As you scroll i need to wit till the text focuses really anoying ended up removing chrome

My g2 does not do that. I think you have a dud

Well sent the g2 to lg for the odd high pitch sounds emitting from the camera area. Got the phone back same issue so took it to sprint and getting a replacement. I have seen another issue using chrome. It seems to not load or focus all text in a webpage. As you scroll i need to wit till the text focuses really anoying ended up removing chrome

Ive been having the exact same issue about web pages not displaying correctly. It is extremely annoying.

Anyone else having issues with the alarm going off? Twice this week I've been late/missed class due to the alarm not going off. I remember this used to be an issue with early android devices and older windows mobile phones.

Anyone else having issues with the alarm going off? Twice this week I've been late/missed class due to the alarm not going off. I remember this used to be an issue with early android devices and older windows mobile phones.

So far i havent but one thing i do notice thats different from my note 2 is when i dismiss a alarm ( ie i have mine set a hour before i am shedueled for work) it will remain on per say or active. Where my note 2 would turn that alarm off or non active unless i turn it on again. Dont know if its a feature or what.

Doesn't the phone switch out of lte to receive a text message? I just never reconnected afterwards. Lots of testing and to be going on in my area today. All Sprint signals up and down and strength wise and swapping.

No, triband devices like the G2 and the N5 send their text messages over LTE.

No, triband devices like the G2 and the N5 send their text messages over LTE.

I'm curious where you got this information, everything I've read says the exact opposite. Just like with phone calls, it utilizes eCSFB to fall back to 1x to download the message, then kicks back to LTE (at least that's the intention).

• Like 1

I'm curious where you got this information, everything I've read says the exact opposite. Just like with phone calls, it utilizes eCSFB to fall back to 1x to download the message, then kicks back to LTE (at least that's the intention).

I  Think I remember AJ saying that while on LTE, the text can tunnel through.  Hopefully I didn't misquote him. 

I  Think I remember AJ saying that while on LTE, the text can tunnel through.  Hopefully I didn't misquote him. 

That is correct.  With e/CSFB, paging channel traffic -- incoming call pages, SMS -- can tunnel through LTE.  This is why those can be received more quickly.  They are no longer beholden to the CDMA1X slot cycle, which typically causes a handset to awaken and listen to its paging channel only every 5.12 sec.

AJ

That is correct.  With e/CSFB, paging channel traffic -- incoming call pages, SMS -- can tunnel through LTE.  This is why those can be received more quickly.  They are no longer beholden to the CDMA1X slot cycle, which typically causes a handset to awaken and listen to its paging channel only every 5.12 sec.

AJ

From what I read on the home page of the forum with they first started noticing issues with the Tri-Band phones they said that when you receive a text you are dropped back to CDMA which is only a fraction of second. Is that enough to know you off B41 if you don't have Spark?

Here is the paragraph from that article where it says it.

"When the Sprint network tries to forward a call/text to your device but cannot see it via CDMA, it then checks for an LTE connection to your device. If it sees one, it tells your device to disconnect from LTE for a moment and reconnect to CDMA. Your device then jumps over to take the call or text on Sprint CDMA and the LTE session is interrupted. This happens very fast and seamlessly. Except for the loss of data availability. If it is just a text, the data session is only interrupted for fractions of a second and is likely not even noticed by the user."

From what I read on the home page of the forum with they first started noticing issues with the Tri-Band phones they said that when you receive a text you are dropped back to CDMA which is only a fraction of second. Is that enough to know you off B41 if you don't have Spark?

Here is the paragraph from that article where it says it.

"When the Sprint network tries to forward a call/text to your device but cannot see it via CDMA, it then checks for an LTE connection to your device. If it sees one, it tells your device to disconnect from LTE for a moment and reconnect to CDMA. Your device then jumps over to take the call or text on Sprint CDMA and the LTE session is interrupted. This happens very fast and seamlessly. Except for the loss of data availability. If it is just a text, the data session is only interrupted for fractions of a second and is likely not even noticed by the user."

That was my understanding as well.  I really hope I am wrong and SMS can arrive via LTE.  Maybe the time that I was booted overlapping with a text was just coincidence, I truly do not know.  I have turned off Band 41 for a few days and just left band 25 on.  With my Note 3 I was getting random band 25 connections and I have yet to connect once in those spots with the G2 so I want to see if with 41 off I can possibly connect to 25 again.  Who knows.  Sprint in Cleveland the last few days has been beyond weird.

From my reading of various Qualcomm and 3GPP standards documents, I believe that I am correct.  But somebody can try an experiment.  Start downloading a large file.  Then, using a different handset or an outside service, send yourself an SMS.  What happens?  It should not cause reselection from LTE to CDMA1X because an SMS is just a few hundred bytes -- not worth switching airlinks.

AJ

• Like 1

From my reading of various Qualcomm and 3GPP standards documents, I believe that I am correct.  But somebody can try an experiment.  Start downloading a large file.  Then, using a different handset or an outside service, send yourself an SMS.  What happens?  It should not cause reselection from LTE to CDMA1X because an SMS is just a few hundred bytes -- not worth switching airlinks.

AJ

That's the same thing that I understood when reading things, that the 1x paging channel is done over the LTE airlink.  You'll switch out of LTE when a voice call is initiated of course.

Well what have you been reading?  I'd trust AJ over just any article on the internet.

From my reading of various Qualcomm and 3GPP standards documents, I believe that I am correct. But somebody can try an experiment. Start downloading a large file. Then, using a different handset or an outside service, send yourself an SMS. What happens? It should not cause reselection from LTE to CDMA1X because an SMS is just a few hundred bytes -- not worth switching airlinks.

AJ

I tried this already. Sent a text during a speed test and no pause in the data session.

Edit: I would also like to note that I haven't received a single late message over LTE which would often happen on 1x

• Like 1

I tried this already. Sent a text during a speed test and no pause in the data session.

Sending and receiving SMS are two different issues.  Which did you do?

AJ

Sending and receiving SMS are two different issues. Which did you do?

AJ

received. Used another phone to send the message while the n5 ran a speed test. Would it really matter of it switched back to 1x when sending since most likely you'd be in the messaging app and not browsing the web

If all the settings are exactly the same, it would only leave a device problem. Also, there is no Band 41 in Harrisburg. Shentel has not worked out an arrangement with Sprint yet for Band 41 deployment. Most likely you just saw your device scan Band 41, not actually complete a connection.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

maybe an issue with his sim card? Try taking it out and putting it back in. Only thing I can think of. Or swap sims and see what happens

Update:  I did swap my son's phone & it continued to have issues (no 4G and frequent "Cannot establish a Wireless Connection".  So just now swapped SIM's from his to mine.  I did see a 4G connection for a bit.  Oh My Phone (with his SIM), I started to get the "Cannot Establish a Wireless Connection" and no 4G).  However, both of us had issues with the SIM's swapped.  His said "Invalid Card" (or Invalid SIM, i forget which). & mine went  to the Self Service menu & told me to reboot, then told me to contact Sprint, so I just swapped them back.  It does seem to be SIM card related.  I'm going to take them into a Sprint store later.  

• Like 1

Yep mine never goes off even when it says it does and the alarm is all the way up. Sometimes it will though