Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

...I don’t see it coming to Verizon. Which is definitely going to suck for all the Sprint users out there, and there are plenty of them believe it or not.

What does he mean by that? Why would it matter to Sprint users if it is available for Verizon?

Wrong! All of you are wrong! Any math nerd will tell you to use the YYYYMMDD format . . .

I'm not going to lie... This is the most logical format for dates. Most significant unit in front, least significant unit at the end.

You don't read 10:30:12 as 10 minutes, 30 seconds, and 12 hours or 10 seconds, 30 minutes, and 12 hours, do you... :P

• Like 1

I'm not going to lie... This is the most logical format for dates. Most significant unit in front, least significant unit at the end.

You don't read 10:30:12 as 10 minutes, 30 seconds, and 12 hours or 10 seconds, 30 minutes, and 12 hours, do you... :P

Negative.  With time of day, the hour is the most important, with the minutes much less so, and the seconds almost completely irrelevant.  With the date, for the current or very recent date, the day is most important, since you can deduce the month based on that if it's within a couple weeks, and you obviously know the year.  Think about what you'd want if you could only be told one:  What time is it?  Obviously the hour would help the most.   When did you see that new movie (date)?  Obviously the day would help the most.

For historical situations, it's different, and depends on the scale.  For short-term within the last year, obviously the month is the most important, but for anything beyond a couple years the year is the most important.  Ultimately I would say day-month-year makes the most sense because the majority of the time a date is brought up, it will be a date within 3 weeks of the current date, since people talk about the present more than the past or future (especially when using exact dates).

Negative.  With time of day, the hour is the most important, with the minutes much less so, and the seconds almost completely irrelevant.  With the date, for the current or very recent date, the day is most important, since you can deduce the month based on that if it's within a couple weeks, and you obviously know the year.  Think about what you'd want if you could only be told one:  What time is it?  Obviously the hour would help the most.   When did you see that new movie (date)?  Obviously the day would help the most.

For historical situations, it's different, and depends on the scale.  For short-term within the last year, obviously the month is the most important, but for anything beyond a couple years the year is the most important.  Ultimately I would say day-month-year makes the most sense because the majority of the time a date is brought up, it will be a date within 3 weeks of the current date, since people talk about the present more than the past or future (especially when using exact dates).

It depends on the context... This is the main reason I love Year Month Date order instead:

Create file names 10012012, 09022013, then sort the directory in alphabetical order from A to Z.

Now do it with the file names changed to 20120110 and 20130209.

You will see that 09022013 shows up before 10012012 even though 09022013 is a later date than 10012012.

Now imagine hundreds of files with different dates spanning multiple years. Ignoring metadata like date created and date last modified, this method would create a mess when it comes to sorting files.

Remember, I'm not talking about which unit is most important to know in daily activities. I'm talking mathematically, like what mozamcrew said. YYYY MM DD makes the most sense mathematically since that format makes it easy to do certain algorithms with it, such as sorting.

In any case, I won't let this thread take more of a detour than it has, so this is it for me on this topic. :)

• Like 1

i'll take the 50 bucks less AND lose the g2 bloatware..hardware is identical or nearly so.....

I'm with you. The IR blaster on the G2 doesn't do a whole lot for me (I prefer my harmony ultimate). If it's only available through sprint channels I may reconsider and put my focus back on the G2. Hows the 4G up in Brunswick?

if we are correct in that there is only one North American model, then I dont think the sprint version could do anything differently than the play store version which would be unlocked and avaialble for any bands.

I would not be surprised if the sprint variant had blocked the other bands/locked it to sprint.

I'm no expert on how carriers authenticate/block/activate/etc, but it seems plausible. 

i'll take the 50 bucks less AND lose the g2 bloatware..hardware is identical or nearly so.....

Besides using the same processor, I don't see how the two phones are similar.

Besides using the same processor, I don't see how the two phones are similar.

Theyre not. The G2 is too large (for me) and has crappy software.

While AOSP ROMs like CM are much better than any stock software and can be installed on the G2...man after running CM on 3 phones for over 3 years, I am sooo tired of the numerous bugs and constant flashing. Cannot wait to have a pure android experience like my Nexus 7 has.

Better camera, larger battery, IR blaster, larger screen.  Imo, the G2 is worth the upgrade.  Especially since AOSP roms are already popping up like mad on the current G2 variants.  Sprint's development will be very active because of the competitive price points.

Meaning what exactly?

The power and volume buttons will probably be made from zirconium like the Lumia 920's. Real world benefits are minimal, but they'll probably be scratch resistant and feel pretty cool.

The problem is if the Nexus 5 lacks engineering screens -- like the Nexus 4 last year -- then it is not suitable for wireless network tracking. It is basically an iPhone for the Android crowd.

AJ

• Like 1