Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

Just saw this about 5 minutes ago. I like the cases, they look nice. Too bad the phone isn't out yet. IDK about buying cases before the phone comes out, what if it's not the same or one little thing is off?

-Luis

That is probably the price if you buy it through a carrier like the Nexus 4 on T-Mobile. However, this will not be the price through Google. Remember how for a split second the Nexus 5 (16gb) did appear on the Play Store and it had a $349 price. But through Google will probably be for GSM carriers only?

That is probably the price if you buy it through a carrier like the Nexus 4 on T-Mobile. However, this will not be the price through Google. Remember how for a split second the Nexus 5 (16gb) did appear on the Play Store and it had a $349 price. But through Google will probably be for GSM carriers only?

That's what I'm afraid of. The Galaxy Nexus was only available on GSM through Google while the CDMA versions were only available through their carriers at an increased price.

That's what I'm afraid of. The Galaxy Nexus was only available on GSM through Google while the CDMA versions were only available through their carriers at an increased price.

Okay, first of all, I have been reading this forum for years and just signed up so I could reply to this lol. Anyway, while I understand Sprint could do what Tmo did for the N4 last year, how could they release a GSM version only for google play, when the D820 already supports Sprint's CDMA bands? I'm in no way implying this could not happen, but how would they block CDMA on some D820s and not on others? Sim related?

Edited by Shiki8

Okay, first of all, I have been reading this forum for years and just signed up so I could reply to this lol. Anyway, while I understand Sprint could do what Tmo did for the N4 last year, how could they release a GSM version only for google play, when the D820 already supports Sprint's CDMA bands? I'm in no way implying this could not happen, but how would they block CDMA on some D820s and not on others? Sim related?

The CDMA version will be sold through the carriers at an increased cost. Google will only sell the unlocked GSM version.

AFAIK with GSM it's just putting a SIM card in. With CDMA you need some type of authentication file to be included in the framework? (or something like this) and hence why Google can't sell it directly.

The CDMA version will be sold through the carriers at an increased cost. Google will only sell the unlocked GSM version.

AFAIK with GSM it's just putting a SIM card in. With CDMA you need some type of authentication file to be included in the framework? (or something like this) and hence why Google can't sell it directly.

I totally understand what you're saying and don't disagree that what you're saying may be a possibility, but there is no "CDMA verison". There's only a single device in this case aka D820. If there were two varieties, one GSM & one CDMA, then sure, but this is different. Here's to hoping lol

Edited by Shiki8

Sprint could decide to only put a subset of the devices into their DB and only allow those sold specifically for their network to be activated. I don't know about a CDMA authentication file, but the main obstacle is getting the CDMA carrier to activate it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I totally understand what you're saying and don't disagree that what you're saying may be a possibility, but there is no "CDMA verison". There's only a single device in this case aka D820. If there were two varieties, one GSM & one CDMA, then sure, but this is different. Here's to hoping lol

I now see what you are saying.

Does Google Play take Paypal for hardware?

Sent from me phone

Nope they want you to use Google wallet. You can't even use Google play giftcards or credits to buy hardware.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

So, for the sake of argument, let's say that the 31st rumor is true.  I really hope Sprint gets the word out ahead of time, answering the lingering questions of price (32 GB that is), and if the Play Store version will be able to be activated on Sprint.  With the complete lack of information coming "directly from Google" on this, I could see them just dumping it out there and letting people have at it. 

Again, if you believe that the 31st is happening, and unless everyone has been incredibly hush hush about getting invites, there really just isn't time to have an event for it anymore at this point.  I guess it didn't seem to hurt the N4 that they ended up having no event, so perhaps they'll go that kind of route with the N5 as well?

There isn't necessarily a "file". As mentioned earlier in this thread. For CDMA, all devices are preloaded in the system, they just aren't attached to a subscriber. Since the device is preloaded this also allows devices to be marked as lost or stolen while changes to say an older device. The stolen is still blacked out. I understand that there is one model that includes all the bands, but say Google does sell the ones to be active at Sprint the consumer would still have to specify which carrier they want because Google will need to ship a device with the HEX preloaded in Sprint's data base. I am hoping Google busts an Apple to sell to all carriers.

Quick question... Outside of the phone being unlocked and hopefully cheap,  is the G2 the same as the nexus? 

I know the buttons are different but from a rf, and processor, memory etc they are equivalent?

Quick question... Outside of the phone being unlocked and hopefully cheap,  is the G2 the same as the nexus? 

I know the buttons are different but from a rf, and processor, memory etc they are equivalent?

No not equivalent. Well, I don't know about RF, but the G2 has better specs in most categories. Except possibly memory, that may be equivalent, though I can't remember. 

No not equivalent. Well, I don't know about RF, but the G2 has better specs in most categories. Except possibly memory, that may be equivalent, though I can't remember.

Battery, cameras, and screen size are different. They both have a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 MSM8974 and 2GB of Ram.

• Like 1