Sprint Launches LTE in New York, Philadelphia, Portland and 56 other communities, July 30, 2013

I don't understand why AT&T always gets such a bad rep. I was an AT&T iPhone/BlackBerry customer in SW Florida for 2 years- never had a dropped call, fast, consistent data, and more than adequate customer service.

The only reason I left was because I was tired of paying $100 every month for capped data.

I don't understand why AT&T always gets such a bad rep. I was an AT&T iPhone/BlackBerry customer in SW Florida for 2 years- never had a dropped call, fast, consistent data, and more than adequate customer service.

The only reason I left was because I was tired of paying $100 every month for capped data.

Because AT&T's network isn't all that it is hyped up to be. For example, here in NYC, AT&T has no cell service in the bar at the Hard Rock Cafe, which is located about 400 feet away from an AT&T store.

Because AT&T's network isn't all that it is hyped up to be. For example, here in NYC, AT&T has no cell service in the bar at the Hard Rock Cafe, which is located about 400 feet away from an AT&T store.

I couldn't get a signal at all inside my house when I had AT&T, but with Sprint I am sitting on 3 bars usually and I don't get dropped calls.

• Like 2

Im a Sprint customer because AT&T was crap every day.

• Like 1

That quote I posted was from a good friend of mine, iPhone early adopter and app developer, who lived through the iPhone 1st gen, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS on AT&T. He jumped to VZW for the 4, skipped the 4S, and is now on Sprint with the 5. He hated AT&T, but "had to have them" because of the iPhone. 

Edit: Which, looking at:

http://specmap.sequence-omega.net/

It looks like AT&T has no Cellular holdings in the greater Grand Rapids, Michigan, nor Lansing (VZW has both sides thanks to the Alltel buyout), so it's likely all PCS sites here. Makes me wonder if they don't have similar "bad spacing" problems...

That quote I posted was from a good friend of mine, iPhone early adopter and app developer, who lived through the iPhone 1st gen, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS on AT&T. He jumped to VZW for the 4, skipped the 4S, and is now on Sprint with the 5. He hated AT&T, but "had to have them" because of the iPhone. 

That was my trajectory, too. AT&T for the 3G, 3GS, 4. Sprint for the 4S, soon to be 5S.

I love reading all the news articles that make it seem as if the LTE coverage went from 0% to 100% as Sprint flips a switch when they send out the press release.

Rather than the LTE coverage going from 52% to 53%. in the city.

Makes you wonder how much else they get so wrong

It makes you think that?!?  Wow it doesn't make me think that at all!  Maybe that's cause I actually understand it's 100% marketing and you don't...

I love reading all the news articles that make it seem as if the LTE coverage went from 0% to 100% as Sprint flips a switch when they send out the press release.

Rather than the LTE coverage going from 52% to 53%. in the city.

Makes you wonder how much else they get so wrong

It makes you think that?!?  Wow it doesn't make me think that at all!  Maybe that's cause I actually understand it's 100% marketing and you don't...

You think news organizations should act as marketers?

I think there was a little disconnect here. Pretty sure you're both on the same page about it just being marketing. 

It bugs me too that that sites report the press release like Sprint just this day decided to light up the cities, when in reality the LTE coverage didn't change.

• 4 weeks later...

Where you live and where you had AT&T service they might be better but that is your experience.

Where I live  in Columbus Ohio (when I had AT&T) the data was fine, but I dropped calls much more on AT&T then with Sprint.  I can also speak for my cousin who had AT&T in Cincinnati - who has switched to Verizon because of dropped calls.  I read that AT&T dropped calls twice as much as Verizon just a couple years ago, but you never know things change quickly.  Maybe AT&T has fixed a lot of that.