Sprint Launches LTE in New York, Philadelphia, Portland and 56 other communities, July 30, 2013

I live in Wausau, wi. There is a few sites with live LTE. But wonder when the smr will go live here. Even tho if and when I Prolly won't get it with the prl on my note 2. 2000.. wonder when they will fix the prl on this phone?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have had coverage throughout Gresham and Beaverton. There are holes but it is mainly because of the 1900.

I think it's pretty ridiculous to launch Portland when there still isn't a single site broadcasting LTE... not in Gresham, Beaverton, or Vancouver, but in downtown Portland. If I'm in a tall enough building I'll pick up a weak signal from a site in SE, over 2 miles away.

At least the legacy network is holding up pretty well in most places, with sub-100ms ping times more often than not. I'm hoping the story is very different 6 months or a year from now, with ESMR's building penetration, hopefully a TDD rollout as large as the existing WiMax footprint in town, and 100% sites NV complete.

Edited by iconic

I love reading all the news articles that make it seem as if the LTE coverage went from 0% to 100% as Sprint flips a switch when they send out the press release.

Rather than the LTE coverage going from 52% to 53%. in the city.

Makes you wonder how much else they get so wrong

• Like 3

I love reading all the news articles that make it seem as if the LTE coverage went from 0% to 100% as Sprint flips a switch when they send out the press release.

Rather than the LTE coverage going from 52% to 53%. in the city.

Makes you wonder how much else they get so wrong

Yep I'm sitting here at work on 3G right now because they decided to turn LTE off on my local tower near my work, granted 3G is plenty fast now I get sub 60ms pings and 1.5-2.0Mbps so I'm not complaining too bad but it would be nice to be on LTE.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Can somebody please tell me something? Why, oh why does Ohio not have any markets active? This is pure lunacy! I simply don't understand the lack of any significant coverage in my state.

Can somebody please tell me something? Why, oh why does Ohio not have any markets active? This is pure lunacy! I simply don't understand the lack of any significant coverage in my state.

Motorola. Nuff said. 

• Like 2

So if I understand you correctly, Ohio is littered with Motorola equipment which is slowing down NV deployment?

Do you want to experience what the Chicago subscribers experienced last year?

Enlighten me, and fill my empty mind with knowledge!

The legacy Motorola equipment does not play nice with the new Samsung equipment. It results in an enormous amount of dropped calls and poor data sessions. They've waited until they can rapidly plow through all the sites in the Ohio markets so that they can create as little disruption as possible while they swap out the Motorola and activate the Samsung.

There's quite a bit of work already done in all the Ohio markets, with LTE active in several places now in Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland. 

So if I understand you correctly, Ohio is littered with Motorola equipment which is slowing down NV deployment?

Yes.  Unfortunately the issue is that Samsung NV equipment and Motorola legacy equipment don't handoff voice to each other smoothly.  This means hard drop calls when attempting to hand off between NV and legacy.  So in order to minimize the disruption, Sprint can't just turn on a NV completed 3G sites one by one since customers who connect to those NV sites will get a hard drop off when calling.  Therefore, Sprint doesn't want to accept any NV sites (hence not much updates in Ohio markets) until a ton of them in the market have been NV upgraded so that they can shut down the legacy CDMA network side.  It sucks but luckily no Motorola will be used by Sprint in the future.  Nextel iDEN was plenty enough and Sprint just needs to get rid of the remaining Motorola equipment it has at Sprint legacy sites.

Also keep in mind that lack of backhaul issue is a major stickler in slowing down NV deployment for LTE and this is a Sprint nationwide issue.

Ocala fl where I live was definitely not ready to be launched. The most important part of the city still has no 4g lte. There only corporate sprint store has virtually no 3g data right in the middle of the city. They haven't gotten to the most important tower in the city yet to the point where I can almost call this false advertising. Side note loving my new nexus 7 :)

Corporate stores usually run off repeaters aimed at a macro cell. Once that macro cell is upgraded, the store will have the enhancements as well by virtue of that repeater. LTE on the other hand is a different story, the old repeater equipment obviously doesn't support that and will need a separate install in store if the macro coverage isn't adequate inside.

Nice but like all the previous markets, these markets are not fully optimized and 100%. Once LTE is on 800/2500 then that would be awesome

Not really. I for one know Morgan City is 100% done on LTE. It is technically only one site but even the surrounding cities are done as well. So don't count them all as not finished.

Not really. I for one know Morgan City is 100% done on LTE. It is technically only one site but even the surrounding cities are done as well. So don't count them all as not finished.

Morgan City is not a full Sprint market in and of itself however. I would assume it is part of the New Orleans or Southern LA market based on a cursory Google Search and no knowledge whatsoever of the Sprint market layout in that specific region. One city does not a market make (in most cases).

Morgan City is not a full Sprint market in and of itself however. I would assume it is part of the New Orleans or Southern LA market based on a cursory Google Search and no knowledge whatsoever of the Sprint market layout in that specific region. One city does not a market make (in most cases).

You need to go to the school of Sprint PR and learn what their market definition is.

You need to go to the school of Sprint PR and learn what their market definition is.

attempting to rob candy from little school children. 

At least now Sprint will have an increasingly robust network to advertise.  

attempting to rob candy from little school children. 

At least now Sprint will have an increasingly robust network to advertise.  

Not sure about the increasingly robust part.  There's been a increasingly amount of sites in our region that have been failing, some are new sites, some have been active for months.  Ericsson will have their work cut out for them to keep this stuff going I see.  A big game of whack a mole.

Not sure about the increasingly robust part.  There's been a increasingly amount of sites in our region that have been failing, some are new sites, some have been active for months.  Ericsson will have their work cut out for them to keep this stuff going I see.  A big game of whack a mole.

Perhaps i'm staring further down the road. I just mean there is more spectrum deployment on the way, and i see no end to this. 

Marketing and reality and never the same, for any company. Apple is a perfect example of this. It isn't magic that powers their devices, or even innovation, it's technology other people developed but they incorporated and marketed better.

As far as a standard Sprint market is concerned, Morgan City is not. It may be for announcements, but not in reality. The only reason Sprint is announcing LTE this way is because it lines up better with what competitors are announcing. People like numbers, 99 markets doesn't sound like a lot, but that's how Sprint's standard markets nationwide are setup.

Marketing and reality and never the same, for any company. Apple is a perfect example of this. It isn't magic that powers their devices, or even innovation, it's technology other people developed but they incorporated and marketed better.

As far as a standard Sprint market is concerned, Morgan City is not. It may be for announcements, but not in reality. The only reason Sprint is announcing LTE this way is because it lines up better with what competitors are announcing. People like numbers, 99 markets doesn't sound like a lot, but that's how Sprint's standard markets nationwide are setup.

I fully understand the realm of the 99 markets, but we aren't talking about the technical markets, we are talking about the Sprint PR markets which you have pointed there are many more.  I was pointing out that the Sprint PR Market of Morgan City is 100% done where someone wasn't saying the Sprint PR markets released were not. In future I guess we need to make that distinction to prevent confusion much other terms thrown around confuse even myself as people use them in different ways.

Alas the "market" train left the station when AT&T started advertising having 4G (at the time, and probably still today, mostly HSDPA) in "2000 more cities and towns" than Verizon's LTE.

Alas the "market" train left the station when AT&T started advertising having 4G (at the time, and probably still today, mostly HSDPA) in "2000 more cities and towns" than Verizon's LTE.

Right but AT&T also said they had the fewest dropped calls.

Nothing they say should be taken as a fact

• Like 2

Right but AT&T also said they had the fewest dropped calls.

Nothing they say should be taken as a fact

"What's the difference between an AT&T iPhone and an iPod Touch? Nothing, neither can make calls."

• Like 8