Sprint Launches LTE in New York, Philadelphia, Portland and 56 other communities, July 30, 2013

The interesting thing is, even though they have only officially talked about Bronx and Brooklyn, the coverage maps are showing LTE in all five boroughs. Not complete coverage, there are holes, but the coverage is showing, which is odd if they aren't actually launching them.

I was looking at sensoeley the other day and NYC LOOKS about 90% covered not counting Staten Island(forgot to look). Manhattan, the Bronx and Brooklyn are covered. Brooklyn seems to have a hole down by seagate and IIRC downtown brooklyn is spotty. Queens has holes out on the Rockaway penisnula and the extreme eastern porton of the borough. In comparison to other markets that they have "launched" I dont see why they cant announce all of NYC or atleast four out of five boroughs.

I was looking at sensoeley the other day and NYC LOOKS about 90% covered not counting Staten Island(forgot to look). Manhattan, the Bronx and Brooklyn are covered. Brooklyn seems to have a hole down by seagate and IIRC downtown brooklyn is spotty. Queens has holes out on the Rockaway penisnula and the extreme eastern porton of the borough. In comparison to other markets that they have "launched" I dont see why they cant announce all of NYC or atleast four out of five boroughs.

If you zoom in closer, there are a lot more holes. Also, Lower Manhattan is very poorly covered. Most of it is "light purple" which in reality equates to fringe or no signal for most devices.

If you zoom in closer, there are a lot more holes. Also, Lower Manhattan is very poorly covered. Most of it is "light purple" which in reality equates to fringe or no signal for most devices.

Yeah. I missed that. The west side of the financial district has no covergae and there are several small pockets through out Manhattan. What is puzziling though is that there are several pockets in both the Bronx and Brooklyn with brooklyn having some sizable gaps in coverage but they are still launching those two boroughs but not Manhattan.

Yeah. I missed that. The west side of the financial district has no covergae and there are several small pockets through out Manhattan. What is puzziling though is that there are several pockets in both the Bronx and Brooklyn with brooklyn having some sizable gaps in coverage but they are still launching those two boroughs but not Manhattan.

It would make no sense to launch Manhattan with no coverage in the financial district

• Like 1

I wish we could just bombard Sprint and encourage them to change their coverage maps, because not only are they inaccurate, they are a pain in the behind. They need a Google maps based coverage map, similar to Sensorly's & Clear. That would actually be useful. Hopefully Son realizes that.

• Like 5

Suddenly, by chance 20 towers go live with LTE...not.

I am just praying that the sites that had LTE previously, but got turned off, will turn on again.

That seems quite legitamately likely.

That seems quite legitamately likely.

Actually, it's not very likely. Any site that is complete is active. If they're not, then either they haven't been upgraded or there's some kind of problem. Launch day doesn't change which towers are active.

Actually, it's not very likely. Any site that is complete is active. If they're not, then either they haven't been upgraded or there's some kind of problem. Launch day doesn't change which towers are active.

is there a way to change the "power" or tilt of the tower on launch day... seems most of the towers I've seen (Pittsburgh area) do not overlap, which would make sense for testing to make sure you can connect to the tower your upgrading.. Once they  launch  is it possible that the range of all the towers will expand and close these gaps in current coverage?

The underlined are the "larger" cities/markets that Sprint has had a noticeable absence, at least according to the other carriers and critics. Just noting that Sprint is trying to make things look better by adding more larger cities, and not just the outskirts this time.

So then what's which "launching" Punta Gorda first over Sarasota?

is there a way to change the "power" or tilt of the tower on launch day... seems most of the towers I've seen (Pittsburgh area) do not overlap, which would make sense for testing to make sure you can connect to the tower your upgrading.. Once they  launch  is it possible that the range of all the towers will expand and close these gaps in current coverage?

No, coverage won't change on launch day. The areas that don't overlap is because there are sites in between that haven't been upgraded. Once those sites are completed, you'll see the holes fill in.

So then what's which "launching" Punta Gorda first over Sarasota?

What's with?

Punta Gorda has enough towers completed to launch, whereas Sarasota doesn't. Just luck of the draw as far as which towers are completed first. Sprint is not focusing efforts on populated areas, they're focusing their efforts on getting towers upgraded. Whenever the pieces fall into place (permits, equipment, man power, bakchaul etc.) Sprint jumps on the tower, no matter where it is.

so...according to this thread and Sprint's coverage maps, Salinas, CA will go from having only 2 LTE accepted (and broadcasting) sites to having four more (for a total of 6) sites upgraded and broadcasting in 4-5 days.

highly unlikely. the only 2 sites that have LTE have been broadcasting since March. I've called sprint in the last 2 weeks and spoke with a network rep that had told seached on her maps that show the completion/acceptance and the expected work dates for the towers. the 2 with LTE were supposedly 100% complete. the other four had a TBD date or were inprogress for NV work to start. If the Sprint maps is as accurate as can be, then even the network team was clueless to all towers being complete.

So whats the consensus here? can Sprint pull a magic trick and flick the switch on the remaining towers in 4 days?

so...according to this thread and Sprint's coverage maps, Salinas, CA will go from having only 2 LTE accepted (and broadcasting) sites to having four more (for a total of 6) sites upgraded and broadcasting in 4-5 days.

highly unlikely. the only 2 sites that have LTE have been broadcasting since March. I've called sprint in the last 2 weeks and spoke with a network rep that had told seached on her maps that show the completion/acceptance and the expected work dates for the towers. the 2 with LTE were supposedly 100% complete. the other four had a TBD date or were inprogress for NV work to start. If the Sprint maps is as accurate as can be, then even the network team was clueless to all towers being complete.

So whats the consensus here? can Sprint pull a magic trick and flick the switch on the remaining towers in 4 days?

What makes you think the other towers are coming online next week? On our maps I see two in town and two on the outskirts. That's probably how it will be next week as well.

I think by now we're pretty sure there is a disconnect between marketing, engineering, and the mapping. None of it really lines up.

Yeah, Tmobile is forcing them to announce more markets.  I honestly don't think Sprint will be a viable player across all markets until 800LTE turns on and tri-band phones come out.  There are just too many gaps with 1900.

Is there a timeframe for LTE 800 ? I know obviously 800 LTE phones help.. haha

What makes you think the other towers are coming online next week? On our maps I see two in town and two on the outskirts. That's probably how it will be next week as well.

I think by now we're pretty sure there is a disconnect between marketing, engineering, and the mapping. None of it really lines up.

Nothing makes me believe they can get those towers online anytime soon. I am fully aware Sprint likes to market areas as launched despite not having even 50% of towers in a given city upgraded. It's just annoying how they can falsely advertise their coverage.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Where I live there are a few sites that had the upgrade that are not pushing LTE and three that are pushing out LTE. Well have to wait to find out in a few days.

sent from my note 2 using Tapatalk 5 HD

Sprint officially launches 41 new "markets", 59 new cities today!

Here's the full list.

• Fremont, CA
  • Hayward, CA
  • King City, CA
  • Oakland, CA
  • Salinas, CA
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Deerfield Beach, FL
  • Deltona, FL
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
  • Homosassa Springs, FL
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Ocala, FL
  • Ormond Beach, FL
  • Palm Coast, FL
  • Pompano, FL
  • Port Charlotte, FL
  • Punta Gorda, FL
  • Kokomo, IN
  • Morgan City, LA
  • Fitchburg, MA
  • Leomister, MA
  • Springfield, MA
  • Worcester, MA
  • Big Rapids, MI
  • Cadillac, MI
  • Flint, MI
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Greenville, MI
  • Holland, MI
  • Saginaw, MI
  • Fairbault, MN
  • Northfield, MN
  • Columbus, MS
  • Greenwood, MS
  • Tupelo, MS
  • Chapel Hill, NC
  • Durham, NC
  • Fayettville, NC
  • Greenville, NC
  • Mooresville, NC
  • Rocky Mount, NC
  • Wilson, NC
  • Bronx, NY
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Ponca City, OK
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Portland, OR
  • Lebanon, PA
  • Philidelphia, PA
  • Dyersburg, TN
  • Jackson, TN
  • Nashville, TN
  • Brownsville, TX
  • Harlingen, TX
  • Laredo, TX
  • Nacogdoches, TX
  • Baraboo, WI
  • Beaver Dam, WI
  • Wausau, WI

Ocala fl where I live was definitely not ready to be launched. The most important part of the city still has no 4g lte. There only corporate sprint store has virtually no 3g data right in the middle of the city. They haven't gotten to the most important tower in the city yet to the point where I can almost call this false advertising. Side note loving my new nexus 7 :)

<p>

Sprint officially launches 41 new markets, 59 new cities today!

Here's the full list.

• <snip>

Nice but like all the previous markets, these markets are not fully optimized and 100%. Once LTE is on 800/2500 then that would be awesome