Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

So what are we going to see right away? How about places with no LTE get some damn LTE :rolleyes: or is everything they have been talking about going to take forever?

The time table for NV has not change since the last time sprint revised it six months or so ago. I am personally expecting them to push back the completion date, but that is nothing more than a guess and I might happily be disappointed.

Its not going away. Could they throttle and shape traffic? Yes, they are. Could they raise the price later and still keep their promise of offering it? Yes. First thing to change or get axed would be corporate discounts

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

In fact, based on the terms of service with the new plans, they intend to do just that - even expliciting stating upfront that they may throttle video to 1mbps, and that other service data may take priority over them

It wouldn't surprise me to see two sets of plans once NV is done - a limited, but higher priority plan, and an unlimited, but lower priority plan.

Assuming the network is up to snuff, it may be the best of both worlds, you can accept limits to get priority access to the network, or go unlimited and be free to use what's available, which most of the time will probably be more than enough.

Im pretty sure Sprint has said they plan to keep unlimited data with the newer plans but with the older everything data plans the unlimited might go away

No, folks with old plans are grandfathered in. They can't change the terms of the service that substantially without nullifying the contract. Sprint was probably flirting with the idea of doing away with unlimited, but once the Clear sale closed, the oodles of spectrum in Band 41 gave Sprint the confidence to offer the "Unlimited for Life" guarantee.

Roughly speaking, Sprint has half the customers of AT&T or Verizon but twice the spectrum. Between carrier aggregation and smart QoS/throttling, they will not technologically (ignoring what the CFO may say) need to cap data to smartphones for a long time.

• Like 1

Everyone miss this today or am I a bad searcher?

http://bgr.com/2013/10/15/softbank-supercell-investment-analysis/

Yes!  Bring on the supercells!

kansas-supercell-wheat-field.jpg

AJ

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand why cell phone makers need a distributor. Am I to understand that there is a middle person between (example) Samsung & Sprint? So is this middle person to blame when distribution is an issue, not cell phone makers?

Sent from my tiny N3

This article dated from October of last year gives a very compelling case for a Google and Sprint merger. (The bullet points listed are essentially a rehash of the article).

Essentially, Google and Softbank have a strong history of collaboration

• In 2010, SoftBank’s Yahoo Japan subsidiary outsourced Yahoo Japan’s dominant #1 search and advertising monetization platform to the #2 competitor in Japan, Google, which gave Google a 90% search advertising monopoly in Japan.
  • SoftBank strategically co-invested in Zynga with Google corporate, not Google Ventures.

• SoftBank was an early Japanese big corporate adopter of Google Apps for its 26,000 employees, and also launched an Android-powered “Yahoo-phone” in Japan.

• Softbank and Google’s founders both started in then software/Internet business and then evolved and converged their tech-rooted businesses into communications. And more importantly, both share an entrepreneurial-founders’ kinship for thinking big, looking ahead, taking big risks, and leveraging big technological disruption against incumbents to grow.

Strong cases for a Google and Softbank|Sprint merger

• Google was an early investor of Clearwire spectrum in 2008. Sprint now owns 100% of Clearwire
  • Google Fiber is located in Kansas City. Where is the HQ of Sprint? Kansas City.
  • Google knows Sprint is one of the three original companies which managed the first Internet Network Access points in 1994, and that Sprint is still a global Tier 1 Internet backbone provider. (they will need a top tier backbone to deliver the growing streaming video consumption, a la Youtube, Netflix, etc)

Google's business strategy

• Its Google+ omni-integration signals Google is expanding and integrating 360 degrees with designs on entering most every part of the broader Internet ecosystem. Android, Google-Motorola, and Google Play are at Apple. Chrome, Google Docs, and Google Apps are at Microsoft. Google+ is at FaceBook. Google Wallet, Checkout, Shopping, and Books are at Amazon and eBay. Google Fiber and Android are at ISPs. Google’s YouTube investment in proprietary YouTube content is going at cable, broadcasters, DBS, ISPs, and all proprietary video content producers. Google News is at the media. Google-ITA is at the travel industry. Google Finance is at financial companies. etc. etc. etc.
  • Simply, if Google seeks to become more fully-vertically-integrated, or omni-integrated as only Google can, SoftBank-Sprint is a potentially valuable strategic asset for Google, in the vein that Google-Motorola enables Google to engage in more efficient/effective software-hardware integration. If Google were to “merge without merging” or to acquire SoftBank-Sprint in the future, Google then could be the only global player to integrate Internet, software, hardware, communications and content. If that is Google’s omni-integration ambition, SoftBank-Sprint would be a logical strategic building block for that long-term vision.

How does Dish Network come into play? 

• Dish Network held talks back in November of 2012 with Google over launching a wireless network. 
  • The WSJ reported back in January that Google Engineers were creating a small-scall wireless network (on Clearwire 2.5GHz EBS and BRS spectrum) at their Mountain View campus. It just so happens that Dish Network and nTelos are collaborating on a fixed wireless LTE service on the same exact spectrum. 
  • A report (3/5/13) from an investment group stated that "Sprint might yet partner with Dish Network down the road, after Sprint closes the SoftBank and Clearwire deals.
  • I believe the fixed wireless LTE testing Dish and nTelos is doing will be the future of Google's ISP. A user would have a femtocell that would connect to the Clearwire spectrum all while maintaining a strong signal within the home or office. <--- i could be wrong. let me know what you guys think. 
Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Here are some other articles talking about what a Sprint and Google merger would look like

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/75074.html (2012)

If Sprint is not acquired, there is still plenty of opportunity on the network side for both Apple and Google. They could do business with and resell the networks of AT&T and Verizon, for example.

In fact, this could even be better if their handsets can sniff out the strongest signals from all the carriers. That would give them a better offering than doing business with just one of the networks.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/why-google-should-buy-sprint-959?page=0,0 (2009)

Google has the money to make its vision of a cloud-based world of data and services on demand a reality. What it doesn't have is the means to deliver those data and services. Buying Sprint would give it that ability. Yes, I know Google's stockholders would howl, given the high capital investments needed. Too bad -- the investment will pay off handsomely for those can look past a few quarters.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/mobile-technology/could-att-mobile-lead-google-sprint-merger-238 (2011)

The duo announced that Sprint has integrated Google Voice, enabling customers to use their existing Sprint mobile phone numbers as their Google Voice numbers. Additionally, the new arrangement results in Google Voice's voicemail replacing Sprint voicemail.
Edited by cheese